PDA

View Full Version : All-Access Kentucky on ESPN

CaribouJim
11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyone else think All-Access Kentucky thing on ESPN was really lame? Not to mention a complete and total void of imagination. Come on ESPN - lazy enough? About 5 minutes was enough for me - seeing JC leave his mansion and getting into his fancy car was about all I could handle. Geez.

Do they just rotate MSU, Duke, UK for these kind of shows? And of course - the coaches get the vast majority of the face time and so much of it is contrived.

I would have been much more intrigued if they did it on a team that serves themselves up as a "buy" team. The trials and travails of being on the road so much of the time - dealing with 40 point losses etc.

The writer in the piece below thinks it is an unfair advantage - w/o seeming like I am whining, I kind of agree. Not too mention it is lousy TV:

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/columnists/benson/take-two-all-access-kentucky-gives-unnecessary-recruiting-edge/article_4a4b1c74-254e-11e2-871b-0019bb2963f4.html

Markedman
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I really think the NCAA should put a stop to this kind of stuff.

Not that Kentucky needs this show to pull in #1 classes but it is an advantage that other schools don't have.

GOMU1104
11-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I actually like the show...maybe you should watch more than 5 minutes of the 90 total so far, between the 3 episodes. Kentucky essentially gets any recruit they want, so how is it an advantage?

If you flip through CBS Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN U, etc...there are tons of these All Access Shows. Kentucky is the biggest, the best, so they get put on ESPN.

I would love for Marquette to be on it. And so would all of you...

The NCAA put a stop to this kind of stuff? What?

farmerdoc
11-05-2012, 03:44 PM
The problem is that the rich get richer due to this kind of exposure. Coach K and his American Express commercials seemed like a recruiting pitch to the whole country.

Giving a recruit a T shirt is bad, but giving a coach or a program this kind of free exposure is OK.

Seems to be a little hypocritical at best.

TheSultan
11-05-2012, 05:35 PM
There will never be a complete level playing field, and the less NCAA legislation the better.

farmerdoc
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I would just settle for level enforcement on the playing field.

TheSultan
11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I would just settle for level enforcement on the playing field.

Can't argue with that.