PDA

View Full Version : NCAA changes transfer guidelines....

IWB
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
NCAA tweaks transfer guidelines
Updated: November 2, 2012, 6:02 PM ET
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -The NCAA is putting a restriction on athletes who want to play immediately after changing schools to be closer to an ailing or injured family member.

The NCAA said Friday the athlete must choose a new school within 100 miles of the family member if it wants to play right away. Otherwise, the athlete will need to sit out a year as usual.

The NCAA said it was making the changes amid concerns that waiver decisions were not consistent from case to case.
--------------------------------------------------------

Now this wouldn't really change anything in a Trent Lockett situation as he had graduated, but it will impact the hardship kids, and I don't know that it is fair. 100 miles is not much.

Say a kid from Racine is playing in Florida. He has a sick parent, so wants to transfer home. MU is not his style but Wisconsin is. He lives on the south side of Racine, and it is 101 miles from home to the UW campus. Does that sound realistic that he be denied?

Take a kid like Dawson. Say he comes to MU and his dad gets sick. Wants to go play closer to home but there are no schools within 100 miles. What then? He is SOL because of where he is from?

Instead of putting a hard number on it, they should actually investigate these issues and rule on them instead of just pass/no-pass, 100 mile etc. How about you figure out if it is real or not?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't admire the NCAA and their position, while they don't do the greatest job they certainly are tasked with a very difficult role, and unfortunately like many laws, rules, and such out into place they have to exist because some people will constantly try to abuse them. It's really too bad that some kids will get screwed by this because most others wanted to abuse it. Really is a shame, I think a lot of the rules in the book are due to someone abusing the system, it really takes the fun out of the game that you love when you look at the dirtiness and the behind the scenes garbage that is college athletics.