PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Hizzoner!!!!

Gato78
11-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Mayor Beluga tied the knot yesterday, dressed in full kilt and going commando. One of the wedding's nice touches--the Fightin' 218 sat at the table numbered "218". I have never seen the Mayor so emotional-- with the exception of his tearful courtside joy in Minneapolis in 2003. Politician that he is, the cost of the reception was shouldred by the Beluga for Beluga Victory Fund, whatever that is. Congrats Mr. Mayor!!!

MUAlphaBangura
11-04-2012, 08:28 AM
We all found out last night who will be wearing the pants in that family! Happy for the mayor and proud to be considered a friend. Congrats! By the way, you are now added to the list, which includes many of us, that have totally overacheived when it comes to picking a mate.

IWB
11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Got to love a wedding where, as the receptions starts slowing down, they bring out 'za.

Great time, great MU stories flying around, and I managed to keep my eyes from seeing the underside of the mayor's dress.....or, um, kilt.

Funny hearing the family stories about how shocked they all were when Hizzoner said he was bringing a guest to a family dinner - described it as shock & awe.

TedBaxter
11-04-2012, 09:03 AM
The Mayor wasn't wearing a garter was he? Was Caribou there to catch it?

pbiflyer
11-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Without any inside knowledge, I am going to go out on a ledge here and guess that Hizzoner out kicked his coverage.
Congrats!!!

Gato78
11-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Have you seen him?

Without any inside knowledge, I am going to go out on a ledge here and guess that Hizzoner out kicked his coverage.
Congrats!!!

pbiflyer
11-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Gato, I have not.

Goose85
11-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Well he is not any better looking in a kilt.
Congrats Mayor!

Father Dan's Camera
11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Indeed, congrats to the mayor and Liz and big props to the table 218 designation which was well represented. The dum dums were a nice touch as well.

MayorBeluga
11-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks to all for the well-wishes. Great to see many gold ties. A special shout-out to Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger for wearing matching blue, gold and white argyle ties from Loudmouth.com, a fitting tribute to Hizzoner's classy pants.

ziggysfryboy
11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Who was the lucky dude?

CaribouJim
11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
The Mayor wasn't wearing a garter was he? Was Caribou there to catch it?

If I did I don't remember - I'm in day one of a 2-3 day hangover. A great day that was concluded with a great bowl of Real Chili. Awesome reception.

Gato78
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Apparently, Hizzoner comes up for air.

Thanks to all for the well-wishes. Great to see many gold ties. A special shout-out to Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger for wearing matching blue, gold and white argyle ties from Loudmouth.com, a fitting tribute to Hizzoner's classy pants.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Congrats, Hizzoner! I'll be following you down that aisle on November 30. Just hoping I can sneak away from the rehearsal dinner the night before to catch some of the Marquette/Florida game...

Goose85
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Congrats brewcity77. I'm sure checking in on that game will be acceptable.

IWB
11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
I can sneak away from the rehearsal dinner the night before to catch some of the Marquette/Florida game...

I guess we already know who will be in charge in that household. Getting married on an MU basketball weekend?

Attention: Those of you that have yet to walk down the aisle. When selecting that date, avoid the last week in February. Avoid the month of March. Avoid the first weekend in April. And, when it comes to the rest of the season, consider doing the following.....

Write out a donation check to Marquette Athletics. Take it to someone like Mike Broeker and say, "Mike, here is a check for MU. Also, here is a list of dates I am looking at for my wedding, including the rehearsal dinner. Now if it were you Mike, which weekend would work for you to attend?" Knowing Mike needs to be at every game but can't tell you the schedule, he may tell you which dates he is likely to be available.

Certainly worth the donation and as an added benefit, should add to your overall point total. Also, consider it a gift to your pending bride. "THAT IS MY GIFT!?!" she will likely ask? To where you respond, "Would you rather have had me distracted or even absent with an MU game?" She will certainly agree that it was the right call. If not, there are plenty of lawyers on this board that can help you through the immediate divorce.

MUMac
11-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I guess we already know who will be in charge in that household. Getting married on an MU basketball weekend?

Attention: Those of you that have yet to walk down the aisle. When selecting that date, avoid the last week in February. Avoid the month of March. Avoid the first weekend in April. And, when it comes to the rest of the season, consider doing the following.....

Write out a donation check to Marquette Athletics. Take it to someone like Mike Broeker and say, "Mike, here is a check for MU. Also, here is a list of dates I am looking at for my wedding, including the rehearsal dinner. Now if it were you Mike, which weekend would work for you to attend?" Knowing Mike needs to be at every game but can't tell you the schedule, he may tell you which dates he is likely to be available.

Certainly worth the donation and as an added benefit, should add to your overall point total. Also, consider it a gift to your pending bride. "THAT IS MY GIFT!?!" she will likely ask? To where you respond, "Would you rather have had me distracted or even absent with an MU game?" She will certainly agree that it was the right call. If not, there are plenty of lawyers on this board that can help you through the immediate divorce.

Good advice IWB. Hopefully I never need to fall back on this advice. ;)

Fortunately, Brew's situation is only with the rehersal dinner. It could get awkward secretly listening to the game at the altar. I am guessing the bride, and her family, would not be pleased with a sream of "YES" at the moment the priest asks "Is there anyone who knows a reason why this couple should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your peace".

IWB
11-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Classic Mac!

11-05-2012, 01:49 PM

:D Well, we picked the date a year in advance. I looked at the last week of November and figured the Friday was the least likely night for a Marquette game, and didn't expect a game as big as Florida to fall on the rehearsal dinner night. In addition to attending about 6-8 home games per year with me, she is having a special Marquette cake made for me for the rehearsal dinner, ordered a cake topper with the groom in a Marquette shirt, and perhaps most important, allowed me to write something about Marquette basketball into her wedding vows. She's pretty understanding when it comes to my Marquette basketball obsession ;)

Nukem2
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
:D Well, we picked the date a year in advance. I looked at the last week of November and figured the Friday was the least likely night for a Marquette game, and didn't expect a game as big as Florida to fall on the rehearsal dinner night. In addition to attending about 6-8 home games per year with me, she is having a special Marquette cake made for me for the rehearsal dinner, ordered a cake topper with the groom in a Marquette shirt, and perhaps most important, allowed me to write something about Marquette basketball into her wedding vows. She's pretty understanding when it comes to my Marquette basketball obsession ;)Be sure to get a special pre-nup to guarantee those MU BB rights...:cool:

IWB
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
:D Well, we picked the date a year in advance. I looked at the last week of November and figured the Friday was the least likely night for a Marquette game, and didn't expect a game as big as Florida to fall on the rehearsal dinner night. In addition to attending about 6-8 home games per year with me, she is having a special Marquette cake made for me for the rehearsal dinner, ordered a cake topper with the groom in a Marquette shirt, and perhaps most important, allowed me to write something about Marquette basketball into her wedding vows. She's pretty understanding when it comes to my Marquette basketball obsession ;)

Sounds like you made the right choice.

MayorBeluga
11-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Hizzoner & the new Mrs. Beluga had the choice of 2 dates at separate venues. The other date sin early December so Hizzoner had A certain poster (thanks Gato) check with Mike Broeker. Sure enough, the other date is the annual good v. evil matchup. Nuff said.

Thanks also to Hizzoner's nephew (junior at MU) who showed up at he rehearsal dinner wearing new blue & gold Loudmouth pants. Classy!

CaribouJim
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Hizzoner & the new Mrs. Beluga had the choice of 2 dates at separate venues. The other date sin early December so Hizzoner had A certain poster (thanks Gato) check with Mike Broeker. Sure enough, the other date is the annual good v. evil matchup. Nuff said.

Thanks also to Hizzoner's nephew (junior at MU) who showed up at he rehearsal dinner wearing new blue & gold Loudmouth pants. Classy!

Isn't the use of "B&G Loudmouth pants" and "Classy" in the same sentence redundant?

MayorBeluga
11-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Congrats, Hizzoner! I'll be following you down that aisle on November 30. Just hoping I can sneak away from the rehearsal dinner the night before to catch some of the Marquette/Florida game...

A belated (but still early) congrats to Brew. Feel free to seek out Hizzoner for any advice with this marriage thing, as after 6 days it seems pretty easy. It stays like this forever, right?

Also, for Gato's edification, with a kilt, one does not go commando. One goes "regimental" if you know what Hizzoner means. And Hizzoner thinks you do...

MUAlphaBangura
11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
A belated (but still early) congrats to Brew. Feel free to seek out Hizzoner for any advice with this marriage thing, as after 6 days it seems pretty easy. It stays like this forever, right?

Also, for Gato's edification, with a kilt, one does not go commando. One goes "regimental" if you know what Hizzoner means. And Hizzoner thinks you do...
Have you put your pants back on yet or will the Mayor's wife not allow it?

11-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Cheers, Hizzoner! If you can make it look easy for that long, I'm sure we're both destined for lifetimes of nothing but happiness :D

While I definitely was disappointed with the way Ohio State played out, in positive news, I should now be able to see the entire Florida game. She moved the rehearsal dinner up an hour so everything should be wrapped up around 8-8:30, which means I'll be able to settle in at the bar by 9:00. Of course, she didn't realize how much this helped my schedule, but as I heard everything changing over the phone, I just smiled, nodded, and said "Yes, honey, earlier would be better for all of us."