PDA

View Full Version : Big Weekend for MU Hoops

Goose85
11-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Today begins a big weekend for MU hoops, with three very important events.

1. Johnson scheduled to announce
2. Embiid scheduled to visit
3. At the end of the day today, Big East media rights opens up (Exclusive with ESPN ends at end of day Nov 1)

Will Johnson and Embiid further elevate an already outstanding group of incoming recruits?
Who will land the various parts of the Big East's media rights?
Will the TV deals lead to greater conference stability?

Exciting stuff for MU. Might be a nice time for IWB to head to Iowa and visit some in-laws for the weekend.

TedBaxter
11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Add the scrimmage with George Mason.

IWB
11-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Just a few quick updates from the discussions on the premium board regarding Jujuan Johnson.....

Yesterday: I spoke to two sources regarding the recruitment of Jujuan Johnson.

Source #1: Source does have an MU bias said he felt it was 50/50, could go Marquette or Alabama.

Source #2: Source is in Memphis and has no MU bias said it will be Marquette.

Today: Things sway.....

Roll Tide? - The Alabama Rivals site says they will be in Memphis covering the presser live. This is usually cause for concern, as why would someone drive 3 hours without knowing the answer?

Ring Out Ahoya? - Jerry Meyers from 24/7 Tweeted that the official visit to MU swayed Johnson and he is now expected to commit to Buzz Williams and Marquette.

So, what will it be? Really no way to know without talking to the player himself, but we are on top of it and will continue to provide updates as they come in.

TedBaxter
11-03-2012, 09:47 PM
After watching Larry Sanders playing for the Bucks tonight and seeing highlights of Joel Embiid, I think JoJo could be a similar type player.

Markedman
11-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow Embiid saw a GREAT game!

MUUWUWM
11-03-2012, 10:29 PM
He supposedly left at halftime.

lj854
11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't have any inside info on when he left, but at the very least he was tweeting about Irving's tying basket and Jennings' game-winner as they happened.

MUUWUWM
11-04-2012, 07:35 AM
One of the other boards says that they left before halftime....later in the thread they said they came back and saw the end of the game. Great ending.

IWB
11-05-2012, 06:56 AM
At halftime they probably went down and visited the Marquette locker room etc.

Goose85
11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Sounds like all went well for the Embiid visit. Wow, a commit by Embiid and that would blow the roof off MU hoops.

Are the stars aligning? Is Buzz on the verge of putting together the best recruiting class in the country that doesn't include a possible one and done player?

With Buzz (21st Century Al) here, we have a real chance at an extended period of very deep NCAA runs. The team he has put together, including Coach Chew, along with the guys coming in, this is going to be a very fun time to be a MU fan and to be going to the BC to watch college hoops.

I really think with what Buzz is building here, we are on the verge of year in and year out pre-season top 15 or better.

Keep up the great work Buzz!

IrwinFletcher
11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=Goose85;13394]

I really think with what Buzz is building here, we are on the verge of year in and year out pre-season top 15 or better.

QUOTE]

I think all of us here understand that polls in general and specifically pre-season polls mean nothing, with the exception of perception of a particular program.

The last few years, Marquette has lost a key player, were not ranked all that high in national polls or Big East polls, only to have someone step up and lead the team to a very successful year.

This year's team loses Junior, Lockett and possibly Otule. 3 guys who will be contributors (especially Junior) but none of them the face of the team.

If MU again has a successful campaign, I think we will see a strong ranking in next year's preseason poll....

....not that it matters;)

WindyCityGoldenEagle
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE
I think all of us here understand that polls in general and specifically pre-season polls mean nothing, with the exception of perception of a particular program.
QUOTE]

I'll give you that the preseason polls mean nothing, but I disagree with the "polls in general mean nothing." Being in the top 25 throughout the year leads to more recognition from the media and therefore more exposure to recruits via sportscenter highlights, being discussed by the talking heads etc. Whether you like it or not being in the top 25 is one of the metrics used by many (including teenage kids) to evaluate a program's relevance...perception is a HUGE factor in recruiting which as we all know is a sales industry.

GOMU1104
11-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Being ranked #25 means your score will always appear on the ESPN bottom line ticker, and the AP will pick up the score/stringer's write-up and will appear in papers throughout the country.

You dont get that ranked #26...

Goose85
11-05-2012, 01:30 PM
The best thing about being perennial top 25 to start the season is getting chances to play in games like the one this Friday. Helps get you on TV in the non conference portion of the schedule.

IrwinFletcher
11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE
I think all of us here understand that polls in general and specifically pre-season polls mean nothing, with the exception of perception of a particular program.QUOTE]

I'll give you that the preseason polls mean nothing, but I disagree with the "polls in general mean nothing." Being in the top 25 throughout the year leads to more recognition from the media and therefore more exposure to recruits via sportscenter highlights, being discussed by the talking heads etc. Whether you like it or not being in the top 25 is one of the metrics used by many (including teenage kids) to evaluate a program's relevance...perception is a HUGE factor in recruiting which as we all know is a sales industry.

I think that is what I am saying, no?