PDA

View Full Version : Louisville and B12

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-27-2012, 09:52 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--louisville-faces-stiff-challenge-in-convincing-coach-charlie-strong-to-stay-26571809.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Not surprising here, but Forde talks about Louisvilles fight to get into the big 12

Goose85
10-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Fight all they want. I don't think the Big 12 wants to expand right now. It is all about football and money. Right now they divide their shares 10 ways. I don't think Lousiville brings in that much money that it becomes a windfall for the current 10 teams. Championship games can also cost a conference a spot in the title game as well.

Take this year for example. If Kansas State runs the table from here, they are in the Championship game. If Oklahoma were to lose to ND, they would have two losses. Now if there was a Big 12 championship game between OK and K-State and OK were to win, neither would go and the Big 12 loses out on a big chunk of bowl change and a shot a title. If OK beats ND, and other teams lose and then get a loss in their championship games, it is possible Oklahoma and K-State will play for this years national title, not this years Big 12 title.

Florida and Alabama are unbeaten. If that stays the same, one will have to take a loss because they will play in a championship game. If they had no championship game, it is possible they would face off for the national title.

Championship games sound great, but they can also deliver a hit to the bowl money a conference can make.

IWB
10-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Agree completely Goo, the only question I have is what was agreed on when the Big XII cut their TV contract? Did they agree to get back to 12 in X number of years? Did the network say you need to get back to a conference championship by 2014? No clue, but wouldn't rule it out.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-29-2012, 08:45 AM
I would be curious too... Even though everyone is saying that they are happy as is I still don't feel comfortable. I see this thing getting ugly in years to come. I think end result will be the power conferences branching off.

TheSultan
10-29-2012, 08:47 AM
I don't think the power conferences branch off if they continue to get what they want - which is that they get to dictate how the football money is distributed. In other words, they develop the BCS system and take most of the revenues generated from that system. That being said, Louisville, UConn, Cincinnati, etc. would all jump to the ACC or Big 12 in a second if asked.

Goose85
10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
This could be a very telling post season to determine if the Big 12 wants to expand or not - does a conference championship game help or hurt?

Alabama is in the drivers seat if they win out. Either way, they will still have to play in SEC championship game. If they lose that, they are out of the title game. Would they still be in if it were a 4 team playoff?

Kansas State is #2. They have OK State, TCU, Baylor and Texas. If they win out, they should be in the title game (Big 12 is highly ranked conference for SOS) and would be a lock for a 4 team playoff. If there was a title game and they would lose, they would likely be out of both.

Notre Dame is #3. They should win next three, then play USC. If they win out and Bama loses SEC title game, do they get that spot in the BCS title game? If they win out, with no chance of a loss in a conference title game, they are in a 4 team playoff.

Oregon is #4. They have USC, Stanford and Oregon State left. If they win out and reach Pac 12 title game it will likely be against either USC or UCLA - not a boost in the strength of schedule department. Title game won't boost them to national title game, and a loss in that game would keep them out of a playoff.

You then have a run of SEC teams. LSU (#5) plays Alabama this week. If Bama wins, LSU is out. That moves in Georgia and Florida. Both will likely win out, and Georgia beat Florida so they will be in the title game agaisnt Alabama. Problem with Georgia is, even if they move past Oregon or ND (say one loses), Georgia would then get knocked out if they lose the SEC championship game. Would Florida, in a 4 team playoff, be better off not going to a title game?

I just think there is more money for the Big 12 if they expand, and a conference championship game this year may only hurt their chances of a title shot, or a spot in a four team playoff.

TheSultan
10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
There is more money for the B12 if they expand...but is there really more money per school?

See this is why I think the ACC made a big mistake adding Syracuse and Pitt. Dividing a larger pie 14 ways instead of a smaller one 12 ways oftentimes results in smaller pieces.

Nukem2
10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Perhaps those conference championship games will go away if they knock teams out of 4-team playoffs. And, Sultan is probably correct, less money per school.....?