PDA

View Full Version : Temple in, Louisville out? Says CBS...

IWB
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Brett McMurphy from CBS Sports is reporting that Temple is coming to the Big East (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34946571), and adds that it may be to replace a potential Louisville departure.

My guess is that Temple is interested, and the Big East is interested, but only if somebody else leaves.

My sources tell me that at this point, nobody is leaving.

Goose85
02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Adding Temple gives the Big East a replacement for WVU next season. Also gives the Big East 12 football teams in the 2013 and 2014 seasons so they can have a conference championship game. Navy is slated to come in 2015 and a lot can happen between now and 2015.

Buffer in case Louisville decides to leave so they can show the TV people in upcoming negotiations that they will have a 12 team league for football. Overall I understand it, and it does keep hoops strong. I guess this also shows Villanova is not going to step up in football.

Hamostradamus
02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Sounds more and more like Louisville is gone. Oh well, I'm sure they will be competitive in football in the Big 12.

Goose85
02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
I understand the desire of a school like Louisville to want to get into a conference with the big boys of football and the money that goes along with that move. I also look at Louisville and wonder if they will fund the football program like it needs to be funded to truly compete with the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Louisville will help out on the basketball end of the conference, but in the Big East they can be a legit contender in both football and hoops annually. In the Big 12they may be more like Iowa State, grab a bowl game here or there, but never really consider contending.

The Big 12 would be an interesting switch for Louisville in that next season 8 of the 10 Big 12 teams are from three states, Texas (4), Oklahoma (2) and Kansas (2). Currently Louisville has 3 players from Texas and one from Iowa.

I thought the Big East adding Central Florida would really help solidify recruiting in Florida for Louisville as it would give them two conference foes in the state. A quick look at their roster finds 29 players from the state of Florida, that shocked me. I don't know if that would change with the Big 12, but it was interesting to see that many from Florida.

Mark Miller
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Love Temple for basketball. Hate to lose Louisville, if that indeed happens.

Not much Marquette can do, but stick with the Big East ship for as long as possible.

From a basketball standpoint, adding Memphis and Temple takes away a bit of the sting from losing Syracuse, Pitt and West Virginia.

Goose85
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Tough to make up for losing Syracuse in hoops. Memphis and Temple offset Pitt / WVU.

I think Houston is an up and coming program and will be a good add as they are putting money into athletics. Just needed a shot at a BCS conference (for what that is worth these days).

I think if Louisville stays we are at 18 for hoops. Play everyone once and you have a 17 game conference season, no inequities of who you play twice.