PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sports Top 50 Wings

Goose85
10-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Finally, an MU player on the list. Trent Lockett checks in at #45.

Based on these lists, MU is going to be up against a lot of top talent while having very little of our own.

Thomas from Ohio State is #2 and Ross is #39. Porter from G-town is #5. Wisconsin has two with Dekker at #37 and Evans at #47. Of course Florida, Louisville, Cincy, Temple, and even DePaul has someone on the list before Lockett at #45.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20669899

Hamostradamus
10-25-2012, 08:32 AM
So Dekker is already a better wing than every single wing on MU's roster, even though he has never logged a minute of play in D1 hoop? Check.

QuetteHoops
10-25-2012, 09:07 AM
So Dekker is already a better wing than every single wing on MU's roster, even though he has never logged a minute of play in D1 hoop? Check.

It is a joke.

Goose85
10-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Goodman's comment reminds me of the old question "Who was the last person to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points?" Answer Dean Smith.

37. Sam Dekker, Wisconsin
He’d be higher on the list if we thought he’d get more playing time, but Bo Ryan usually has guys wait their turn. Dekker is a stud who does everything -- shoots it, gets to the basket and also defends. Will be a star; it’s just a matter of when. -- J.G.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Lets not get too wrapped up in these lists, some guys will get injured, some will not live up to expectations, and others will exceed expectations and jump above these guys. We have exceeded expectations for years now, I'm not worried about it, we win a few of these early games and we will be the talk of the town.

Halo
10-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Sounds like Dekker is the real deal. MU will have their hands full with UW this year as they are a very experienced team. Bo Ryan just announced Gasser will be starting PG this year. You have to assume next year also when Bronson Koenig comes in. Then you have George Marshall who they say was performing well vs. Jordan Taylor in practice last year. Will Bronson Koenig be forced to red shirt? Sounds like he has a 40+ vertical, which is much higher than Tucker's was according to a poster from Lacrosse on their message board.

TheSultan
10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
It will be interesting. Gasser is not a natural point guard. I think they were hoping that Marshall would take that next step. But I think MU matches up real well in the 1-3 against UW.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
I think MU matches up favorably against UW this year, it will no doubt be a close game and will be a battle but if we lose to them it certainly will not be due to lesser talent.

TheSultan
10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Let me expand on this a little more. A lot was made last year of the work that Derrick Wilson did on Jordan Taylor defensively - Wilson only played 20 minutes that game. But one thing that was overlooked was how Vander Blue matched up against Mike Bruesewitz, giving up 3-4 inches in the process, and basically shutting him down. This allowed Crowder and Wilson to guard Evans. This also allowed MU to play small...and more athletic...against UW's size. UW tried to match and go small at times, substituting Evans for Brust, but that didn't work much either. (Brust ended up with 9 points, but shot terribly.) This is exactly what Buzz meant in the Milwaukee Magazine article when he said about Wisconsin to "f*ck with them."

If UW starts Gasser, Brust, Evans, Bruesewitz and Berggeren, and MU starts Cadougan, Blue, Lockett, Wilson and Otule, MU is *significantly* quicker at every position but the post. And I would ride Gasser up the floor just like they did with Taylor last year because we can bring Wilson and Mayo off the bench.

EDIT: And this is why I get so pissed at basketball morons who have no clue what Vander allows Buzz to do. He can guard big and he can guard small without giving up too much on the rebounding end because he rebounds so well for his position. He actually outrebounded Bruesewitz that game!

Nukem2
10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Let me expand on this a little more. A lot was made last year of the work that Derrick Wilson did on Jordan Taylor defensively - Wilson only played 20 minutes that game. But one thing that was overlooked was how Vander Blue matched up against Mike Bruesewitz, giving up 3-4 inches in the process, and basically shutting him down. This allowed Crowder and Wilson to guard Evans. This also allowed MU to play small...and more athletic...against UW's size. UW tried to match and go small at times, substituting Evans for Brust, but that didn't work much either. (Brust ended up with 9 points, but shot terribly.) This is exactly what Buzz meant in the Milwaukee Magazine article when he said about Wisconsin to "f*ck with them."

If UW starts Gasser, Brust, Evans, Bruesewitz and Berggeren, and MU starts Cadougan, Blue, Lockett, Wilson and Otule, MU is *significantly* quicker at every position but the post. And I would ride Gasser up the floor just like they did with Taylor last year because we can bring Wilson and Mayo off the bench.

EDIT: And this is why I get so pissed at basketball morons who have no clue what Vander allows Buzz to do. He can guard big and he can guard small without giving up too much on the rebounding end because he rebounds so well for his position. He actually outrebounded Bruesewitz that game!Yep, there are too many out there who do not appreciate what Vander brings to the table. Sure, we wish he could shoot better; but, he is an outstanding player in other aspects of the game.

Goose85
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Vander is an athletic freak who has brought defensive intensity since his first year, and that is rare.

Gasser at point will be trouble for UW against pressure. He is a good college off guard, but not sure he is quick enough and has a good enough handle to be a point in a major conference like the Big 10 (Burke #3 at Mich, Craft #4 at Ohio State, #16 Fraizier at Penn State, #28 Appling at Mich State, #33 Ferrell at Indiana). I thought Marshall would be the guy and Brust would come off the bench.

I think they will again live by the 3 pointer, with Dekker and Evans providing the only real drive and shoot or take it to the hoop options on the team.

I know these lists are just for fun and for early season rankings, but it does show MU will be going up against some high level talent.
With our the defensive ability and overall depth on our team - look out, I think we will be a tough.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Brusewitz is 6'6" per UW's website, despite playing the 4. Vander gives up a little size, but I'm not sure how he's handle a 6'8" guy with similar skills. Still, he is our best one-on-one defender since JFB.

TheSultan
10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
LOL...OK OK....

I thought Vander was more 6'2" or 6'3"...which is where I got 3-4 inches. I was on a roll though!!!