PDA

View Full Version : Online and Distance Learning classes for student athletes?

TulsaWarrior
10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I was amazed when I heard the Marquette administration will not accept credits from athletes who take classes from accredited schools. Doesn't Marquette offer online classes? I worked 12 years for a public college that pioneered in the distance learning field. My wife got her master's degree that way and teaches on the grad level online for Boston University. Recently we moved to Eugene. Because of my son's health issues we will be home schooling him and Oregon has a robust public home school system that uses Blackboard, Wimba and Skype extensively. (Online and video conferencing tools -- look this stuff up on the Internet it's an education revolution) Yes testing is proctored and extensive tools are available to prevent plagiarism.

Is it true that the Marquette administration is that far behind the times?

TheSultan
10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Yes, Marquette offers online classes, though I am unsure if they offer complete programs online. Also, Marquette most certainly does accept online and correspondence transfer courses for credit. This is why I am puzzled to what has been stated about what is eligible to be transferred from JUCOs.

Perhaps they don't allow *current* MU students to take correspondence courses from other schools while they are enrolled?

TulsaWarrior
10-22-2012, 02:30 PM
I sure wish that concern would be addressed publically. If it is an accredited institution I see no issue in this day and age. The school I worked for had 25,000 plus enrollments and almost a third were online or Distance Learning. Students from private colleges, Oklahoma State, OU, Tulsa and a lot of the other big 12 school would take Gen Ed classes online from my school. Transfer credit was not an issue. Of course the school was progressive with articulation agreements.

It seems like it would ony be fair to allow a student athlete this option. I know TCU and SMU allow this option.