PDA

View Full Version : MU in Big 10..? ( Hunt )

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
More Michael Hunt. Valid points, but...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/174791071.html

kneelb4zerg
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM
He's just trolling Badger fans with this post

IWB
10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Does he not realize that MU's 'other sports' do not have to go to California?

Halo
10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Sounds like Larry was out there at the meetings with Buzz? IWB-can you confirm that? Nothing would shock me anymore.

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Sounds like Larry was out there at the meetings with Buzz? IWB-can you confirm that? Nothing would shock me anymore.He was there from one of Hunt's other blogs and today's print article.

BLT
10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
This is the second time MU has brought this up in the press recently. Why would this be talked about at the BE Media Day to start with? Secondarily, why would it be talked about in public during BE media negotiations? Thirdly, if MU leaves, how will all their millions in BE NCAA run money to come, exit fees of now $10mm, be replaced? Someone is in way over their heads. Their dunderheads. Is there anything positive to talk about in MU Athletics in public? We can gripe about the posters here complaining too much about LW, but there is plenty of fodder. LW has not had one positive press exposure yet. Get a pr agent in place ASAP!

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 12:14 PM
This is the second time MU has brought this up in the press recently. Why would this be talked about at the BE Media Day to start with? Secondarliy, why would it be talked about in public during BE media negotiations? Thirdly, if MU leaves, how will all their millions in BE NCAA run money to come, exit fees of now $10mm, be replaced? Someone is in way over their heads. Their dunderheads. Is there anything positive to talk about in MU Athletics in public? We can gripe about the posters here complaining too much about LW, but there is plenty of fodder. LW has not had one positive press exposure yet. Get a pr agent in place ASAP!Michael Hunt is really the one talking. His "source" was theorizing. This is all talk.

BLT
10-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Michael Hunt is really the one talking. His "source" was theorizing. This is all talk.

From the article...it is not just Mike Hunt "theorizing" in public.

Marquette athletic director Larry Williams said "theoretically" it is a possibility, but insiders believe the Big Ten might be the final conference to take on adjunct members like Marquette that have no intention of playing Division I football.

Meanwhile, Marquette is weighing its options on leaving the Big East if this westward expansions with smaller schools makes traveling problematic for its Olympic sports. Bus rides to California don't make a lot of sense. And if other high-profile schools like Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame and West Virginia continue to bail, the TV contract that is coming up for renewal soon wouldn't make it worth Marquette's time to be a member of the Big East.

Halo
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Get a grip BLT. No matter what, it's LW's fault I am beginning to see.

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 02:39 PM
From the article...it is not just Mike Hunt "theorizing" in public.LW was responding to Hunt's theoretical question....

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 02:44 PM
The big 4 conferences could well add some of the better basket-ball only schools as adjunct members for Olympic sports while breaking away from the NCAA and have their own BB tourney an eliminate 225 or so lower level schools from the tourney, thus keeping all the BB money and not sharing the FB money. Very plausible as $$ speak volumes.

Markedman
10-18-2012, 02:48 PM
How boring would a national championship basketball tournament be without the small school/cinderella stories?

I mean do people really want to see a first round matchup between Nebraska and Kentucky or Boston College and Ohio State?

BLT
10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Listen, I am glad that LW is thinking and working behind the scenes to protect MU's conference standing and options. I actually think he is most qualified in this regard with his pro career and legal background. What I am objecting to is that he should not be answering or theorizing these options in a public forum at a very sensitve time. That fact that he even addressing a theoretical to a reporter shows again that he is in over his head in the public eye. In terms of getting a grip, yes, I am upset as he is jeopardizing $ millions with this loose talk on something that should remain confidential. He is weakening Marquette's and the BE's financial position. There is nothing positive to gain by publically addressing it at this time.

With this, I am out as both sides have aired all there is to air...and we are at the point of beating a dead horse on either side of the argument.

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
How boring would a national championship basketball tournament be without the small school/cinderella stories?

I mean do people really want to see a first round matchup between Nebraska and Kentucky or Boston College and Ohio State?Don't disagree at all. Just saying that $$ do talk loudly....

CaribouJim
10-18-2012, 04:11 PM

I mean do people really want to see a first round matchup between Nebraska and Kentucky or Boston College and Ohio State?

Agreed and that doesn't mean those small schools got in as charity cases either - there are a lot of good programs and are doing it with a lot, lot less resources than the BCS conference affiliated teams.

JDubMU
10-18-2012, 04:41 PM
I would love to be in the Big Ten and play Crean twice a year. Make it happen!