PDA

View Full Version : Paint Touches on Jamil

Tmreddevil
10-18-2012, 09:38 AM
http://painttouches.com/2012/10/18/jamil-wilson-is-not-jae-or-jimmy-and-thats-just-fine/

Great work by them this month!

I think I have hit my 15 article limit with paint touches this month. Do I have to start paying now? :D

Mark Miller
10-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Paint Touches does Marquette no favors on the recruiting trail via Twitter.

In fact, one could argue Paint Touches does just the opposite.

Bocephys
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
How's that?

Mark Miller
10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Check out their posts. They speak for themselves.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Their comments as to why Embiid shouldn't attend Marquette can't be seen as anything but a negative. If you don't want to tweet recruits, fine. But don't actively encourage them to go elsewhere.

Mark Miller
10-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Their comments as to why Embiid shouldn't attend Marquette can't be seen as anything but a negative. If you don't want to tweet recruits, fine. But don't actively encourage them to go elsewhere.

Amen. Paint Touches does a fine job covering the team. They have outstanding articles and solid information. But in the area of tweeting about recruits/potential recruits, they might want to think a bit before they tweet.

IWB
10-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Especially when those recruits read every single tweet from everywhere that mentions their name.

The biggest problem is that these kids and their families don't see the separation. People on these boards have always said, "Oh, if any recruit takes comments from a message board into account in his decision....." They all do.

In the past I have published recruiting lists and had parents of recruits call me directly and tell me off. I had to explain to them that I am not affiliated with the school and that I didn't know the program was recruiting their kid. When a kid like Embiid who is addicted to Twitter sees a tweet like that, and the twitter logo is an MU logo and the tagline touts themselves as a "Marquette Basketball Blog", people do not separate the program and the blog. So, to a kid like Embiid, he reads, "Marquette doesn't think they are good enough, and thinks I should go to Kansas or Texas". I know that sounds extreme, but that is how it is.

kneelb4zerg
10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Has anyone told them this? I have a hard time believing they are trying to hurt Marquette on purpose.

Bocephys
10-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Agree, that was an odd comment for them to make. I think the problem is there is no separation from the official Paint Touches twitter account and Mark Strotman it appears.

QuetteHoops
10-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Has anyone told them this? I have a hard time believing they are trying to hurt Marquette on purpose.

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/259022874478772224

Seems like they found out...

IWB
10-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't think anyone ever said they should sacrifice their objectivity, but to agree with Bocephys' point, when so many people, including recruits and their families, follow a school newspaper's blog - they should have their personal twitter opinions on their own accounts and not on the MU Tribune blog's Twitter.

TheSultan
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
It really isn't "objectivity" when they state their opinion based on nothing but the other schools involved. That is by definition subjective.

Mucrisco
10-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I won't read anything from Mark Strotman after he so blatantly blasted women's hoops. After reading his attack on IWB, that only solidified it.

Marquette
10-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Let me get this straight..... cheerleading for the program you cover is bad, but intentionally harming their recruiting efforts is good? I guess I must have had it all wrong.

IWB
10-19-2012, 08:59 AM
I will say one final thing on the subject based on another new 'tweet' - In my opinion, Tweeting to a kid that you think he should go to Texas or Kansas instead of Marquette isn't a "writing style".

Hamostradamus
10-19-2012, 09:19 AM
It's the MU equivalent of Badgermaniac: We can say anything we want and it can't hurt the program, since any recruit affected is someone we didn't want in the first place. Oh, and "sacrificing objectivity?" Guys, you ain't the New York Times.

kneelb4zerg
10-19-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't think paint touches realizes (or realized) that they are harming the program or that they are intentionally trying to harm the program in any way. But if they want a platform that is associated with Marquette basketball, they should use it responsibly and realize that their words have more impact than a twitter account strictly associated with being a fan. Now that they are on notice, I have less sympathy if it continues going forward.

Phantom Warrior
10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I've expressed admiration and respect for Strotman's articles on quite a few occasions in the past. But if I ever run into him in person - as I did a few times at the pro-am - I will call him out - in public - and I don't care who hears it.

He thinks recruits should go to Kansas or Texas instead of MU? And he tweets that using an MU logo? That is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I run into him at a game or two this year - in the concourse - wherever. I want everyone anywhere near him to know what he's been doing. What a frickin' douchebag.

Marquette
10-19-2012, 09:33 AM
He thinks recruits should go to Kansas or Texas instead of MU? And he tweets that using an MU logo?

The logo isn't the worst part Fantom. He directs it to a national recruiting guru so all 5,000 of his followers see it. And the worst part is that he named the recruit's twitter handle so the comment goes directly to the recruit. Kansas and Florida fans tweet to that recruit all the time saying why he should go to those schools and here is a Marquette blog telling the kid that the Kansas and Florida fans are right.

TheSultan
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
He thinks recruits should go to Kansas or Texas instead of MU? And he tweets that using an MU logo? That is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, unless I am missing something, that is not what he said. I believe this is the tweet in question...

"Still can't see how #mubb pulls this one off w/ other teams involved RT @jerrymeyer247 Some Joel Embiid information"

Note that he did not tag Embiid in this tweet either.

MU_Iceman
10-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Has MU done ANYTHING to try to shut them down?? or at least reprimand them. Cripes, they seem to watch every little thing IWB does, and gets on him immediately, but do they pay attention to this trash? If not, why the hell not? It's harmful to the program!

Nukem2
10-19-2012, 09:40 AM
What did Strotman actually tweet thats triggering all this? Going thru his tweets, all I see on Embiid are retweets of others.

Hamostradamus
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Well, unless I am missing something, that is not what he said. I believe this is the tweet in question...
"Still can't see how #mubb pulls this one off w/ other teams involved RT @jerrymeyer247 Some Joel Embiid information"
Note that he did not tag Embiid in this tweet either.

Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches
@tmpecus perhaps, but if I'm guiding a 7-footer I'm sending him to Texas or Kansas. People will look out for him wherever he goes.

Goose85
10-19-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm sure the MU administration is well aware of it and are taking note for future reference. If guys on this board are upset by it, you can imagine Buzz and his staff, who are working their backsides off trying to get this kid, and the MU athletic dept administration are furious.

lougrant
10-19-2012, 09:44 AM
What'd this knob say about IWB?

MU_Iceman
10-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm sure the MU administration is well aware of it and are taking note for future reference. If guys on this board are upset by it, you can imagine Buzz and his staff, who are working their backsides off trying to get this kid, and the MU athletic dept administration are furious.

Larry might not care...he might not fit the idea he has of a MU BB "student athlete". :confused:

TheSultan
10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches
@tmpecus perhaps, but if I'm guiding a 7-footer I'm sending him to Texas or Kansas. People will look out for him wherever he goes.

Ah...I missed that one. Thanks.

TheSultan
10-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Has MU done ANYTHING to try to shut them down?? or at least reprimand them. Cripes, they seem to watch every little thing IWB does, and gets on him immediately, but do they pay attention to this trash? If not, why the hell not? It's harmful to the program!

MU isn't really going to shut them down or reprimand them over this - student press is entitled to its opinion. However, as Goose mentioned, I'm sure they are aware and figuring out what that could mean down the line.

Marquette
10-19-2012, 09:58 AM
They're not students anymore.

TheSultan
10-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Of course. And Marquette is entitled to respond how they wish. And my understanding is the circumstances weren't really all that similar right? Paint Touches was tweeting an opinion, clearly not "objective" like they say, but simply an opinion. And didn't they contact IWB over some insider information that they didn't want to get out?

TheSultan
10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
They're not students anymore.

Well, then how are they supposed to be reprimanded? By cutting off access?

Look, IMO the tweet was dumb. Despite what he said, they aren't being objective, but MU doesn't have many good options here. Cutting off access to a group that largely says good things and provides good insight on the basketball program over this may not be a good long-term strategy.

Hamostradamus
10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
This isn't like denying Bob Woodward access to the West Wing. It's about sending a message to some undergrad Journalism students that they are, after all, undergrad Journalism students. The community won't suffer if Paint Touches loses access.

TheSultan
10-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Oh I agree. And as was pointed out, they are no longer students and are operating their own site. But Marquette I am sure is aware of their options and are best able to determine when it crosses the line.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-20-2012, 11:03 AM
If anyone personally wants to do something about it it's really easy, unfollow them on twitter and stop visiting their site and reading their articles. If that happens they will suddenly become irrelevant and their opinions will go away. I really enjoyed their articles and tweets up until this point, but these last few and their responses to this thread have made me a bit annoyed so I will stop reading their stuff and that solves that. I did my part.

Phantom Warrior
10-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Agreed. I liked Strotman's articles, but I can easily do without them. No way can I support anyone who basically tells Buzz's priority recruits to not come to MU. and on top of that he has the arrogance to defend himself by saying that his comments are "objective." What a tool!

Nukem2
10-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Agreed. I liked Strotman's articles, but I can easily do without them. No way can I support anyone who basically tells Buzz's priority recruits to not come to MU. and on top of that he has the arrogance to defend himself by saying that his comments are "objective." What a tool!He is a recent MU journalism grad who views himself now as a professional journalist with the PT blog site. So, I guess Michael Hunt should be making similar "objective" judgments........

Phantom Warrior
10-20-2012, 03:17 PM
It seems to me the journalism curriculum needs to include a course on ethics and integrity. Stating an opinion, which is by definition subjective, is not "objective," and to pretend that it is "objective" is either an exercise in self-deception or just blatant deception, period. Mr. Strotman needs to grow up if he wants to be a journalist in the real world, unless he aspires to write for the Enquirer.