PDA

View Full Version : BEast preview mentions Buzz and Larry not getting along

tower912
10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20581757/big-east-isnt-the-same-after-losses-impending-departures

It has been discussed ad nauseum on other boards. It isn't really news to fans who follow MU closely, but it still is not good to see it on a national website.

ydouask23
10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Larry Williams literally has no idea what he is about to mess up. This is officially our season on the brink. Enjoy one more season guys, because after this the uncertainty begins and EVERYTHING is on the table.

MUUWUWM
10-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Don't worry about things you have no control over. Enjoy the season.

ydouask23
10-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Hard not to worry about. MU hoops is very important to all of us. Really hope the rumors arent true. Its almost as if you want Buzz to come out and say something like a coach does when there are rumors another school is courting him. Obviously Buzz won't and doesn't have to, especially if he is upset, but where there is smoke there is fire.

TulsaWarrior
10-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Larry Williams needs to step up to end this kind of bad PR. I'm sure he hasn't intended for his comments to reporters and Marquette Community members to appear as unprofessional or counter productive. He needs to call Buzz and the reporter. This kind of mention in the national medium is unfortunate at best and needs to be answered in a positve fashion as soon as it has been posted. Look it up -- it is in Chapter 3 of Public Relations 101, an entry level PR class.

warriorfan4life
10-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Hard not to worry about. MU hoops is very important to all of us. Really hope the rumors arent true. Its almost as if you want Buzz to come out and say something like a coach does when there are rumors another school is courting him. Obviously Buzz won't and doesn't have to, especially if he is upset, but where there is smoke there is fire.

I think Buzz's strategy is the opposite, to put the word out in public so that pressure is ramped up in private. I think Buzz wants to coach a long time at Marquette, so long as it is the Marquette he started with (or close to it) and not the Larry Williams/Pilarz Marquette.

IWB
10-17-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't know that he has a "strategy". He is coaching his team - people in basketball circles all talk, so just because Goodman said what he did, doesn't mean Buzz is 'putting the word out there' - far from it IMO.

kneelb4zerg
10-17-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't know that he has a "strategy". He is coaching his team - people in basketball circles all talk, so just because Goodman said what he did, doesn't mean Buzz is 'putting the word out there' - far from it IMO.

Buzz is perfectly capable of coaching his team and 'putting the word out' at the same time. You don't get to his position in life by being an innocent country bumpkin.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
10-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Buzz is perfectly capable of coaching his team and 'putting the word out' at the same time. You don't get to his position in life by being an innocent country bumpkin.

Have to agree with Kneel on that one.

Question: To what extent is it the responsibility of pilarz to make sure these two get along? I realize larry and buzz are grown men and one would think the full responsibility should lay with them. However this is the leader of the top revenue producing division of the university not getting along with his boss and we all know there are parallels between the success of the bball team and the success of the instituion and therefore shouldn't Pilarz be held somewhat responsible for making sure the two are able to coexist?

TheSultan
10-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Goodman stating this in an article hardly needs to be the result of "putting the word out." It frankly is pretty obvious to most people who follow college basketball on a national level. And Tulsa, what exactly do you want LW to say? You want him to have a summit with the press, put his arm around Buzz, and say "Hey...we *LOVE* each other!!!"

Hamostradamus
10-18-2012, 09:30 AM
There are a lot of things Larry should be doing. But here is the thing: he doesn't know what they are. He rarely gives interviews and steps in it when he does. He is, to anyone watching his tenure unfold, completely in over his head.

IWB
10-18-2012, 10:31 AM
The one thing Larry could and should be doing is reeling in the major boosters and make a huge statement by signing Buzz to a large, long term extension.

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
The one thing Larry could and should be doing is reeling in the major boosters and make a huge statement by signing Buzz to a large, long term extension.That certainly would make a Strong statement......

ydouask23
10-18-2012, 01:25 PM
The one thing Larry could and should be doing is reeling in the major boosters and make a huge statement by signing Buzz to a large, long term extension.

See, I kind of disagree with that. Coaches sign long loaded contracts all the time, but it means nothing. Crean had like 8 years left on his contract when he bolted for Indiana.

What would mean more to me is if LW starting treating Buzz like the valuable commodity that he is. Buzz Williams is gold for this program, this university, and this city.

The day Buzz gives another quote about how happy he is and how he will be here, "as long as they'll have me." is the day you know LW did something to make Buzz feel better about the future.

Don't hold your breath, but hope for the best.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-18-2012, 01:31 PM
See, I kind of disagree with that. Coaches sign long loaded contracts all the time, but it means nothing. Crean had like 8 years left on his contract when he bolted for Indiana.

Well...yes and no. The thing is, I believe Buzz signed a new contract extension every year since he was hired until this past offseason. Cottingham realized the commodity we had and continued to up the ante in order to keep him. If I missed an extension since March of this year, someone please correct me, but I am fairly certain this is the first offseason where Buzz didn't sign a contract extension.

With that in mind, if LW offered Buzz (another) large, long-term extension, it would indicate LW is treating Buzz like the valuable commodity that he is. In effect, Larry would be indicating that he his tying his own success to Buzz's success. By refusing to renegotiate after back-to-back Sweet 16 seasons and going against what we have done every other year it seems like a subtle no-confidence vote.

Markedman
10-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Buzz has got a long term roll over contract IIRC so his contract is automatically extended every year.

Bocephys
10-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Buzz has got a long term roll over contract IIRC so his contract is automatically extended every year.

Correct, though this is the first year that wasn't renegotiated to include a nice pay raise I believe.

MUfan12
10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
This is timely... http://www.marquette.edu/magazine/recent.php?subaction=showfull&id=1349369276&archive=&start_from=&ucat=7&

A few things...

-Odd for him to address the "de-emphasizing basketball" topic.
-Doing things the "right way." So before it was wrong?
-Major editing mistake re: the alleged assaults.
-Anyone think Broeker actually said that?

Gato78
10-18-2012, 06:05 PM
I am sure Broeker said that. He believes in Larry and I trust Broeker's judgment. He has kept me off the anti-Larry train. There are some things about Larry that are, shall we say, puzzling. I think he does not understand his role vis-a-vis the alums and boosters. I do not understand his difficulties with Buzz. I am sure it is not a one way street but I can understand why Buzz may be less than happy. Larry has deserved some of the shots he has taken. Broeker has a good head on his shoulders so his belief in Larry gives me pause in criticizing Larry, though I think Larry needs to figure this out fast.

This is timely... http://www.marquette.edu/magazine/recent.php?subaction=showfull&id=1349369276&archive=&start_from=&ucat=7&

A few things...

-Odd for him to address the "de-emphasizing basketball" topic.
-Doing things the "right way." So before it was wrong?
-Major editing mistake re: the alleged assaults.
-Anyone think Broeker actually said that?

ydouask23
10-18-2012, 06:44 PM
I gotta tell ya Gato, they should have just hired Broeker and kept it in the family. He's a smart dude and very well connected in the sporting world and MU could have done a lot worse than a guy who has been loyal to the University for years.

Gato78
10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
ydouask23: that is what I thought should have happened. Broeker is ready and exercises damn good judgment. He and Buzz may well be at odds if he was in charge right now but I think Broeker would finesse the deal a lot better than what is happening right now.

Nukem2
10-18-2012, 07:16 PM
ydouask23: that is what I thought should have happened. Broeker is ready and exercises damn good judgment. He and Buzz may well be at odds if he was in charge right now but I think Broker would finesse the deal a lot better than what is happening right now.
Also agree. But, it was a case of appearances. Just was not going to happen.

warriorfan4life
10-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Also agree. But, it was a case of appearances. Just was not going to happen.

Unfortunately, you are correct and no from the inside was going to be considered. However, if things settle down, I could see Broke assuming the AD role down the line (and if LW settles in, he may move over more to the academic similar to the proposed Cottingham-Broeker plan).

MUfan12
10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
I am sure Broeker said that. He believes in Larry and I trust Broeker's judgment. He has kept me off the anti-Larry train. There are some things about Larry that are, shall we say, puzzling. I think he does not understand his role vis-a-vis the alums and boosters. I do not understand his difficulties with Buzz. I am sure it is not a one way street but I can understand why Buzz may be less than happy. Larry has deserved some of the shots he has taken. Broeker has a good head on his shoulders so his belief in Larry gives me pause in criticizing Larry, though I think Larry needs to figure this out fast.

Fair enough. Appreciate the insight.

TedBaxter
10-19-2012, 06:00 AM
It's time for Marquette fans to call off the dogs publicly and if they want to express themselves, email the people who you feel are at odds. I don't think this bitterness is making anything better for either side. Marquette is involved in recruiting and recruits may not be real comfortable with what is being said on these boards either and I don't think people are thinking about that when they are posting nor are they thinking about the current players and coaches who have enough on their plate with getting ready for the season and with going to school. You may be hurting every one involved more than helping, so let things be handled being the scenes.