PDA

View Full Version : Big East News and notes....

IWB
10-17-2012, 09:17 AM
The Big East and Madison Square Garden have officially agreed on a 10 year contract extension.

Peyton Siva Chosen as pre-season player of the year, no MU players make any pre-season list......

2012-13 BIG EAST Preseason Player of the Year - Peyton Siva, Louisville

2012-13 BIG EAST Preseason Rookie of the Year - Steven Adams, Pittsburgh

2012-13 Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team
Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati, G, Jr., 6-4, 221, White Plains, N.Y.
Otto Porter, Georgetown, F, So., 6-8, 205, Sikeston, Mo.
Gorgui Dieng, Louisville, C, Jr., 6-10, 225, Dakar, Senegal
Jack Cooley, Notre Dame, F, Sr., 6-9, 244, Glenview, Ill.
Vincent Council, Providence, G, Sr., 6-2, 180, Brooklyn, N.Y.

2012-13 Preseason All-BIG EAST Second Team
Shabazz Napier, Connecticut, G, Jr., 6-1, 171, Roxbury, Mass.
Cleveland Melvin, DePaul, F, Jr., 6-8, 208, Baltimore, Md.
D’Angelo Harrison, St. John’s, G, So., 6-3, 202, Missouri City, Texas
Anthony Collins, USF, So., G, 6-1, 175, Houston, Texas
Brandon Triche, Syracuse, G, Sr., 6-4, 205, Jamesville, N.Y.

2012-13 Preseason BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Chane Behanan, Louisville, F, So., 6-7, 250, Cincinnati, Ohio
Jerian Grant, Notre Dame, G, Jr., 6-5, 185, Bowie, Md.
Tray Woodall, Pittsburgh, G, Sr., 5-11, 190, Brooklyn, N.Y.
C.J. Fair, Syracuse, F, Jr., 6-8, 212, Baltimore, Md.

TheSultan
10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Boy, when I saw Peyton Siva as the pre-season player of the year, I thought "what???" I mean, I love the guy's game, but he is so terribly inconsistent. Then in looking at the first and second teams, I can see why. Lots of solid players but not many that stand out as a real top level guy.

MU_Iceman
10-17-2012, 09:53 AM
If Siva is the BE's player of the year, then perhaps it's time for the BE to accept the fact they are NOT the league's premier conference in BB anymore. Peyton Siva?? Really??

CaribouJim
10-17-2012, 10:02 AM
I would have Jerian Grant on the second team and lower his teammate Jack Cooley to 2nd or possible Honorable Mention and I predict that Jamil Wilson will garner at minimum post season Big East Honorable mention.

Goose85
10-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Was Jae Crowder on any list last season?

MU_Iceman
10-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I would have Jerian Grant on the second team and lower his teammate Jack Cooley to 2nd or possible Honorable Mention and I predict that Jamil Wilson will garner at minimum post season Big East Honorable mention.

So will Vander.

IWB
10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
The guy might not be the best player in the nation, but he was a stud in the Big East Tournament last year pulling down the MVP. He led his team to the Final Four last year and his two game in Phoenix against Michigan State and Florida were some of the most impressive outings I had seen last year.

kneelb4zerg
10-17-2012, 10:23 AM
If Siva is the BE's player of the year, then perhaps it's time for the BE to accept the fact they are NOT the league's premier conference in BB anymore. Peyton Siva?? Really??

OK, but the only defection so far is West Virginia. Syracuse, Pitt and ND are still here, aren't they?

TheSultan
10-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Agreed Jim...although it still annoys me how we tried to guard him in that game. Siva is also apparently a real good student as well. Completely deserving...it just surprised me.

TedBaxter
10-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I like it that nobody from MU is on it. Keeps the underdog thing going.

BLT
10-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I am higher on this year's MU team than last year's because of depth and experience. However, there are no stars--yet. I do think they will evolve. Being at the ProAm a few times, Blue and Jamil have NBA ability...the question is, can they develop to dominate? Vander is bulked and keyed up to prove he is...but is his shot all the way there yet? When he was on against Mississippi, he was absolute confident stud--so it is there. Jamil needs to be assertive and take over games...to realize he is the go-to guy. Junior will have a break-out year. The other NBA body is Steve Taylor. His shot is inconsistent and often flat--often times his guide hand moves either up or down resulting in either a flat moon shot or a misguided errant jumper. If he gets his mechanics right, he could be All Rookie team. In the end, Gardner has the best chance to dominate and earn a place on one of these teams. Not sure he is stoppable.

IWB
10-17-2012, 12:09 PM
A few comments in this thread....

Goo85 - No, Crowder was not on any lists last year.

Iceman - KneelB4zerg is right, Syracuse, Pitt and ND have not left yet, so why would it be any different from last year (sans WVU who finished 8th last year)?

Ted - Yes, I too like it that there are no MU players - these guys are hungry and thrive on playing the underdog role!

GOMU1104
10-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Everyone is full of s***

http://zagsblog.com/articles/boeheim-says-pitino-is-full-of-st/

mufan2003
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
We should not be surprised that we are not overly impressed with the Big East's Preseason Player of the Year. Marquette is at a point now, coming off two Sweet 16's, that we are very happy with the talent on our team and feel the talent gap between us and any other team is not much (assuming we stay healthy).

Quite frankly, it is convenient for outsiders looking in to attribute all of Marquette's success last year to only Crowder and DJO. While true, other guys have improved in the offseason and we get Otule back. Then you add Trent Lockett and Steve Taylor (even Jake Thomas). A lot of factors can affect a season. Assuming we stay healthy and do not lose any major contributors, I think we will finish no worse than 5th in Conference. Playing Louisville once, if we can steal that game somehow, someway, who knows? I also love playing Syracuse (#2 preseason) and Notre Dame (#3 preseason) at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.........because @Syracuse and @Notre Dame are 2 of the toughest places to get a win on the road in all of college basketball.

ydouask23
10-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Big East has had a history of producing Players of the Year who didnt amount to much by means of the NBA. Especially recently with Harangody, Abromitus, and now Crowder...we arent talking NBA superstars here...just gritty, and really talented college basketball players. Siva is no different.