PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the Year

Goose85
02-21-2012, 11:41 AM
With the job Buzz has done with this team, down Otule and for a stretch now Gardner, and ranked in the top 10 I would have to think that Buzz should get serious consideration for national coach of the year.

I'm sure it will go to someone like Calipari or Boheim who are having a great year with a ton of talent. Hopefully Buzz gets on the list.

IWB
02-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Agree - Saw one write up talking about the job Boeheim has done. Really? Let's compare rosters using RSCI regardless of class....

Syracuse (1 Top 15) (3 Top 25)(6 Top 50)(7 Top 75)(9 Top 100)
#14 Melo
#21 Christmas
#25 Carter-Williams
#31 Waiters
#46 Jones
#48 Jardine
#56 Joseph
#79 Cooney
#96 Fair

Marquette (2 Top 50)(3 Top 75)(4 Top 100)
#47 Cadougan
#48 Blue
#75 Jones
#81 Anderson

Yep - Boeheim sure has done more with less! :confused:

Mark Miller
02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I've grown to really dislike Dick Vitale.

He has his favorites -- Boeheim and Pitino, in particular -- and basically just says the same damn thing over and over and over.

Doris Burke's insight into college basketball, IMO, is far superior to Vitale.

mufansince72
02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
I have not liked Vitale since he hooked up with Jimmy V back in the day. Jimmy V was a big cheater. The V foundation is a great thing, don't get me wrong! It's just that I associate Vitale with Valvano.

Goose85
02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Vitale really helped put ESPN and its broadcasting of college basketball on the map. A great promoter of the college game and he really aided in presenting the college game as great experience. Not sure if it is just me, but long ago I thought he also talked more the X and O's of the game during broadcasts.

Unfortunately, now he is just seen as a Duke / UNC appologist and no longer does broadcasts like he did before. Too bad as there was a time I really enjoyed games he was working. He needs to tone it down a bit, but not lose his passion. He is an example of being over used and people have gotten tired of him.

IWB
02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
You see it happen all over the place. John Madden used to be a great announcer. He could really break down a game. But then it became a "use the chalkboard" talk Turduckin" etc etc.. General fans like that, serious fans do not.

I will never forget the year he drew a circle around a spot on the Packers' bench, and asked what the bench feels like after Gilbert Brown was sitting on it. He spent a few minutes on the topic. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What happened to the guy that used to tell you exactly what happened and why, that he is now talking about how a bench feels when a fat guy sits on it?

It happens more and more. People in the truck and behind the booth deciding what should be said based on how things are trending with a certain age group and demographic.

MayorBeluga
02-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Was discussing this with Pliny the Elder following the UConn game. Brey gets all the Big East love. True he lost Abromitis, but he slows his team down to an ugly Wisconsin crawl. Buzz loses two big men and wins by pushing the ball. Buzz's results are more impressive.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Couldn't agree more, right now one of my favorites is Jay Bilas... Speaking of which, do we know who we will be getting tonight in Morgantown? I would assume some form of a B team as the A team will be preparing for College Game Day some where?

TedBaxter
02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Vitale has a chocolate milk ring around his mouth all the time, but it didn't come from chocolate milk.

MU Viking
02-24-2012, 11:20 PM
I know the popular wisdom is to give BE COY to Brey, and I wouldn't be too upset if he got it, but I really think Buzz deserves it. Yes, Brey lost Abro early on and had to adjust, but Buzz had to adjust to losing Otule... and then Gardner. 13-3 with 2 to play. Amazing stuff.

MayorBeluga
02-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Got 2 great texts from Pliny the Elder following the game reading "let me be the 1st to congratulate Mike Brey for the win" and "he won with Abromitis hurt". Pretty much sums up the Brey love and lack of recognition for the job done by Buzz this year.