PDA

View Full Version : ACC and Big East

Goose85
10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
All has been quiet on the Big East TV negotiations front it seems.

Not sure if this will play into it at all, but it sure should bolster the Big East when trying to get an 'ACC-like' deal.

BCS football standings are out for the first time. Here is Big East v ACC.

14. Florida State (ACC)
15. Rutgers (Big East)
16. Louisville (Big East)
19. Clemson (ACC)
21. Cincinnati (Big East)
22. Boise State (future Big East)

That's 4-2 in favor of the new Big East for those keeping track. BCS Top 25 Breakdown

SEC = 7 (6 in top 12)
Big 12 = 7
Big East = 4
Pac 12 = 4
ACC = 2
Notre Dame

Big 10 = 0 (Ohio State is not elligible due to NCAA sanctions)

IWB
10-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Can you send that to Barry Alvarez? He seems to think the "Big 4" should be on their own.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journal-Standard
Big Ten Notes: Wisconsin AD Alvarez advocates 'super league'
John Supinie
Posted: 10/10/2012 9:45 AM

CHAMPAIGN — Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez remained active in college football despite retiring as Badgers coach in 2005.

Alvarez, the only former head football coach present during meetings of conference commissioners who reworked the BCS earlier this year, agreed that a four-team playoff was the best way to determine a national champion. But he’d still like the power conferences to take control.

“I’d like to see a super league,’’ Alvarez told the Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register. “I’d like to see a league — Southeastern Conference, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 — and have your own rules. Have rules that you know what the hell they are and that you could actually follow them, and let them have it. We’ve got a lot of rules. There’re a lot of haves and have-nots, and you’re making rules to make the have-nots happy.

“Let the guys who can afford it go do — the guys that are filling those big stadiums, the leagues that have the big TV contracts — let them go. That’s nothing against those other guys. But you can’t let that group hold the entire group back.’’

Even Alvarez asked, will that ever happen?

“I don’t know,’’ he said. “I doubt it, but maybe.’’
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny thing is that those quotes are followed by the "Big 10 Police Blotter". (http://m.journalstandard.com/freeport/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=L6OsBSO9&full=true#display)

TheSultan
10-15-2012, 08:54 AM
That's nice, but that's not the most important driver in television negotiations. Especially since it is just a one year snap shot.

CaribouJim
10-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Can you send that to Barry Alvarez? He seems to think the "Big 4" should be on their own.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Journal-Standard
Big Ten Notes: Wisconsin AD Alvarez advocates 'super league'
John Supinie
Posted: 10/10/2012 9:45 AM

CHAMPAIGN — Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez remained active in college football despite retiring as Badgers coach in 2005.

Alvarez, the only former head football coach present during meetings of conference commissioners who reworked the BCS earlier this year, agreed that a four-team playoff was the best way to determine a national champion. But he’d still like the power conferences to take control.

“I’d like to see a super league,’’ Alvarez told the Mobile (Ala.) Press-Register. “I’d like to see a league — Southeastern Conference, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 — and have your own rules. Have rules that you know what the hell they are and that you could actually follow them, and let them have it. We’ve got a lot of rules. There’re a lot of haves and have-nots, and you’re making rules to make the have-nots happy.

“Let the guys who can afford it go do — the guys that are filling those big stadiums, the leagues that have the big TV contracts — let them go. That’s nothing against those other guys. But you can’t let that group hold the entire group back.’’

Even Alvarez asked, will that ever happen?

“I don’t know,’’ he said. “I doubt it, but maybe.’’
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny thing is that those quotes are followed by the "Big 10 Police Blotter". (http://m.journalstandard.com/freeport/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=L6OsBSO9&full=true#display)

This is disgusting - hasn't he been a fairly reasonable guy over the years? Was he drunk? Aren't most of these guys doing things like they already "have your own rules" anyway? Has he followed up with the typical "I was taken out of context" yet? So he wants this power conference to break away from the NCAA for football, but would result in basketball and all other sports breaking away as well? So the single most successful thing the NCAA does, the men's tourney would basically vaporize as I'm sure they would have their own country club tourney - ascots included.

What a tool.

Goose85
10-15-2012, 09:52 AM
The program prior to Barry taking over would not have qualified as a have.

How are the other programs (ACC, Big East, Mountain West, CUSA, MAC, Sunbelt) holding them back? I guess because the NCAA is involved meaning you can't pay players, they have to go to class to an extent, etc means holding the big schools back from doing what they want and having to share some money.

Mark Miller
10-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Programs "below" Alvarez and Wisconsin have certainly proved worthy to the Badgers over the years ... Cal Poly, Utah State, Cincinnati, Northern Iowa, etc., etc.

TheSultan
10-15-2012, 11:19 AM
This is disgusting - hasn't he been a fairly reasonable guy over the years? Was he drunk? Aren't most of these guys doing things like they already "have your own rules" anyway? Has he followed up with the typical "I was taken out of context" yet? So he wants this power conference to break away from the NCAA for football, but would result in basketball and all other sports breaking away as well? So the single most successful thing the NCAA does, the men's tourney would basically vaporize as I'm sure they would have their own country club tourney - ascots included.

What a tool.

OTOH, I am sure he is simply saying what others have been thinking for a long time. "You try to touch too much of our football money, and we will pull out of the NCAA altogether which will destroy your one big money-maker."

IWB
10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I wonder how his friends at Notre Dame and Miami feel about those comments as he sure didn't include the ACC.

CaribouJim
10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
OTOH, I am sure he is simply saying what others have been thinking for a long time. "You try to touch too much of our football money, and we will pull out of the NCAA altogether which will destroy your one big money-maker."

How much of their $ is being touched?? Football doesn't pay a dime to support the NCAA admin costs etc. does it? Thought the vast majority of the NCAA administrative costs come from the NCAA tourney.

IWB
10-15-2012, 11:37 AM
NCAA doesn't get anything from football, they get all of their money from basketball and a little from baseball.

TheSultan
10-15-2012, 01:01 PM
How much of their $ is being touched?? Football doesn't pay a dime to support the NCAA admin costs etc. does it? Thought the vast majority of the NCAA administrative costs come from the NCAA tourney.

In the last few years, TCU, Boise (twice), Utah and Hawaii have received BCS bowl berths. From their perspective, the money that is generated by the BCS bowls is "their" money since it is their popularity that drives the $$$.

MayorBeluga
10-15-2012, 03:54 PM
So if Barry gets his way, that clearly spells he end for the tax-exempt status of college sports. Look for Congress to tax athletic departments and conferences since they will have finally given up the pretense of being "for the student athletes"

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
As much as I'd love to see congress step in I doubt it would happen... Gotta remember that quite a few congress people have graduated from these universities and have a lot of voters in those areas that are fans...

TedBaxter
10-15-2012, 04:09 PM

What a tool.

If you would have asked, was he with a cheerleader? I would have said yes. Drunk and Bielema might work better together, but Barry has been known to tip a few (cheerleaders and drinks) also.:)

MayorBeluga
10-15-2012, 04:29 PM
A
As much as I'd love to see congress step in I doubt it would happen... Gotta remember that quite a few congress people have graduated from these universities and have a lot of voters in those areas that are fans...

But the country is broke and lots of congress-critters also either attended or represent the have-nots.

Query: why should athletic departments and conferences be tax-exempt?

TheSultan
10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
A

But the country is broke and lots of congress-critters also either attended or represent the have-nots.

Query: why should athletic departments and conferences be tax-exempt?

Taxing athletic departments as unrelated business income is probably a good idea, but all it really is going to do is make everyone's needs greater and potentially increase the separation from the haves and have nots. The real issue would be if the BCS conferences leave that the DoJ could explore a anti-trust suit...but I doubt that goes anywhere either.

MUMac
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
If you would have asked, was he with a cheerleader? I would have said yes. Drunk and Bielema might work better together, but Barry has been known to tip a few (cheerleaders and drinks) also.:)

Don't forget hostesses at local restaurants ...