PDA

View Full Version : More on Mayo ( from Hunt )

Nukem2
10-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Interesting blog post from Michael Hunt:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/174097831.html

kneelb4zerg
10-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Good insight, although the part about him Having 'lax work habits' doesn't really jive with what I had heard about how hard he worked last year, especially when he was slumping. Thought he was considered a gym rat type of player.

TheSultan
10-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Excellent artilcle...very well written.

Phantom Warrior
10-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I like two of Hunt's statements:

1. "Todd probably brought a sense of entitlement with him to Marquette, which is the wrong place for that."

2. "Me guys don't last long at Marquette."

The statement I did not like, thought was unncessary, was "He was also polite and soft-spoken at that moment." That's a b.s. remark. No professional journalist should take a cheap shot like that as the obvious implication is that Todd may not be soft-spoken and/or polite at other times. This was Hunt's first face-to-face contact with Mayo. Leave it go as, "He was also polite and soft-spoken."

warriorfan4life
10-14-2012, 01:34 PM
I like two of Hunt's statements:

1. "Todd probably brought a sense of entitlement with him to Marquette, which is the wrong place for that."

2. "Me guys don't last long at Marquette."

The statement I did not like, thought was unncessary, was "He was also polite and soft-spoken at that moment." That's a b.s. remark. No professional journalist should take a cheap shot like that as the obvious implication is that Todd may not be soft-spoken and/or polite at other times. This was Hunt's first face-to-face contact with Mayo. Leave it go as, "He was also polite and soft-spoken."

For me, those little things separate the quality of Hunt's piece from the excellent piece Mark Strotman wrote for Paint Touches. Mark did not throw in those unnecessary jabs, yet was able to tell just as effective of a story.

TulsaWarrior
10-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I have no problem with Hunt's piece on Mayo. It's not sugar coated and addresses the issues Mayo was struggling with in the past 12 months. Mayo may be the difference if Marquette makes a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. His adjustments to college and maturity issues could have added up to a short circuited career. Mayo seems to be taking an honest approach to those concerns. Even he would admit the jury is still out.

On MH's work -- it's nice to have a quality writer on the beat.

unclejohn
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I have to agree with Tulsa on this one. You guys are making way too much out of three words. I think this was a fair piece and actually a pretty good one, as it discussed issues that were going on that people like to talk about, but which are usually handled behind closed doors. It was an informative article, and I think a fair one. I hope things go well for Todd. It does go to show once again how important assistant coaches are. Someone asked why TJ Taylor left just because Tony Benford did. Well, there is your explanation. Benford recruited him, and he was the assistant he was closest to. That is not unusual.

Nukem2
10-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Hunt does not use these words carelessly. His articles always have a lot of innuendo. A good article, but he could have chosen some different words....?