PDA

View Full Version : Do people still like dunk contests?

Mucrisco
10-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Personally, I just don't get excited about them anymore. It seems like every dunk has been done. The bar has been raised so high that unless a dunk is spectacular, it's just not that exciting. Now that they've added a time limit on when a dunk should be finished, even when it finally goes down, the excitement has been taken away from all the missed dunks. It's true that it demonstrates how freaky athletic these guys are, but I already know that.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just getting too old. Maybe these dunk contests aren't targeted towards guys like me. Maybe younger kids still get excited about them. Personally, I'll take the three point contest and watch a guy or girl swish 15 in a row.

Nukem2
10-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes, the dunk contests are rather "old" these days. Even in the NBA All Star game weekend, no one participates any more. The risk of injury is too high as well.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I feel like the whole event lacked a little flair... There was quite a few dead spots where nothing was happening or the action was a little dull. I think what MU should do is review tape or send someone to some of the better midnight madnesses to get ideas that they could use to spice up the event some. I understand we can't do an event like Kentucky because it was reported they spent $300K on just lighting for the event, but there has to be something we could take away from these events. It's not like the event needs a complete overhaul, just needs a couple more things and a faster/smoother pace and it could be a really fun exciting event.