PDA

View Full Version : DaJuan Johnson visiting today

Nukem2
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Per Michael Hunt:

www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/173702411.html

TheSultan
10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Great effort by Hunt. First he gets the kid's name wrong...it's JaJuan Johnson. Then he says that Marquette would be one over without mentioning that Otule hasn't officially been granted his sixth year, and is in fact listed as a redshirt senior on the roster.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
For starters, the article is wrong from the first letter of JaJuan's name. Second, we won't be over for 2013-14 until Chris Otule is granted a 6th season. Way to get it all wrong, Hunt.

warriorfan4life
10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Just embarrassing to get the kids name wrong, and I will not even give Hunt or the J/S a click to the link. I guarantee that they would not screw up the name of a Rodent recruit visiting.

TedBaxter
10-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Johnson is also a senior, not a junior in high school. Good God!!!!

Goose85
10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Hunt has been doing this kind of work for a long time. Nobody reads his articles. JS is terrible, and not just for MU coverage.

Nukem2
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, he has corrected the name now...:p Oh well, at least he's ahead of things now. Thats encouraging...?

Mark Miller
10-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Unreal. Just pathetic in every aspect. Beyond sophomoric.

lougrant
10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
What does it say about my low expectations for him that I was just impressed he wrote anything at all? Sort of like when an underachieving teen flunks a geometry test and the parents congratulate him for simply getting out of bed and finding his way to class.

Hamostradamus
10-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Can't the JS find one person, ONE FREAKING PERSON, who knows MU basketball and can write articles for them during the season? I bet there is at least one undergrad Journalism major who would do it, for less than what they pay Hunt, and could even SPELL THE PLAYERS' NAMES RIGHT.

IWB
10-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Not only did he headline Johnson's name incorrectly, in the same article he stated that MU was one schollie over which they are not.

In his follow up story he mentioned that Buzz was glad to have Lockett back as he already graduated from MU.

Wow - two stories in one day, 4 major mistakes.

Goose85
10-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Not only did he headline Johnson's name incorrectly, in the same article he stated that MU was one schollie over which they are not.

In his follow up story he mentioned that Buzz was glad to have Lockett back as he already graduated from MU.

Wow - two stories in one day, 4 major mistakes.

Called Johnson a junior too.

IWB
10-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Make that 5 mistakes.

1) Jujuan Johnson not DaJuan
2) Johnson is a senior, not a junior
3) MU is not full with their scholarships
4) Lockett is new, so he is not "back"
5) Lockett graduated from ASU, not MU

2012Warrior
10-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Yea, but other than that he did pretty well. ;)

Yikes. Are we more shocked by the errors or that he took the effort to actually revise some of the stuff?

Hamostradamus
10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Yea, but other than that he did pretty well. ;)

Yikes. Are we more shocked by the errors or that he took the effort to actually revise some of the stuff?

The fact that he didn't fix everything is even more pathetic than the mistakes he made in the fisrt place.

AlexJesswein
10-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Burton at Brewster?

10-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Burton at Brewster?

And the misses keep coming...

TulsaWarrior
10-12-2012, 07:33 AM
I sorry but this tells me there is no commitment to his new assignment. He is sleep walking through it?

10-12-2012, 07:50 AM
I know a lot of people, especially those out of state, couldn't be bothered by this. But I really think that having any of the major media outlets in town treating Marquette the way the JS does isn't good for the school. It seems the only time they garner front page articles is when there's something negative to say. When Burton and Wilson committed, it wasn't major enough to be headline news. When that kid from Germantown walked on at Madison, it was. How is a city kid going to the city school not at least as big as a suburban kid going to a school 80 miles away?

Again, most of us don't get our news there. But by emphasizing the negative, it helps create a local perception that negative things are all that's going on. Add in all these mistakes and it's clear they don't care whatsoever. Maybe I should just throw my hands up and say "whatever", but unfortunately what it really does is just make me hope for the demise of the Journal-Sentinel, which really isn't something that's good for media in the city or country. It's a different world than it was 20 years ago, and clearly it's a world in which the JS doesn't have time to commit to the local program.

TheSultan
10-12-2012, 08:34 AM
It's not necessarily the lack of decent coverage that bothers me. It is the absolutely inept reporting last year and so far this year. Seriously, how can you consider yourself a reporter when you get *six* basic facts wrong in one article?

IWB
10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Here is the really bad part. Last night a guy that is over 70 years old comes up to me - "So how is Marquette going to do this year? Who will be their go to guys? I haven't read anything about them since that incident with the assistant coach."

It doesn't matter how old the guy is, the point is that there are a lot of people out there that are not on the message boards, that are not on the websites. These people depend on the newspaper and talk radio, and the Journal doesn't write about MU until yesterday (and get it wrong) or if it is something negative, and the sports talk radio stations are the exact same. They don't talk about MU unless it is pre-game or post-game or unless something bad happens.

It blows.

Dear ESPN 540 or WSSP: I would be happy to be on to discuss the positives with Marquette basketball any day. And, if needed, I can talk UWM, UWGB and Wisconsin too.

CaribouJim
10-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Here is the really bad part. Last night a guy that is over 70 years old comes up to me - "So how is Marquette going to do this year? Who will be their go to guys? I haven't read anything about them since that incident with the assistant coach."

It doesn't matter how old the guy is, the point is that there are a lot of people out there that are not on the message boards, that are not on the websites. These people depend on the newspaper and talk radio, and the Journal doesn't write about MU until yesterday (and get it wrong) or if it is something negative, and the sports talk radio stations are the exact same. They don't talk about MU unless it is pre-game or post-game or unless something bad happens.

It blows.

Dear ESPN 540 or WSSP: I would be happy to be on to discuss the positives with Marquette basketball any day. And, if needed, I can talk UWM, UWGB and Wisconsin too.

IWB, during your tenure there, what was the vibe there about MU, if there was any vibe or were you doing your own thing so you didn't interact with them at all? Weird - their office is a stone's throw from the BC - they see the crowds they get - the businesses around the BC that benefit - the 7 NCAA's and 2 Sweet 16's in a row and they barely lift a finger in their coverage of MU? I don't get it.

IWB
10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Well - put it this way, in my first meeting with them before I ever worked there, we all sat down and a guy spoke up and said, "Before we get started, you run a Marquette website, right?" (Yes) "Let me ask you this, why are Marquette fans such whiners? I mean they whine and complain about everything. It's almost as if they get out rulers and measure how long their articles are as opposed to others. Why is that?"

I gave a completely politically correct answer, but what I should have said was, "instead of taking shots at them, why don't you give them what they want? Afterall, they are subscribers.

Truth is, their priorities rank as follows.....Packers are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. Behind them is the Brewers, at 6th & 7th, Badgers at 8th & 9th and Bucks at 10th. Marquette is in the also covering category.

The biggest problem is that they are now spread so thin it isn't even funny. Last year Enlund was the MU beat writer, but he also covered UWM. When I first started there the sports side of the newsroom was always active, always people there. By the time I left, there were never more than 2-3 people in there. Most writers wouldn't even go into the office as they didn't want to be there. "Hey can I talk to you about this?" Sure, where do you want to meet? "I'm in the office all week." Oh, no, let's meet somewhere off site. It was pretty weird, and I am sure it is only worse because there were more rounds of layoffs since I have been gone.

10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
It's not necessarily the lack of decent coverage that bothers me. It is the absolutely inept reporting last year and so far this year. Seriously, how can you consider yourself a reporter when you get *six* basic facts wrong in one article?

To be fair, those were spread over two articles. I believe 4 errors in the DaJuan Johnson article and two about MU grad Trent Lockett in the other.

2012Warrior
10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
That's a shame about the JS. How many areas have two schools that have experienced the type of success MU and UW have had the past few years. I can't imagine many.

TedBaxter
10-12-2012, 10:18 AM
That's a shame about the JS. How many areas have two schools that have experienced the type of success MU and UW have had the past few years. I can't imagine many.

That's the future of newspapers. Unless they adjust and possibly contract out with some articles being written by people from websites who have experience with certain programs and certain sports, I don't think you are going to see a daily newspapers in most areas of the country in 5 years. Kind of like the Sporting News did for years only with local people. Some newspaper just did a deal with BadgerNation to provide some articles and was that the Wisconsin State Journal? Either trade some advertising space on a website for contributions or pay the people from the website to contribute on an article basis, but there has to be a shift and in my opinion, there needs to be more indepth coverage about the person behind the uniform to bring in the people again as subscribers. Keep the people for the coverage of the Packers, Badgers and Brewers and even preps if you want to stay strong in house, but get some other people in on an article basis.

Human interest articles more than about only the games and I would advise this for Jim also in his future articles. I keep going back to an article in either late 1980 or early 1981 where the Journal or the Sentinel wrote a whole page or page and a half story about Dwayne Johnson and his return to New York's Mater Christi High School from 2 years at St. John's Military Academy and Johnson was an uncommitted recruit at the time. They sent a writer to New York and they had photos of the area around Long Island City and it still hits home for me after 30 plus years.

TulsaWarrior
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
TedB -- I agree with you newspapers are in a transition and most of the surviving reporters are in the fetal position worrying about the future. Management at the JS doesn't have a clue about the brave new world of journalism. I pay for content on IWB's site for a reason. He cares and works hard. I would pay for access to the JS if there was decent content. It's not like the old days when the JS had a monoploy and editors had to deal with column inch issues, in a print addition. The length of stories, pictures and dialog with fans is easier if a media outlet chooses to go that route. The survivors will get it and other newspapers across the country are doing just thatr. There are a ton of cost effective stringers that the JS could tap into but the management is stuck with a business model that is closer to 1970, with the radically lower 2012 subscriber base.

Phantom Warrior
10-12-2012, 01:28 PM
J/S allows 20 free articles peer month. I have access to four different computers, so I can get up to 80 a month if I want, which is more than enough. In an average month I probably read 25-35 articles, and some of those end up not being worth the time. I will pay for a J/S subscription about the same time I pay for a premium subscription to BadgerNation.

Nukem2
10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
J/S allows 20 free articles peer month. I have access to four different computers, so I can get up to 80 a month if I want, which is more than enough. In an average month I probably read 25-35 articles, and some of those end up not being worth the time. I will pay for a J/S subscription about the same time I pay for a premium subscription to BadgerNation.Of course, those free articles will probably disappear in the near future. Thats not a sustainable businees plan as print subscribers keep declining.

TheSultan
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Of course, those free articles will probably disappear in the near future. Thats not a sustainable businees plan as print subscribers keep declining.

You have to provide the free ones to draw people to the site. If they go all pay, then the bookmark is gone off my computer entirely.

10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
You have to provide the free ones to draw people to the site. If they go all pay, then the bookmark is gone off my computer entirely.

Yes, but since they went to the 20/month model, I have been able to go to their site and read every single article I was interested in. I also haven't paid a dime. For people that use them casually, there's no profit.

Nukem2
10-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Such is life. But, the # of freeones to attract viewers will be marginalized very quickly. Lets face it, we all will be paying for on-line content across the internet spectrum at some point. Obviously, we'll need to pick and choose. Freebies will not be a plausible businees model other than sites inundated with advertsing that can't be avoided.

TheSultan
10-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Such is life. But, the # of freeones to attract viewers will be marginalized very quickly. Lets face it, we all will be paying for on-line content across the internet spectrum at some point. Obviously, we'll need to pick and choose. Freebies will not be a plausible businees model other than sites inundated with advertsing that can't be avoided.

They have been saying that for years. There will always be free alternatives. As soon as someone puts up a paywall, someone takes one down or creates a new site, and that's where the traffic goes.

Nukem2
10-12-2012, 03:15 PM
They have been saying that for years. There will always be free alternatives. As soon as someone puts up a paywall, someone takes one down or creates a new site, and that's where the traffic goes.Guess we'll have to wait and see. Truth is somehwere in between.

Goose85
10-12-2012, 03:34 PM
It will change a lot quickly I think. I'm old enough to recall when cable TV first came out. Yep, you paid for the service and their were no commercials initially on MTV, etc. When bars first started getting the satelite tv hookups that is exactly what you got, the satelite feed. No commercials between innings, just the satelite feed. In a very short time that all changed, to the point that you now almost have to have cable tv or satelite tv, and while we pay for the service, we also get plenty of commercials too.

Websites like JS will eventually make you pay to read anything. And when you log on you'll have to watch a commercial too.