PDA

View Full Version : New Reseating Policy: NO PICKING SEATS

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Marquette is changing their reseating policy. It will now take place every year and you will submit preferences to Marquette. The Blue and Gold Fund will then pick your seats for you. I already called and complained, I urge every single season-ticket holder to do the same.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/blue-gold/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/MBBReseatingFAQ.pdf

Direct complaints to:

Joe True (414) 288-4668

MUBasketball
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I remember hearing about this over the summer. As I understand it, this isn't something they had control over. Well, I heard reseating every year was out of their control, not sure about having B&G Fund select the seats though.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
10-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Who has control over this? Seems ridiculous. I am getting increasingly more annoyed with all of these changes. If this keeps up there is a good likelihood that I won't be renewing my tickets.

IWB
10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Don't blame them, this is not on the B&G fund. It is my understanding that this is on the IRS. They determined that, because you are getting something in return for you seat license/donation, that it is not tax deductible. MU is doing what they have to do. The IRS has been sweeping Universities across the nation, coming down on the whole point system concept.

Not a great situation, but complaining won't help.

TheSultan
10-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Preferential seating has always been tax deductible under the "80/20 rule." (In other words, 80% of your deduction is tax deductible if you use it to get preferential seats to buy.) In reading MU's release, it looks as though the IRS wants this done every year and not every-other-year. Which makes some sense, but I'm not sure why they don't just stick with their current practice?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/blue-gold/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/MBBReseatingFAQ.pdf

MayorBeluga
10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Don't blame them, this is not on the B&G fund. It is my understanding that this is on the IRS. They determined that, because you are getting something in return for you seat license/donation, that it is not tax deductible. MU is doing what they have to do. The IRS has been sweeping Universities across the nation, coming down on the whole point system concept.

Not a great situation, but complaining won't help.

Ok, if the IRS truly is forcing an annual reseating (cite?) fine. However Hizzoner sexually doubts the IRS is forcing MU to chose my seats. If so, please provide us with the cite to the IRS Notice, Rev.Proc. or Ruling, as Hizzonewr would like to read it.

MUAlphaBangura
10-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Ok, if the IRS truly is forcing an annual reseating (cite?) fine. However Hizzoner sexually doubts the IRS is forcing MU to chose my seats. If so, please provide us with the cite to the IRS Notice, Rev.Proc. or Ruling, as Hizzonewr would like to read it.

where is your mind? "sexually doubt"? really? this wedding can't get here soon enough!!!!!!!

CaribouJim
10-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Splitting up the Fightin' 218???? Don't mess with the best, because the best don't mess. If it the IRS, how anal can you get??

10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
where is your mind? "sexually doubt"? really? this wedding can't get here soon enough!!!!!!!

Apparently the Mayor is posting from his phone and has the AutocorreXXXt app.

MayorBeluga
10-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Apparently the Mayor is posting from his phone and has the AutocorreXXXt app.

Stupid auto correct on the iPad.

pbiflyer
10-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Stupid auto correct on the iPad.

No way, that is going to be my new tag line! (With credit to you, of course). :D

10-09-2012, 07:26 AM
First of all, and I'm sure this is of little consolation, this PDF wasn't supposed to be leaked yesterday. The PDF is currently at the printer and was supposed to be mailed out along with an explanatory letter this week.

Second, I went through the three threads about this and tried to address any questions not included in the first bit of this post below. So if I don't address something in the next 2 paragraphs, scroll down and look through the various topics. I'm sure I will repeat myself in here, but better to make sure I pass on as much as I can than not explain enough.

As far as the taxable nature of this, this is Wisconsin State Department of Revenue. Joe said that the IRS had nothing to do with this as far as he is aware. The reason for the change is if you are able to pick your exact seats, you are effectively purchasing something with your charitable donation. Because of that, this change will only affect people that buy seats with automatic charitable donations. That includes the lower bowl and the center sections upstairs. People purchasing seats that do not have an automatic charitable donation (such as the wings upstairs and the upstairs baseline sections) you will still be able to pick individual seats as before.

Regarding how picking will work, Marquette is planning a seminar or something along that line to go through the process. But here's what I gather: when your slot comes up, you will be able to fill out the new form. If you want to guarantee aisle seats, he advised picking a section and row where there are still 14 seats available as aisles generally go first. At this point, I highly recommend the seminar because I have a feeling it will be the best way to answer questions. However, Joe also asked me to contact him with any questions, so pass whatever on and I'll try to get answers and get them posted. Suffice to say that calls yesterday didn't go unnoticed...he called me around 9:00 last night ;D

Going through this thread and looking at specific questions and issues that were raised, here's what I learned:

mu03eng Regarding Badger fans not having the same policy: They may not have it yet, but as this is a state law, they will also have to institute it, as will UW-Milwaukee and UW-Green Bay.

PTM Regarding the ease of the process for Marquette: MU isn't happy because this will be a lot more work for them. Joe said they loved the online picking system and having got used to it, it was very easy for them as all they did was field the occasional question. The new rules will make a lot more work for them as they have to pick seats for 80% of the STHs every year.

MUfan12 Regarding "charitable status donations": Marquette will not be changing donation requirements based on this law. I am sure seat prices will continue to go up, but this won't be the reason for it.

Brewtown Andy, mu03eng, MUfan12 Regarding the current system: The website worked fine and Marquette was very happy with the results; they would continue to use it if they could. The new interface will be a lot more work and hassle for the B&G Fund.

Dr. Blackheart Regarding changing preferences based on available seats: In the past, you had to pick your specific seats when your slot opened up. This will work similarly, in that you will submit your preferences when your slot opens up. Those preferences will be able to be pretty specific, from Joe's description. If you want the aisle closest to center court, you can request that. Center aisle, you can request that. Same seats as last year, you can request that. Sitting next to another STH, you can request that.

mu_hilltopper Regarding them allowing you and your accountant to figure it out: Really sounds like they can't call it a charitable donation without picking the seats for you. I asked for the specific tax codes and Joe said he'd email me information. Now the only problem is figuring out which email I have that stuff routed to...

5YearsatMU, jsglow Regarding sitting by your sister/classmate or keeping the same seats: All of those can be requested in the preferences, as mentioned above.

Sultan Regarding the DOR requirement to reseat every year vs Marquette picking your specific seats: Again, the big thing is that if you get to pick exact seats, the DOR sees it as using your charitable donation to purchase something. The sense I got last night was that if they had their way, Marquette would just pick all the seats. This system allows them to comply while still getting you as close (section, row) to exactly what you want, and then inferring from your preferences further what you want. It really sounds like both the annual reseating and the picking of exact seats are something Marquette had to do to be compliant with the DOR.

WI_inferiority_complexes Regarding getting aisle seats for your kids: This is definitely a tough one. If you want to guarantee aisle seats, when your slot comes up, pick a row and section with 12 or more seats left. That way you will be guaranteed to be on an aisle. Or if you are happy with your current aisle seats, just say "same seats". Aisle seats almost always go first, so if you see a row with 8 seats left, they will likely be in the middle.

Skatastrophy Regarding going down to the Al: I'll be curious to see how this helps. I imagine they'll be able to give you more direct feedback on what's available. At least for year one, I imagine this is how I'll be handling my reseating slot too.

Dr. Blackheart Regarding why this was posted to the website before being sent out: Sounds like simple human error, though I agree that's a bit distressing. Another gaffe in Marquette's PR machine. All Joe could really say to explain that was it wasn't supposed to be posted. When it was, and when the backlash started (the message board outrage coupled with phone calls was why he called me last night), he said they were prepared in that the letter from Broeker was already ready to go, which is why they re-posted that shortly thereafter. But I agree that there have been too many slip-ups, and this is another. Letters in the mail would have been much better, at least we would have had a bit of explanation along with it.

MUunderpants Regarding MU's motivation for this: You hit it pretty much on the head. Both for Marquette to maintain non-profit status and for us to continue being able to get an 80% write-off on the charitable donation, this had to be done.

Dr. Blackheart Regarding non-WI residents: I think the issue here is that Marquette has to follow WI DOR laws because they are located in Wisconsin. No matter where the purchaser is, they still need to maintain their non-profit status based on our laws. However, I will be curious to see the Bucky reaction to all this, because from what Joe said, everyone will have to go to this type of system.

MayorBeluga Regarding the DOR forcing MU to choose your seats: Pretty sure I covered this above, but it largely comes down to using your donation to make a PSL purchase. In the eyes of the WI DOR, if you can pick your exact seat, you are buying that seat under the auspices of a "charitable donation", and because you are buying it, you shouldn't be able to write it off.

CaribouJim Regarding splitting up your section: One of the preference options will be "same seats", so if you and the people around you like the section, you can stay there provided no one bumps you out before your choice comes up.

BuzzWilliams4Pres Regarding the status of the points system: The points system will still be intact. In the past, when your point level was reached, a slot opened up and you were able to pick your seats. Now, a slot will open up and you will be able to submit your preferences. I am not sure how they will handle tiebreakers, but Joe did say that if people were equal, the preferences would be considered based on submission time. So if the B&G fund had you and I exactly equal on points and all other considerations and we both submitted the same preferences, they would take whichever of us submitted our preferences first based on the Internet time stamp.

MU_Iceman Regarding the seating process for non-seat fee STHs: If you pick a seat in a section that does not require a donation seating fee, you will not be affected. If you pick in 425, for example, you will still be able to pick your exact seats. This change is only affecting those with seats that have automatic donation requirements.

And if anyone has any other questions, please PM me or ask in these threads and I'll pass them on to Joe. Probably easier to send a mass email to address multiple things.

IWB
10-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks for posting all of the info BC77 - Seems like there is nothing MU could do, and it also seems like Joe True gave you a ton of information. Maybe next time you will think before posting that people should launch a mass complaint assault on Joe True.

10-09-2012, 08:40 AM
The reason I am able to pass this information along is specifically because of that. I have no problem prompting positive action on his part as it is helping to provide answers we are all looking for.

10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I talked to Joe True at Haunted Hoops and asked about a number of questions that had been brought up here and elsewhere and wanted to share his responses with everyone. I didn't keep track of who asked what, so I'll just post the question and the answers I received:

Will there be a continuous update of which rows/seats have been taken?

There will continue to be real-time updates of how many seats are available in each row, however MU will not be able to let us know which exact seats are available. In the past, you would see the exact seats. Now you will simply see the row and how many seats out of 14 are available. In general, aisle seats tend to go first, so consider that when you are picking your seats. Also, for any seats that DO NOT have a minimum donation, you will still see the exact seats in real-time. The changes only apply to those sections with mandatory donations assigned to them.

Would it be possible to simply add sales tax to the value of the seats and allow us to still pick exact seats?

If they did this, it would kill the Blue & Gold fund, which pays for virtually all of the sports scholarships, not just basketball. The only way to keep seat donations (which are the primary source of B&G Fund funding) was to make this switch. In order for Marquette to get those donation values tax-free, a portion of the seat price must be left as a donation. Simply adding sales tax wouldn't work.

Will this also affect Wisconsin, Milwaukee, and Green Bay?

It will not force any change at Milwaukee or Green Bay because they do not require seat donations on any of their seats. Madison has their own seating policy and their own way of conforming to these rules. From what I understand, they do not pick exact seats there either. Wisconsin is a bit different because as a larger school, they are not so reliant on seating donations from football/basketball/hockey to fund their other sports. But they are already compliant with the law that we now must follow.

Has there been any thought of going to a PSL system?

Like the sales tax, this really isn't an option. The PSL system used in Green Bay was only allowed because the state gave an exemption to the Packers (go figure). Otherwise, they would be subject to the exact same rules. But part of the GBP deal allowed the PSLs. However this would have a tremendous impact on the B&G Fund and really isn't a viable option.

How will it work if I want to sit with a friend?

If you have another group of season ticket holders you want to sit with, the time slot will be picked at the lower STH's spot. One STH will be declared "team captain" and will pick all of the seats for the group. Thus, two STHs could pick up to 8 seats at the same time with the captain making the selections.

Will I be able to sit with FaceBook friends?

So far, there has been no action to try to link FB with the reseating process.

When will I know which seats I get?

Marquette is still settling how best to handle this. It sounds like it will most likely be next day as most people won't want to wait until the entire reseating process is done before finding out their exact seats.

If there are 14 seats in a row and the first two selectors take 4 each on the ends, and the third requests 2 seats with a center aisle preference, will I be alerted that picking the remaining 4 seats in this row will be non-sequential?

I asked this mid-conversation. It's something Joe will be bringing back to the table. It sounds like they have the process 80% done and are ironing out final details.

Why make this change so soon after implementing new software?

I'm sure I addressed this before, but MU didn't have a choice. If they had their way, they would much rather we pick our seats bi-annually because them picking them every year is a lot more hassle and work. As mentioned, the old system will still be in place for non-donation seats. Initially, there was discussion of only allowing STHs to pick their section. Marquette is trying to be as transparent as possible by allowing us to select section and row, as well as preferences such as aisle, mid-aisle, or same seats as before. I really get the sense that the B&G Fund is going to do everything in their power to get you the exact seats you want. The new laws from the state aren't making that easy, but Marquette is trying to work within those laws to make the process as smooth and satisfactory as possible.

What about people with the same number of preference points?

Tiebreakers will work the exact same as before. Everyone will still get their slot, and if multiple people have the same number of preference points, tiebreakers will separate them. Nothing is changing in that regard.

Would I be better off just going down to the Al to pick my seats?

Going to the Al will still be an option, but the only advantage is that there will be about a dozen computers there for you to log on to. You still won't see the available seats, though there will be people to help you through any changes. But if you have reliable internet at home, there is no advantage to going to the Al.

What if I have additional questions?

I'd be happy to talk to Joe on anyone's behalf, but I'd also encourage you to call him. His number is listed earlier in this thread, and at least from my perspective, it's very reassuring to hear that MU really is doing everything in their power to make this as easy as possible. In addition, they are planning some Webinars to further explain the process, and may have some live seminars as well.

IWB
10-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Will this also affect Wisconsin, Milwaukee, and Green Bay?

It will not force any change at Milwaukee or Green Bay because they do not require seat donations on any of their seats. Madison has their own seating policy and their own way of conforming to these rules. From what I understand, they do not pick exact seats there either. Wisconsin is a bit different because as a larger school, they are not so reliant on seating donations from football/basketball/hockey to fund their other sports. But they are already compliant with the law that we now must follow.

Really makes you wonder how this all came about. A ruling out of Madison and it only affects Marquette and nobody else?

TheSultan
10-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Actually what I would infer from that is that Wisconsin was already in compliance and didn't need to change their policy. That left MU as the only school that had to change.

Goose85
10-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I know football and basketball at Madison have seat fees as well. They may be different in that I am not sure if they do a bi-annual reseating, so if that is the case, then they would not be affected. I think MU is affected because every two years I can improve my seating by making donations.

Bocephys
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Really makes you wonder how this all came about. A ruling out of Madison and it only affects Marquette and nobody else?
Let's not jump to ridiculous conclusions here.

IWB
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I know that sounds stupid, but my question is, where did this come from? How did this suddenly come up? Did somebody somewhere in the state DoR in Madison just say, "Hey, what about these college seat licenses? Maybe we should look into them?"

This isn't Texas where there are a ton of D1 schools, here we have 4. Two of which this does not apply to, and one is already in compliance? How did this come about and why?

Gato78
10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I believe Madison had the same issue and came into compliance a couple of years ago.

IWB
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Ok, thanks - from what I had heard earlier in the process was that Marquette was the first school to go through this.

Never mind then....