PDA

View Full Version : scout site

dubs98
10-07-2012, 09:31 AM
IWB please delete this if you would prefer not to have this discussion on your board. I believe you are friends with Dodds and therefore I am hoping it is ok if I ask a few questions on your board since I can not access the scout one. I was already looking into switching my premium membership to your board once my time is up on scout, but the recent changes may accelerate that decision. Either way, I would like to still support the free board and freq it, however I am unable to access it. Does anyone know if your old ID/password should still work or do you have to create a new login/registration with fox sports? Also, can anyone verify if Dodds is still going to moderate the site? I find it strange that there has not been any comments from him (or scout/fox sports for that matter) regarding the changes and/or directing us how to access the system/new features. I think Dodds has done a nice job over the years of offering a nice site and it would be a shame to see it vanish so quickly. Either way, glad that brewcityball is around!

IWB
10-07-2012, 09:39 AM
You can still access the new message boards with your current username and password.

Yes, John Dodds will still moderate. Here is the issue that I think you are seeing. The MarquetteHoops site has not officially rolled over yet. If you go straight to the old message boards, it is what most are currently using. If you go in through Scout or through the homepage, you go to the new message board, and the majority of the MarquetteHoops posters have not posted there yet.

Here is the link to the regular board if you need it..... http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415

Got to love Doddsy's comment about the new Scout/Fox roll out, "I feel like I'm in the backseat of a car being operated by Toonces the Driving Cat".

Goose85
10-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Awesome line from an old SNL bit.

TedBaxter
10-07-2012, 10:10 AM
To me it's idiotic that Fox would roll out a new look only 3 weeks from the signing period, but thats the way some computer people think or don't think.

IWB
10-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Scout thinks football, not basketball.

Phantom Warrior
10-07-2012, 10:50 AM
If it's any consolation to anyone, BadgerNation is experienceing the same problems, and people aren't happy.

dubs98
10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
thanks. that was the issue (at least in regards to accessing the site.) I had no idea the old one was still around as I was just redirected to the new one. What a terrible job by fox of communicating these changes to anyone. I would not want to be in Dodds position and have to deal with that. Thanks for allowing me to ask about this on your site.

dubs98
10-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Scout thinks football, not basketball.

I live in Ann Arbor and eventually checked out the U of M scout site for FBall and it is not going any better for the football group. Sounds like several canceled their subscriptions yesterday. Fball, Bball, either way, not well done.

pbiflyer
10-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I live in Ann Arbor and eventually checked out the U of M scout site for FBall and it is not going any better for the football group. Sounds like several canceled their subscriptions yesterday. Fball, Bball, either way, not well done.

I didn't think you could do that after you committed for a year.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I didn't think you could do that after you committed for a year.

You couldn't. Even after being banned they wouldn't refund the remainder of my subscription, and the moderator refused to respond to any of my PMs.

TheSultan
10-07-2012, 04:00 PM
You couldn't. Even after being banned they wouldn't refund the remainder of my subscription, and the moderator refused to respond to any of my PMs.

Wow. And I'm supposed to feel sorry for the guy?

10-07-2012, 04:30 PM

*Shrugs*

According to all the Scout operators I talked to, my subscription still allowed me to access their national articles. However my issue was having zero access to the MarquetteHoops site. I couldn't even get read-only privilege. The first time I contacted MarquetteHoops, I was told to call Scout, which I had already done and been denied, and was denied again when I called back. I attempted to contact the moderator again, I would guess at least 6 times via both PM and direct email, and have yet to receive a response.

However, I really only started spending significant time on this site after I was banned. Despite the money lost, J consider it a net win.

kneelb4zerg
10-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Who says issuing a refund is up to Dodds? (don't know one way or the other, just asking)...

IWB
10-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Issuing a refund from Scout or Rivals is not that easy. It's not like the site guys get 100% of your subscription fee. Actually, they get less than half. So, in a cancellation, who gets/gives what? It is not that cut and dry.

But they could have put you on a read only basis.

Goose85
10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Props to IWB for discussing Dodds site and even helping visitors on his site navigate through the crap changes made to the Scout network. Shows the two are friends who both work together for the betterment of MU hoops - a win for MU fans and shows IWB is a class guy. Same can't be said about guys at Scoop or Weimer/Walsh/Fleck from A-Eagle who feel they need to rip other MU site administrators on a consistent basis in failed attempts to make themselves look better.

10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Props to IWB for discussing Dodds site and even helping visitors on his site navigate through the crap changes made to the Scout network. Shows the two are friends who both work together for the betterment of MU hoops - a win for MU fans and shows IWB is a class guy. Same can't be said about guys at Scoop or Weimer/Walsh/Fleck from A-Eagle who feel they need to rip other MU site administrators on a consistent basis in failed attempts to make themselves look better.

To be fair to the guys at Scoop, Dodds is barely willing to acknowledge their existence, and has deleted links to their site numerous times in the past. When I tried to open a dialogue between him and Cracked Sidewalks, he was very, very difficult to say the least as he seemed to think any links away from his site were an attempt to steal his business. I also haven't seen Dodds ever frequent this site. I'm glad to see some of his users here, especially guys like Young, Crisco, and Kneel that I really enjoyed on the Scout site, but if he was interested in the same friendship you are indicating and someone who wanted to "work together for the betterment of MU hoops" you would see him at least allow his users to have an interest in other sites.

I respect what John has done for Marquette hoops, and feel that much of what we have today, not just the Scout site, but sites like this one and Scoop, we owe to his work over the years. But I do feel he could do a lot more to be an ambassador in bringing the various online communities together rather than encouraging the divisiveness we experience today.

TheSultan
10-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Agreed. Furthermore, I have never seen a site moderator be so quick on the trigger to lock topics and ban users. That is one of the reasons that place has become a wasteland.

Nukem2
10-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Of coursei, you were an angel. Was that the ddsam stuff...?

IWB
10-07-2012, 09:11 PM
To be fair to the guys at Scoop, Dodds is barely willing to acknowledge their existence, and has deleted links to their site numerous times in the past. When I tried to open a dialogue between him and Cracked Sidewalks, he was very, very difficult to say the least as he seemed to think any links away from his site were an attempt to steal his business. I also haven't seen Dodds ever frequent this site. I'm glad to see some of his users here, especially guys like Young, Crisco, and Kneel that I really enjoyed on the Scout site, but if he was interested in the same friendship you are indicating and someone who wanted to "work together for the betterment of MU hoops" you would see him at least allow his users to have an interest in other sites.

I respect what John has done for Marquette hoops, and feel that much of what we have today, not just the Scout site, but sites like this one and Scoop, we owe to his work over the years. But I do feel he could do a lot more to be an ambassador in bringing the various online communities together rather than encouraging the divisiveness we experience today.

What you have to understand is that there are some back stories to all of those relationships that you are suggesting, so to think he just isn't open to that is wrong.

TheSultan
10-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Of coursei, you were an angel.

No I wasn't. But I was completely fed up with him shutting down threads when he was pretty much proven wrong. By the time I said what I said, I resigned myself to leaving the place anyway. I mean, I have been posting crap on the internet way back to the old rec.sport.basketball.college USENET days. I have never seen a site run like that.

10-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Of coursei, you were an angel. Was that the ddsam stuff...?

With Sultan? I'm pretty sure not. Sultan wasn't a premium member at all, as I recall, certainly not during the ddsam stuff. Sultan and Dodds had a disagreement over a topic and Dodds essentially told Sultan his opinion wasn't going to be allowed. It escalated, I remember voicing my opinion that the discussion should be an open forum. Despite me saying multiple times that I agreed with Dodds' side of the argument, I felt that Sultan's points were valid and deserved to be heard. Both Sultan and I were banned for the trouble.

What you have to understand is that there are some back stories to all of those relationships that you are suggesting, so to think he just isn't open to that is wrong.

There wasn't a backstory with me, and I was the one trying to open the dialogue. Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth continuing. I'm happy to discuss things via PM if anyone wants my perspective on the matter, but as I said, I think Dodds has done a lot of good work that helped facilitate all of these sites. Regardless of my personal feelings of him as a moderator or his current role among Marquette basketball websites, I'm glad for the positive things he provided. I'll leave it at that.

Nukem2
10-07-2012, 09:30 PM
No I wasn't. But I was completely fed up with him shutting down threads when he was pretty much proven wrong. By the time I said what I said, I resigned myself to leaving the place anyway. I mean, I have been posting crap on the internet way back to the old rec.sport.basketball.college USENET days. I have never seen a site run like that.
Was responding to Brew

10-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Was responding to Brew

I'll PM you.

Halo
10-08-2012, 10:01 AM

So your solution was to start a thread with the title "You are a ***** Dodds"? Are you in a professional business? How old are you? It's a message board and you are anonymous poster. I disagree with many things he or others say, but would never put something like that out there. To each his own.

MUAlphaBangura
10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
So your solution was to start a thread with the title "You are a ***** Dodds"? Are you in a professional business? How old are you? It's a message board and you are anonymous poster. I disagree with many things he or others say, but would never put something like that out there. To each his own.

+1 Halo. That was some of the most immature stuff I've ever seen on a message board. Quite frankly Sultan, that was not your finest moment. You seem to have grown from that episode with JD as far as your contributions here(which I have enjoyed), but I wonder when you might go off here, like you did on JD's board. Hope it doesn't happen.

dubs98
10-08-2012, 10:42 AM
sorry, I didn't intend this thread to turn into another argument over those who agree/disagree with Dodds. Simply wanted to get some information on the scout site and what is happening with it. Again, I appreciate IWB allowing me to ask these questions on his forum. As Brew mentioned, not everyone agrees with Dodds approach with moderating, but many others do enjoy it's more tame nature relative to scoop. And as Brew said, no one can deny the fact that he has invested a lot of time over the years to provide an outlet for our MU hoops itch.

I check all three boards daily and enjoy ea for diff reasons. Unfortunately there seems to be an incredible divide among scout/scoop with brewcityball being the new independent party. In the end that is unfortunate as we are all MU hoops junkies just looking for some good discussion and a bit of info on the team we passionately root for. Hopefully everyone can keep that in the back of their mind.

TheSultan
10-08-2012, 11:52 AM
+1 Halo. That was some of the most immature stuff I've ever seen on a message board. Quite frankly Sultan, that was not your finest moment. You seem to have grown from that episode with JD as far as your contributions here(which I have enjoyed), but I wonder when you might go off here, like you did on JD's board. Hope it doesn't happen.

Oh I've had worse moments...believe me. And I should have undoubtedly handled it differently, but the exasperation of how that board was moderated was too much. Don't worry. We all learn and move on.

TheSultan
10-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Oh I've had worse moments...believe me. And I should have undoubtedly handled it differently, but the exasperation of how that board was moderated was too much. Don't worry. We all learn and move on.

And I did send him a PM with an apology the next day. Not sure he got it though because I never got any sort of response.

Nukem2
10-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I check all three boards daily and enjoy ea for diff reasons. Unfortunately there seems to be an incredible divide among scout/scoop with brewcityball being the new independent party. In the end that is unfortunate as we are all MU hoops junkies just looking for some good discussion and a bit of info on the team we passionately root for. Hopefully everyone can keep that in the back of their mind.Agreed. Sometimes folks need to take things off-line. As with you, I'm also looking for information and good discussion. Go Marquette...!

ziggysfryboy
10-08-2012, 01:05 PM

And I did send him a PM with an apology the next day. Not sure he got it though because I never got any sort of response.

Yet you immediately put the banning in your scoop signature like a badge of honor.

TheSultan
10-08-2012, 01:11 PM
And removed it a week or so later. Look, I don't know what else I can say.

Halo
10-08-2012, 02:57 PM
And removed it a week or so later. Look, I don't know what else I can say.

There is nothing more to say. In all my years reading a message board, I think that may have been the most immature post I have seen from someone who wants to be taken seriously and not a troll. What's done is done.

warriorfan4life
10-08-2012, 07:59 PM
The roll out went so bad that there will be a roll back to the original design (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/255469729886654464).

AlexJesswein
10-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The roll out went so bad that there will be a roll back to the original design (https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/255469729886654464).

Thank God!

DoddsOnSports
10-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Hey Sultan....

Last Memorial Day weekend…when we had thread that went on for three days about the value of a new arena in MIlw…I posted that it would be great for the community…you posted study after study that had a different conclusion…which is fine…reasonable people can differ…and when I have an opinion that I hold to be true, I don’t ‘cry uncle’ and change it very easily…and reply repetition is not persuasive. I thought we pretty much covered the topic.

I was getting PMs that indicated the issue had become tiresome to the board and it was time to go back to MU basketball topics….so I locked the thread …said that we had to move on…..and left for a Sunday dinner with my family….I returned at 10pm on Sunday night… to discover that you called me a ‘*****’ in a separate thread…and about 25 posters replied that you were an idiot.

…and after having posted 10+ posts over a three day period in the thread that I had locked…somehow accused me of ‘censorship’….WHAT? Ummm….I think censorship means preventing someone from expressing their thoughts…I locked a thread!?

Anyway…I left the board for 5 hrs and it went to hell…I try to operate a professional board…ie.."a big boy board"…my name is on the board….so I tend to be responsible for the content and quality…. and I don’t want to be a babysitter on the board…..I don’t have the time… some posters obviously cannot handle this…and many months later you are still posting about this…so I wanted to set the record straight.

I don’t know if you are a 15 yr old kid in his parent’s basement or this century’s ‘Ben Franklin’……but if you want to call me a ‘*****’ in the future have the guts to sign your name…not act like a little school girl with a screen name…

Here is a standard to live by….Would your employer…clients…students…fellow teachers…professors…patients…family members…friends…neighbors…be disappointed in you if they knew you came on a Scout.com message board and called the moderator a ‘*****?’

If so, don’t do it…if not, then comment but sign your real name…my name is there for all to see….

I banned you because I could not trust you and I don’t have the time to babysit the board…there…I have set the record straight…

DoddsOnSports
10-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Brew’77…. interesting comments about Scoops and CS but not necessarily accurate …

I have a link to Cracked Sidewalks on my site…I talk to Tim Blair every time I am in NYC at the March Tourney…I think it is a great site…there was a statistical article that I thought was terrific…I met with the author and offered to give it more national exposure on the Fox Sports network. The author said ‘sure’ but he wanted to check it out first and was told that they would be uncomfortable with this given the competition. OK.

Cracked sidewalks and our site got off to a difficult start…Chicos, one of the original publishers came to our massage board and posted links every 5 minutes…trying to redirect traffic…when I asked him to stop…he did not…so I banned him…I think other sites have been driven nuts too and have banned him.

Later on, when IWB had 2 jobs phased out by mergers in 6mos…he wanted to write articles at the site for extra money while he looked for work..…I thought that would be a great idea...he went to an AAU tourney and interviewed people all day…he wrote 3 articles and posted them in the Scout premium board…he had 3 more ready to go…but 5 min after the articles were posted CS linked the articles…which was fine…but they did it after someone copied them and posted them on the Milw Journal website and linked to the JS site…Jimmy called me and said what was the point of publishing the other 3 articles…happy ending as a yr later, IWB was hired by the Journal and he looked up the IP addresses of the posters who copied the premium content….interesting to learn their identity.

I understand that they are no longer affiliated with CS …and that Tim never knew about the incident...

Regarding Scoops…I tried to add Kevin Buckley to our site when Ahoya went down…when I read some of the posts there, I just get the impression that we are not one big happy MU family… One poster on Scoops made a preposterous accusation that I once blackmailed him into working at my site. I wanted the guy to do some video work…as he had some impressive editing skills…and in the email asking if he wanted to work with us, I gave him a heads up to not spend a ton of time editing ESPN highlights of MU games…because ESPN was trolling YouTube to delete copyrighted highlights. Somehow, he took this to mean that unless he joined my site, it was only then, he would be able to continue to post the ESPN highlights. Really? How I was going to convince ESPN to allow this?…it made me think…whoa Nellie…

I am an attorney…I operate a financial services firm and I try to act with ethics and integrity…I don’t want my good name soiled for something as stupid as this…so I called a moderator at Scoops to have the post taken down…but to my surprise he would not take it down....which was disappointing…and it was classic when Chicos replied in the thread, ‘Blackmail? With Dodds, it is not surprising.’ Serves me right for running a Marquette fan board….I guess. Whoa Nellie #2.

Are we one big happy Marquette family of fans or would certain people love to see our side dry up and blow away? We have a very popular message board from all over the country…and a top network [when it is not being run by the IT dept]…On my board,a poster's link to Scoops, is it trying to promote info for fans or trying to attract/redirect traffic?? I will let you decide that one….that is tough to answer...it is hard to determine intent...esp at the office between calls...

In 2012, I have had a rough yr with time….a family member on my wife’s side moved into a retirement community and her house had to be fixed up and sold…it has been sold...thank you God!…and I am ready for a great yr of hoops…

10-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Honestly, let's just let this go. One of the best things that ever happened to me was being banned from the Scout site. I'm not being dragged back into this.

TheSultan
10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Hey Sultan....

Last Memorial Day weekend…when we had thread that went on for three days about the value of a new arena in MIlw…I posted that it would be great for the community…you posted study after study that had a different conclusion…which is fine…reasonable people can differ…and when I have an opinion that I hold to be true, I don’t ‘cry uncle’ and change it very easily…and reply repetition is not persuasive. I thought we pretty much covered the topic.

I was getting PMs that indicated the issue had become tiresome to the board and it was time to go back to MU basketball topics….so I locked the thread …

Look, I sent you PM and apologized for calling you a name. And I will do so here again - I am sorry. It was done in a moment of frustration but shouldn't have let it get to me.

But you are kind of Monday morning quarterbacking the whole thing about the arena posts. I'm not going to get into it beyond that.

IWB
10-09-2012, 08:11 AM
How about everybody all moves on.

Thanks