PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Steve Cottingham

JDubMU
10-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Steve Cottingham was just named the Senior Associate Athletic Director/CFO at Colorado State University

Phantom Warrior
10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
+1,000.

I had a chance to meet Steve and his family a few times this past winter, spring, and summer. He's a class act. It is really a shame that the Board threw him under the proverbial bus. I am still angry about that. One of the worst decisions the Board has ever made.

JDubMU
10-03-2012, 01:18 PM
With potential longstanding ramifications in the next years Im afraid. Mad just like you.

Nukem2
10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
+1,000.

I had a chance to meet Steve and his family a few times this past winter, spring, and summer. He's a class act. It is really a shame that the Board threw him under the proverbial bus. I am still angry about that. One of the worst decisions the Board has ever made.Agree totally. Steve is a really good man.

Goose85
10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I wish he was still our AD.

Gato78
10-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Cottingham is a great guy. His wife is equally great and they have a beautiful family. Very happy for them. Fr. P made a mistake throwing him under the bus. Goose85 needs to send his kid to school there!

Nukem2
10-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Cottingham is a great guy. His wife is equally great and they have a beautiful family. Very happy for them. Fr. P made a mistake throwing him under the bus. Goose85 needs to send his kid to school there!Fr. P. was not yet in charge when SC was cut loose? More a B of T action...?

TulsaWarrior
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Cottingham appeared to get ambushed by an administrator with and ego that didn't match intelligence.

Gato78
10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Cottingham was dusted when Fr. P. said he wanted it cleaned up before he got to campus. There was an admin who was responsible but it was Fr. P's directive is my understanding. As far as I know, a tremendous injustice.

TheSultan
10-03-2012, 04:01 PM
A couple of questions...

1. Didn't Cottingham get a lot of the blame with regards to Department of Education crime reporting due to his position as Counsel prior to being AD?

2. Did this administrator report to Cottingham, or did he report elsewhere.

Nukem2
10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Cottingham was dusted when Fr. P. said he wanted it cleaned up before he got to campus. There was an admin who was responsible but it was Fr. P's directive is my understanding. As far as I know, a tremendous injustice.
First I've heard that version. Heard it was more of pressure from certain Trustees.

IWB
10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Gato's version is correct.

BLT
10-03-2012, 08:35 PM
The Wild master plan was to have Broeker (when done with graduate school) take over for Steve and Steve take over for Greg. Pilarz wanted his own peeps in there. Mary worked with Pilarz at Scranton, served on the MU review of the AD ordered by Pilarz, who put Larry in place...whom she knew from ND, who took over from Greg....and Leyland from Stanford/Pacific (also on the review committee knew Larry from the Left Coast). Mary was the level of Sarah Bobert at Penn, and next thing she is second in command of a major university. Rubber stamp.

In the end, Pilarz wanted (understandably) his only team in there. He knows politics. That said, honestly, has any one had a positive Midwest experience with any of the new admin? Seems like Eastern Elite meets Milwaukee. Steve served MU with excellence, all behind the scenes.

ziggysfryboy
10-03-2012, 10:46 PM
The Wild master plan was to have Broeker (when done with graduate school) take over for Steve and Steve take over for Greg. Pilarz wanted his own peeps in there. Mary worked with Pilarz at Scranton, served on the MU review of the AD ordered by Pilarz, who put Larry in place...whom she knew from ND, who took over from Greg....and Leyland from Stanford/Pacific (also on the review committee knew Larry from the Left Coast). Mary was the level of Sarah Bobert at Penn, and next thing she is second in command of a major university. Rubber stamp.

In the end, Pilarz wanted (understandably) his only team in there. He knows politics. That said, honestly, has any one had a positive Midwest experience with any of the new admin? Seems like Eastern Elite meets Milwaukee. Steve served MU with excellence, all behind the scenes.

It's not a good thing to know the names of the administrators of a school. President? Yes. AD? Maybe. The rest of them? Not good at all.

MUfan12
10-03-2012, 11:08 PM
It's not a good thing to know the names of the administrators of a school. President? Yes. AD? Maybe. The rest of them? Not good at all.

Bingo. BLT was dead on about the "Eastern Elite" as well.

IWB
10-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Updated: http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?419-Cottingham-announced-as-Colorado-State-s-Senior-Associate-Athletic-Director-CFO

TulsaWarrior
10-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Congrats to Steve Cottingham and thank you for the remarkable past contributions you made to Marquette University. Without his work Marquette would be playing catch up and about 20 years behind the curve.

Nukem2
10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Congrats to Steve Cottingham and thank you for the remarkable past contributions you made to Marquette University. Without his work Marquette would be playing catch up and about 20 years behind the curve.Wholeheartedly agree. MU lost a good man last year. Best wishes for my neighbor in his future endeavors.

TedBaxter
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Question for IWB or anyone else. Did Buzz Williams and/or Dale Layer have any impact on Steve getting the Colorado State position?

Either way, good news for Steve.

IWB
10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't know about Dale Layer.

TulsaWarrior
10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
In the world of college athletics Buzz's opinion carries a lot of weight and that is increasing exponential. I think this should be filed under "a prophet in his own land" category. Buzz has the reputation of a buddying Al McGuire.

TheSultan
10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure how much influence Buzz has there. Their entire athletic department administration was torpedoed last year...and Buzz hasn't been there for 8 years.

TulsaWarrior
10-05-2012, 04:35 PM
With Buzz's influance it doesn't have anything to do with old Colorado State ties. Buzz has spent years networking like no one else. He used social networking before the Internet and has an advanced degree in it. ; - )

Gato78
10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Sultan, Buzz does not burn bridges. I think he still has contacts in the highest levels there. I think Buzz owed Steve a debt of gratitude, since Steve stuck his neck out hiring Buzz. There were safer and more well known coaches who he could have hired but he had a gut feel for Buzz. Wild, Kleihban, Cottingham and Broeker should always be well thought of since they had the foresight to hire Buzz. Cottingham, in particular, the newly hired AD, could have opted for a safer choice so he would never be criticized but had the stones to go with Buzz.

TulsaWarrior
10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Gato, there's a humanity with that group that I genuinely admire. (Wild, Kleihban, Cottingham and Broeker)

TheSultan
10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I didn't say Buzz burned bridges. I just am not sure who is left there that he knew since pretty much the whole place has been replaced.

TulsaWarrior
10-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Ask yourself this question. Why does Tayshawn Taylor's mother respect and have communication with Buzz? Or how about Aaron Durley's mom? Why do AD's from major D1 programs call Buzz asking for hiring advice? I don't think people -- fans and even some at Marquette realize how wired in Buzz has become. He is a phenomenon and the closest thing we have to compare it to is Al McGuire. Mark my words. Ten years from now this guy will be one of the biggest names in business.....right there with Calhoun, Dean Smith and Al.

I just hope Marquette's current administration doesn't blow it.

unclejohn
10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Good for him. He got screwed at Marquette. I do not think people realize how good of a job Steve did as AD at Marquette. Of course, he hired Buzz. He also hired Bond Shamansky, and the volleyball team has improved dramatically. He laid the groundwork for lacrosse, and hired the coaches for both teams. Certainly hope he enjoys much success at CSU.

TheSultan
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Guys...jeez...I'm just saying that CSU's athletic department is made up of a bunch of people who weren't around when Buzz was. Although I am sure that Buzz did lobby for him if he found out about Cottingham's candidacy.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
10-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I just hope Marquette's current administration blows it.

I don't get this at all...did you mean "doesn't blow it"? No matter how much you hate LW and Fr. P, losing Buzz, especially if he's as influential as you indicate, would be a massive, massive blow to Marquette and would likely mean our program isn't nearly as relevant over the next 2-3 decades as it could be. Dislike them all you want, but if Buzz is that valuable, we should all be hoping they don't blow it so he stays here.

TulsaWarrior
10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I do not hate anyone in the current administration. I just think they have not done a good job with PR. They have rough edges that need to be smoothed out and I hope it happens. I've worked as a journalist, in marketing and done public relations for a college. I suspect there has be a PR intervention in the past month. It was just what the doctor ordered. I think things will get better after a ham-handed start.

BLT
10-05-2012, 06:19 PM
CSU has announced plans for a new on campus football stadium. Steve is a builder and a great choice for the job at task. The relatively new university president made this announcement recently, and he was one who had been promoted up within the ranks at CSU.

TheSultan
10-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I do not hate anyone in the current administration. I just think they have not done a good job with PR. They have rough edges that need to be smoothed out and I hope it happens. I've worked as a journalist, in marketing and done public relations for a college. I suspect there has be a PR intervention in the past month. It was just what the doctor ordered. I think things will get better after a ham-handed start.

Hey Tulsa...never knew your background. I do the same thing for a university in Indiana.

And I love the "rough edges" quote.

Phantom Warrior
10-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Marquette's - and Milwaukee's - loss is Colorado State's gain. I wish nothing but the best for Steve and his family.

I do believe in the principle of karma. To those and for those at MU who pulled the rug out from under Steve, just remember: "What goes around has an amazing tendency to also come back around."

Djgoldnboy
10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't know about Dale Layer.

I think I get what you're saying here, if I'm reading it right, good for Buzz for taking care of people who took care of him.

JDubMU
10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I keep seeing this premonition of Buzz coaching at Colorado State in the future. Wouldnt surprise me at all. I hate gut feelings! Talk about what comes around goes around.

IrwinFletcher
10-09-2012, 07:11 PM
I keep seeing this premonition of Buzz coaching at Colorado State in the future. Wouldnt surprise me at all. I hate gut feelings! Talk about what comes around goes around.

Can I assume you are joking? Buzz leaving Marquette to coach at CSU would be a dream come true....for Steve Cottingham. Not sure that is where Buzz would hypothetically end up with the resume he has built.

Loyalty only goes so far.

warriorfan4life
10-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Can I assume you are joking? Buzz leaving Marquette to coach at CSU would be a dream come true....for Steve Cottingham. Not sure that is where Buzz would hypothetically end up with the resume he has built.

Also, CSU just hired an accomplished head coach this past offseason in Larry Eustachy. If Buzz ends up at a past spot, I think it is Texas A&M (it is very hard to coach at this level with something as debilitating as Parkinson's).

JDubMU
10-09-2012, 08:08 PM

Not joking. I could see it happening. No insider knowledge. Just figured if he looked seriously at SMU pretty much any opening concerns me.

warriorfan4life
10-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Not joking. I could see it happening. No insider knowledge. Just figured if he looked seriously at SMU pretty much any opening concerns me.

SMU is in a better conference, offers much more money, and is in a location pretty close to where Buzz grew up (in a growing hotbed of talent).

MUMac
10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
SMU is in a better conference, offers much more money, and is in a location pretty close to where Buzz grew up (in a growing hotbed of talent).

And Buzz coached at CSU and has spoken fondly of CSU and his time there.

warriorfan4life
10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
And Buzz coached at CSU and has spoken fondly of CSU and his time there.

Hey, if Buzz wants to attempt to become a legend in Fort Collins, Colorado, then all power to him. And I mentioned before, their position is currently filled by someone pretty well qualified for the spot.