PDA

View Full Version : Wwas ?

TulsaWarrior
09-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Here's a rhetorical question. What would Al McGuire say about Buzz Williams?

It's a hypothetical question but one worth thinking about. My guess is he would give him a ringing endorsement and say that Buzz, Marquette and Milwaukee were made for each other. Of course Al was an unorthodox guy who didn't fit the cookie cutter button down image some schools want as a coach. That said it worked for Al and Marquette. If the relationship didn't happen Marquette would have a national profile somewhere between St. Nobert's (a find school) and Siena. (another find school)

I think the thing we basketball fans underrate is the tertiary impact of the national sports exposure. Over the years it has meant tens of millions of dollars for Marquette. Money that allowed not only for new buildings of all kinds but pay for professors.

Nukem2
09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Again, not sure the current administration appreciates that....?

TulsaWarrior
09-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Lets channel Al McGuire. What would Al McGuire says about Buzz Williams and Marquette. ; - )

warriorfan4life
09-29-2012, 12:59 PM
It is a completely different time now, for better and worse. Who knows how Al would have done in this crazy information age? I think the current administration wants to win, but win in a clean manner with fewer off the court incidents. I wholeheartedly agree that the current administration has been heavy handed and sometimes overstepped their bounds, but Buzz has not been perfect either and has mostly gotten a free pass from many fans for the team's indiscretions. I maintain hope that everyone can play like adults, work on better communication, and make compromises where needed. I think the Buzz/Marquette relationship is still best for both parties (even if both sides may not want to admit it currently), and it would be best for the program if everyone gets on the same page.

Nukem2
09-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm sure Al would have been very positive about Buzz and his accomplishments. Suspect they would also have been friendly as each was/is somewhat of an off the beaten path personality. Certtainly the national exposure that Al fostered in his time set the pace for subsequent MU coaches ( sans Dukiet ) to maintain that exposure to MU's benefit. The right BB head coach is a must for MU as it would have been somewhere between St. Norbert and Siena, as Tulsa suggests, if not for the BB program and the exposure it has brought to MU. Still a fine school, but......

Phantom Warrior
09-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Al would have said, "Good dancer. Lousy singer."

Seriously, I think Al wold have respected Buzz both as a person and as a coach. Al was a no b.s. guy, and Buzz is the same way. Al would have liked that about him. I don't think Buzz's strong religious personna would have been Al's cup of tea, but I doubt that would have mattered much to Al, if at all.

In some ways the two are/were polar opposites; in other ways they were/are kindred spirits.

I'm hoping that some day 10-20-30 years from now fans will view a statue of Buzz at the other end of the hall from the statue of Al. It could happen if the present MU administration comes to its senses.

Don't Mess With Success!!!!

TulsaWarrior
09-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Great comment Phantom. Al was an underrated businessman who would have put out an off the wall positive comment about Buzz being good for jocks, profs and commerce on Wisconsin Avenue near Gesu. Al would not have promoted mass confusion.