PDA

View Full Version : Best non-conference team on schedule?

MU Viking
09-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Looking at the tough non-con slate, I thought I'd ask on here who people think is the best non-conference team on our schedule. Obviously, this may hinge on who we play in Maui, but it is interesting to look at nonetheless.

Some options...

Ohio State

* OSU loses a monster in Jared Sullinger, but returns one of the best point guards in the nation in Aaron Craft and lots of other talent. Will be a good opponent to start the year against.

Key Losses:
Jared Sullinger, PF, 17.9 ppg, 9.2 rpg
William Buford, G, 14.5 ppg, 5 rpg

Key Returners:
DeShaun Thomas, F, 15.9 ppg, 5.4 rpg
Aaron Craft, G, 8.8 ppg, 4.6 apg
Lenzelle Smith, G, 6.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg
Evan Ravenel, F, 3.4 ppg

Key Newcomer:
Amadeo Della Valle, G

Butler

* Scrappy team that replaces a stalwart in Nored with an huge offensive threat in Rotnei Clark.

Key Losses:
Ronald Nored, 7.8 ppg, 5.2 apg

Key Returners:
Andrew Smith, C, 10.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg
Khyle Marshall, F, 9.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Chrishawn Hopkins, G, 9.1 ppg
Roosevelt Jones, F, 7.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg
Chase Stigall, G, 5.2 ppg

Key Newcomer:
Rotnei Clarke (transfer, Arkansas, 15 ppg)

Florida

* Loads of talent still, despite losing a couple great guards. Gainesville is always a tough road trip.

Key Losses:
Bradley Beal, G, 14.8 ppg, 6.8 rpg
Erving Walker, G, 12.1 ppg, 4.6 apg

Key Returners:
Kenny Boynton, G, 15.9 ppg
Erik Murphy, F-C, 10.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg
Patric Young, F-C, 10.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg
Mike Rosario, G, 6.6 ppg
Will Yuguete, F, 4.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg

Key Newcomer
Braxton Ogbueze, G

Wisconsin

* Always a tough game, the Badgers return much of their roster and some good experience, plus bring in a really talented kid in Sam Dekker. My question with Wisconsin is who is going to play point for them.

Key Losses:
Jordan Taylor, PG, 14.9 ppg, 4.1 apg
Rob Wilson, G-F, 4.0 ppg

Key Returners:
Ryan Evans, 11.0 ppg, 6.8 rpg
Jared Berggren, 10.5 ppg, 4.9 rpg
Josh Gasser, 7.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg
Ben Brust, 7.2 ppg
Mike Brusewitz, 5.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg

Key Newcomer:
Sam Dekker

(I didn't mention North Carolina, Texas or Illinois, which are all other options in Maui, and also LSU, which is a challenge, but I believe still growing into its talent.)

My vote is Florida, both for difficulty of game and strength of team. A road trip in a hostile environment with all that athletic talent is going to make for a tough test for our team. I don't expect to win that one, but it will be interesting if nothing else. I honestly think we have a great shot of winning the other games listed above, even Ohio State, who will be trying to figure out how to play without Sullinger.

My only regret with this schedule is how crummy the bunnies are. Southeastern Louisiana and Colgate (I realize we were assigned these with Maui), UMBC and NC Central are all extreme dogs based on last year (although we thought Norfolk would be a bad opponent for our schedule last year, so we'll see). Green Bay and (to a lesser degree) Savannah State project to be fine opponents.

IWB
09-28-2012, 04:44 PM
I think Florida will be the toughest of the bunch. As good as they were last year, they were pretty young. With another year of experience, they could be a really tough team to beat.

Nukem2
09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I think Florida will be the toughest of the bunch. As good as they were last year, they were pretty young. With another year of experience, they could be a really tough team to beat.
Agree, but glad they don't have Bradley Beal for whom MU had no answer.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Florida looks like the toughest team on paper, but I definitely think Butler will be very, very good. Last year was a transitional year, and their younger players got a lot of experience that will help them this year. Adding a pair of sharpshooters, including Rotnei Clarke, will give them back the weapon they were missing last year. Of all the teams in Maui, they might be the one that scares me most.

BLT
09-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Florida on the road by far. OSU has talent, but they lost a lot too. May take them a while to get a chemistry going. That carrier game will be a battle of the PG's. That will be a great showcase game for Junior to gauge how much he has improved.