PDA

View Full Version : ACC v. Big East football

Goose85
09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Well, at this point, according to CBS sports conference power rankings, The ACC and Big East are tied at 5.
Sure this is just an early look, but it is another example of ESPN and others trying to make it look like the Big East football is a far cry from the ACC, when in reality the two conferences are very similar.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20356872/

TheSultan
09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
They are similar now. But resources are greater in the ACC which should mean they won't be similar forever.

BLT
09-25-2012, 09:30 PM
They are similar now. But resources are greater in the ACC which should mean they won't be similar forever.

Haven't the resources always been greater in the ACC? This has been why BE teams keep jumping to the ACC historically.

TheSultan
09-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Right. And the BE has done a good job with its football product, picking teams that been fairly good recently. The problem is can UCF, Temple, etc. sustain it?

Goose85
09-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Right. And the BE has done a good job with its football product, picking teams that been fairly good recently. The problem is can UCF, Temple, etc. sustain it?

I look at teams like Boise, Houston, UCF, Temple, SMU, Memphis and think how much better will those programs be if they get more than 10 times the TV revenue in the Big East than they have been getting in their previous conference. Right now these teams are lucky to get $1 mil total for all of their sports, not just football. Improved facilities, bigger coaching budgets, bigger recruiting budgets, etc. All a big deal.

With MU, the move to the Big East not only brought more income, the basketball success brought more donors to the sports programs and the overall university in general. Do we have the Al if we are still in CUSA?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-26-2012, 09:06 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens at each of these schools with the larger budgets, it will definitely take some time, but I could see a school like Houston/SMU being pretty good due to location. With that being said I don't think Memphis will bring much in terms of football.

TheSultan
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
I look at teams like Boise, Houston, UCF, Temple, SMU, Memphis and think how much better will those programs be if they get more than 10 times the TV revenue in the Big East than they have been getting in their previous conference. Right now these teams are lucky to get $1 mil total for all of their sports, not just football. Improved facilities, bigger coaching budgets, bigger recruiting budgets, etc. All a big deal.

With MU, the move to the Big East not only brought more income, the basketball success brought more donors to the sports programs and the overall university in general. Do we have the Al if we are still in CUSA?

Well, the fundrasing (and I believe even the construction) for the AL was done when we were in CUSA. So yeah, we would have it...

And your argument makes some sense, although that doesn't address why Big East teams who already are getting decent money are so terrible...or at least below average...at football. (Syracuse, Rutgers, etc.)

TheSultan
09-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Yeah, the McGuire Center opened in Fall 2003. We were still in CUSA then.

Goose85
09-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah, the McGuire Center opened in Fall 2003. We were still in CUSA then.

I was wrong on that, but I still think being in the Big East has helped MU big time, and an increase of at least 10X in just TV money alone (bowl revenue will increase too), will really help the newcomers.

You can have all the money you want, but if there is no support from the administration for a sport, then money doesn't matter. I think schools like Boise, Houston, SMU, Central Florida - who have had some success at times, and have had a committment to football, will be aided greatly by a move to the Big East becuase they will further invest in the programs (Houston is building a new stadium).

BLT
09-26-2012, 09:43 AM

My point was the ACC has always had the funding advantage for football, and they really haven't done a lot with it for the $$ (ROI). In fact, some of the programs have slipped considerably from their BE days. On the other hand, the B1G and PAC12 seem to have brought more parity (interest, competition) in with the larger and equal payouts. Same could be said for the BE, despite all the instability (relative). More headroom to grow for the UCF's and Temples, if, and I say if, the media money is there for them due to a better and more competitive brand, and bringing in more eyeballs for them. The ACC is an Olympic sport conference historically, which has been FSU's and Clemson's issue. Never figured out why football doesn't do well for them...maybe it is the Eastern Seaboard's tastes, unlike the SEC which is hardcore football in mostly rural areas. Maybe football is too Eastern Elite for their tastes?