PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame

IWB
09-25-2012, 01:24 PM
When Notre Dame decided to hitch themselves onto the ACC wagon, you knew there would be some changes, specifically, ending long standing rivalries.

Well, the first domino dropped as Notre Dame opted to cancel their annual football series with Michigan. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8423552/notre-dame-fighting-irish-opts-series-michigan-wolverines) The teams have played 40 times, and in 2007 signed an extension through 2031, but ND used a 3 year opt out to end the series.

No matter what people feel about either school, this game was good for college football. Now just sit back and watch the ND fans explain how this 'just makes sense' and how 'Michigan is unethical' etc etc.

Way to screw up a good thing Notre Dame.

Goose85
09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
I just read that and I am very surprised. That was always a big time TV game as Michigan is one of the top programs in the midwest.

I guess ND is really hitching their wagon to tobacco road.

Nukem2
09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I just read that and I am very surprised. That was always a big time TV game as Michigan is one of the top programs in the midwest.

I guess ND is really hitching their wagon to tobacco road.Yep, that is reality FBOW. Guess the Big 10/12 did not want to do the partial membership thing.

IWB
09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
How about this? Did you read how ND informed Michigan? Well, the out clause stated that you had to inform the opponent 3 games prior, so basically a three year out clause. Well, the two ADs were on the field about an hour before kickoff talking about the impending storms, and what to do about a potential lightning delay. As they were parting, they agreed to stay in touch regarding the weather and Jack Swarbrick pulled out a letter and handed to Dave Brandon and told him what was in it. Brandon figured it might happen, so three more years and then done. When he finally read the letter after the game on the bus trip back, he realized why Swarbrick gave it to him on the field. It was delivered an hour before kickoff, so that game counts as one of the three. He wasn't there to talk about the potential storms, he was there to make damn sure he delivered the letter before kickoff. What a tool!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120925/SPORTS0201/209250404/Michigan-AD-Brandon-gets-sideline-surprise-Notre-Dame-Series-over?odyssey=tab

Nukem2
09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
How about this? Did you read how ND informed Michigan? Well, the out clause stated that you had to inform the opponent 3 games prior, so basically a three year out clause. Well, the two ADs were on the field about an hour before kickoff talking about the impending storms, and what to do about a potential lightning delay. As they were parting, they agreed to stay in touch regarding the weather and Jack Swarbrick pulled out a letter and handed to Dave Brandon and told him what was in it. Brandon figured it might happen, so three more years and then done. When he finally read the letter after the game on the bus trip back, he realized why Swarbrick gave it to him on the field. It was delivered an hour before kickoff, so that game counts as one of the three. He wasn't there to talk about the potential storms, he was there to make damn sure he delivered the letter before kickoff. What a tool!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120925/SPORTS0201/209250404/Michigan-AD-Brandon-gets-sideline-surprise-Notre-Dame-Series-over?odyssey=tabWow, these guys are really going low.

Bocephys
09-25-2012, 04:41 PM

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120925/SPORTS0201/209250404/Michigan-AD-Brandon-gets-sideline-surprise-Notre-Dame-Series-over?odyssey=tab

Ehh, I have nothing against that. He exercised his right within the terms of the contract. If Michigan didn't want to be surprised right before kickoff, then say you have to be informed before the start of the season.

Gato78
09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Notre Dame tradition. Play like Champion Today. Bunch of phony crap.

BLT
09-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, the way Swarbrick forecasts weather, he should have been paying more attention to the conditions. Can't get lower than a South Bend curb, but ND sure finds interesting ways to screw your buddy.

MUMac
09-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Ehh, I have nothing against that. He exercised his right within the terms of the contract. If Michigan didn't want to be surprised right before kickoff, then say you have to be informed before the start of the season.
Yes, he exercised his rights. As for the Ehh, there are right ways to do it and wrong ways to do it. Did ND just realize that evening they had this clause and had to deliver it on the field? Give me a break. The classy thing would have been to handle it prior to that day. During the week would have been acceptable. On the field? Classless.

Nukem2
09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes, he exercised his rights. As for the Ehh, there are right ways to do it and wrong ways to do it. Did ND just realize that evening they had this clause and had to deliver it on the field? Give me a break. The classy thing would have been to handle it prior to that day. During the week would have been acceptable. On the field? Classless.That's my take. A process server would have been classier.......

CaribouJim
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Michigan weighs in:

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/337188-michigan-blame-irish-for-ditching-series-asap?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a6

I think I am in the minority on this board, but I want MU/ND to sill play on a consistent basis - best revenge is to play them and beat them. ND fans seem to want to continue playing MU as well:

http://www.ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=thepit;pid=221913;d=all

Goose85
09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Michigan weighs in:

I think I am in the minority on this board, but I want MU/ND to sill play on a consistent basis - best revenge is to play them and beat them. ND fans seem to want to continue playing MU as well:

I don't want to play ND non conference, and I hope the other Big East teams don't either. Face them in the NCAA tourney, that would be great, but not regular season.

TheSultan
09-26-2012, 10:29 AM
I want MU to play ND at home the years that we don't get UW at home. ND has been a long-time rival and I have always liked the series.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-26-2012, 10:53 AM
ND as a NC opponent would be a draw and a quality opponent every year. If they are willing to alternate home games with our UW schedule, it would be colossally stupid to say no.

CaribouJim
09-26-2012, 11:35 AM
ND as a NC opponent would be a draw and a quality opponent every year. If they are willing to alternate home games with our UW schedule, it would be colossally stupid to say no.

...and I want some geographically desired road trips still on the schedule.

MUMac
09-26-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't want to play ND non conference, and I hope the other Big East teams don't either. Face them in the NCAA tourney, that would be great, but not regular season.

I hope DePaul plays ND every year ... in the CBE.

Nukem2
09-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I want MU to play ND at home the years that we don't get UW at home. ND has been a long-time rival and I have always liked the series.I would second that.

Smee
09-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I think this was handled well. They have a 3 year rolling contract. The guy told him what it was and handed it to him. Yes, they talked about the whether and maybe some other issues. But he did this personally and told him what it was.

In the age when kids break off engagements with texts and emails and people fire long time employees by proxy, I think this was done well.

I think ND made a good decision for their football team and their University. I wish they would have stayed in the BEast, but they didn't.

This does not mean they won't play Michigan. Rather, they simply stopped the 3 year auto-renewal.

I hope they continue to play Michigan. I watch the game in the hope that both teams can lose, but that never happens.

TheSultan
09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Smee, you bring up some good points. The only thing I would have done is called to talk to about it first and then handed him the letter before kickoff. But I never quite thought about it the way you said it...they are simply stopping the auto-renewal, perhaps simply for schedule flexibility. That means that they may simply take 2, 4 or 8 years off, but my guess is that they will play again.

MUMac
09-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Smee, you bring up some good points. The only thing I would have done is called to talk to about it first and then handed him the letter before kickoff. But I never quite thought about it the way you said it...they are simply stopping the auto-renewal, perhaps simply for schedule flexibility. That means that they may simply take 2, 4 or 8 years off, but my guess is that they will play again.

Exactly my point. The actual delivery of the letter on the field would have been fine, if it was communicated in advance. I will not make excuses for bad manners. It was poor form of ND and feeds into those that believe ND's arrogant.

IWB
09-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Not only did he not mention it on the phone or in an e-mail, but when they were talking, he didn't hand it to him until they were parting ways. That is a coward move right there.