PDA

View Full Version : ESPN, the Big XII and the Big East

IWB
09-21-2012, 08:14 PM
How about this one - I have some pretty solid Big XII sources and one came to me with the latest rumor..... ESPN is trying hard to convince the Big XII to take Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida and UConn as it will save ESPN a boatload as they won't have to pay for a Big East contract.

Looks like ESPN way over paid the ACC & Big XII, so now are looking to eliminate a hefty contract.

TheSultan
09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
But ESPN doesn't have the BE contract after this year. How does this help them? The B12 would likely demand more money from them because of the declining marginal value of each of these programs.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

IWB
09-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I was just passing along what I was told.

TulsaWarrior
09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Why am I pulling for the exclusive negotiation period with ESPN to end? I want this to be the end of a monopoly period for ESPN. I want NBC, Fox and CBS sports channels to give them a run. An upstart network would give Marquette and the Big East the royal treatment with promotion and exposure. That's if Marquette administrations are smart enough not to mess with happy.

MUMac
09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
But ESPN doesn't have the BE contract after this year. How does this help them? The B12 would likely demand more money from them because of the declining marginal value of each of these programs.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

I suspect the "leader in sports" feels compelled to keep the Big East over losing them to another network. Thus, having to pay big $ to keep the network. May not make sense to you, but that does not mean it does not make sense.

pbiflyer
09-21-2012, 10:26 PM
I was just passing along what I was told.

I was told that Notre Dame is a fine institution. I don't pass that along. :p
(I really am disliking ESPN more and more).

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-21-2012, 10:41 PM
You would hope by now that the BE would understand that ESPN doesn't have their best interests in mind so they are better suited partnering elsewhere and using ESPN's bid to raise what they can get from someone else

Phantom Warrior
09-21-2012, 11:49 PM
I guess I don't see what the benefit to the Big 12 would be. The league gets two very well-respected national hoops programs in Louisville and UConn, but it also gets two of the weakest programs in the country (among high-major teams) over the past seven years in Rutgers and South Florida.

In terms of football - and I do not follow Big East football at all - I see absolutely no benefit to the Big 12.

Financially, even a bigger, better t.v. contract with ESPN would add little, if anything, to each school's profit margin if four teams are added to split the proceeds.

Logistically, the league would become as spread out - almost - as is the present Big East. Teams in the minor sports would be traveling to Storrs and Orlando.

I can't see any reason the Big 12 - especially Texas - would agree to such a plan.

Still, if true, it shows ESPN true colors.

TulsaWarrior
09-22-2012, 06:48 AM
I don't think the Big 12 wants to split the pie.

MayorBeluga
09-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Realistically, if ESPN and the Big XII(-II) wanted to kill the Big East, they don't need all of UConn, L'ville, USF & Rutgers leaving. The departure of UConn & L'ville would take are of that. USF & Rutgers are quite frankly irrelevant here. We need the first 2 to survive as a viable hybrid conference. We don't need the other 2, although it would be nice if USF left the Sun Dolls behind.

IWB
09-22-2012, 10:47 AM
The Big XII does not want to split the pie, but this does actually make sense for ESPN. They have way overpaid for the contracts that they have out there. This is the ESPN breakout..... (http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/05/10/2012-ncaa-television-revenue-by-conference/)

Big XII - $10.7 per school per year - Total $107 million per year
Big 10 - $8.3 per school per year - Total $100 million per year
ACC - $17.1 per school per year - Total $205 million per year
PAC 12 - $18.8 per school per year - Total $225.6 million per year (some of this is Fox, not sure how much)
SEC second tier $10.7 million per school per year - Total $150 million per year (second tier contract)

As it stands, ESPN has contracts paying $787.6 million PER YEAR!!! That is over paying big time. And now they are going to have to give the ACC more for landing Notre Dame.

And they are going to pay as much as $80 per year just for the Rose Bowl?

Now look at their situation with the Big East - they have to try to sign them. Fact is, they don't want to lose them to another network, they want to control it all. But they can't afford to over pay for another conference, so they have three options... 1) Overpay 2) Lose them to another network 3) Eliminate the conference ..... What is their best option?

TheSultan
09-22-2012, 10:59 AM
It might make sense for ESPN...but they would have to pay the Big 12 to do it...because it makes no sense for the Big 12 to add four teams. In the end, the amount they would have to pay the B12 to make this deal is probably not worth it. Losing Big East football to NBC sports really isn't that big of a deal when compared to that cost IMO.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-22-2012, 11:45 AM
They could kill the big east if they just bid super low. If ESPN comes out and says, "okay Big East, we will give you 5 million per football team, and 2 million per basketball team" then the Big East has to look elsewhere... Are those other networks going to come in at 15 million it they know that the best the Big East is getting elsewhere is 7 million per team?

TheSultan
09-22-2012, 04:43 PM
They could kill the big east if they just bid super low. If ESPN comes out and says, "okay Big East, we will give you 5 million per football team, and 2 million per basketball team" then the Big East has to look elsewhere... Are those other networks going to come in at 15 million it they know that the best the Big East is getting elsewhere is 7 million per team?

It depends how many parties are interested. NBC seems to be...but would Fox if they could get it cheap? CBS?

MU_Iceman
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
It might make sense for ESPN...but they would have to pay the Big 12 to do it...because it makes no sense for the Big 12 to add four teams. In the end, the amount they would have to pay the B12 to make this deal is probably not worth it. Losing Big East football to NBC sports really isn't that big of a deal when compared to that cost IMO.

Not to mention Texas and Oklahoma would NEVER allow it. NEVER.