PDA

View Full Version : What do MU fans and national media have in common?

Gato78
09-15-2012, 12:05 PM
We do not sufficiently appreciate how good the remaining basketball programs in the BIG EAST are historically and currently. I spoke with an MU administrator last night at the B&G banquet. He said he was surprised that the national media and fans are doing so much hand wringing over the loss of Notre Dame, or even West Virginia, Pitt and Syracuse--because there have been more national championships and recent NCAA success in the remaining schools. The conference losses are important but the remaining conference members are head and shoulders ahead of the old CUSA and may still be equal to the ACC in hoops. The argument makes sense. UConn has three titles in the Calhoun era, Louisville has several and we have one. The Iscariot wing of the BIG EAST does not have the same history. In fact, if you take out Duke and NCarolina, and compare the balance of the schools in the new ACC to the remaining schools in the BIG EAST, there is almost no comparison. BIG EAST needs the bottom feeders to get better to help the process. The bottom line is this: we have overreacted to the losses with a sky is falling attitude.

We need to appreciate how all of this landscape will look when Coach K, Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim retire--which is where Syracuse may not have properly considered this long term. We need to consider what we have after the Iscariots have left the conference, remembering Memphis and Temple's additions (Houston has a great history, too) and look at how strong Louisville and UConn have been. If UConn keeps Kevin Ollie, they will be excellent long term since he is an up and comer who can rely on UConn history as well. Even if Pitino retires in the next few years, there is so much money in that program that they will not take a step back, they will pay more money than anyone for a quality coach--hell, the YUM Center was built for Louisville basketball. SMU has some incredible potential if Larry Brown sticks arouns a few years to get it going for Tim Jankovich.

I was a bit of a doom and gloomer, I have to admit. I did appreciate how important Louisville is from a basketball standpoint but the ND loss caused me concern about the future of the conference. However, assuming there is no more movement (unlikely at this point because there is nowhere for Louisville and Cincy and UConn and Memphis to go), we are still in a really good basketball conference which is still equal to the Big Teneleventwelve and the ACC. Note: the sky is not falling.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-15-2012, 12:09 PM
I do agree that what we have left is a pretty good basketball conference. What scares me is the fact that if any of those other conferences come calling any one of our programs will be out the door so fast. Heck Louisville I believe has even said as much that they are open to other options. Let's face it, public perception is very important when it comes to recruiting and TV deals.

Gato78
09-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Louisville and UConn have both said they would not mind going elsewhere but where? Cincy? What scenario allows them to take a step up? ACC defections will be impossible for the next several years with a $50million buy out. Big Tenelventwelve? No. ACC said they are done, emphatically. SEC? No way they split the pie with Louisville Cincy or UConn. Where would they go to get a better deal?

kneelb4zerg
09-15-2012, 02:37 PM
I agree with all this, and people are too quick to disregard the potential of many schools just bc they haven't been great recently--thinking of SH, Prov, SJU, even DePaul.

pbiflyer
09-15-2012, 03:08 PM
I think the question really is will the other schools that have football remain in the BEast.
It's not just that we are unhappy what the BEast is currently constituted, but that it will likely not remain in this condition.

MUMac
09-15-2012, 07:57 PM
To me, losing ND meant losing a natural rival. When anyone thinks of ND, they think football first. When they think of ND basketball, it goes to the upsets - ending UCLA's winning streak, ending MU's home streak ... Basketball has been decent there, but definitely not spectacular. Basketball wise, to me, it was a yawn. But, politically, they do have a seat at the table. That is the real loss to the BE.