PDA

View Full Version : Want a good laugh?

MUBasketball
09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Who writes for the Bleacher Report? This article is so uninformed and ridiculous, it's laughable. I can see some idiots on a message board throwing this idea out there, but a website devoted to sports?

Edit: Didn't notice this was already linked on the Scoop site. Regardless, for those who haven't seen it yet...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1331881-marquette-mens-basketball-why-marquette-must-leave-the-big-east

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-12-2012, 10:53 PM
No way in hell does the Big Ten expand with BBall only schools... Sorry, not going to happen. Realistically if there was a league that we had to look at that we could join you'd have to guess the A-10... Other than that we will likely stay right where we are and play in the league of misfits... It will hurt, but ultimately I think the programs in this league will hover right above the mid majors, and right below the power conferences.

MUBasketball
09-12-2012, 11:02 PM
No way in hell does the Big Ten expand with BBall only schools... Sorry, not going to happen. Realistically if there was a league that we had to look at that we could join you'd have to guess the A-10... Other than that we will likely stay right where we are and play in the league of misfits... It will hurt, but ultimately I think the programs in this league will hover right above the mid majors, and right below the power conferences.

That's what I'm saying....there is a 0% chance of what they suggested in that article happening. Is this guy that oblivious?

There is an interesting Twitter convo going on between Dan Wolken (writer from USA Today) and Kevin McNamara (covers Providence hoops). I haven't read McNamara's article, but sounds like he's ready for the split. Wolken is telling him he's crazy, and the non-football schools need to stay aligned as long as possible with the football programs. Says if the Catholic schools leave, they will be willingly moving to mid-major status. Wolken also says Gonzaga is a national name, moreso than Villanova and almost to the level of Georgetown. Some interesting comments.

warriorfan4life
09-12-2012, 11:22 PM
That's what I'm saying....there is a 0% chance of what they suggested in that article happening. Is this guy that oblivious?

There is an interesting Twitter convo going on between Dan Wolken (writer from USA Today) and Kevin McNamara (covers Providence hoops). I haven't read McNamara's article, but sounds like he's ready for the split. Wolken is telling him he's crazy, and the non-football schools need to stay aligned as long as possible with the football programs. Says if the Catholic schools leave, they will be willingly moving to mid-major status. Wolken also says Gonzaga is a national name, moreso than Villanova and almost to the level of Georgetown. Some interesting comments.

Our only outside hope is we can hitch our wagons to ND on an ACC move as a travel partner. Maryland will never allow Georgetown in the ACC, but Nova and St. John's would likely be ahead of us on the gravy train. Still, Larry better be doing his damnedest behind closed doors to make this scenario feasible.

Phantom Warrior
09-12-2012, 11:58 PM
The ACC will never take St. John's, Big Apple or no Big Apple. St. John's rep academically does not fit the type of image the ACC presidents want to project. Georgetown does, but you may be right that Maryland will never allow that.

Personally, I doubt any of the five other conferences are interested in adding any non-football schools.

MUBasketball
09-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Our only outside hope is we can hitch our wagons to ND on an ACC move as a travel partner. Maryland will never allow Georgetown in the ACC, but Nova and St. John's would likely be ahead of us on the gravy train. Still, Larry better be doing his damnedest behind closed doors to make this scenario feasible.

Larry could be brother's with John Swofford...doesn't matter. MU isn't getting an ACC invite.

Without considering TV dollars, I'd be happy in a non-football league. Adding top A-10 programs to the non-football Big East teams would be a strong hoops league. Of course, the main concerns would be TV $$$ (or lack thereof since football clearly drives everything) and perception. Would the league get the respect it would deserve or be looked at as a JV operation? The A-10 is a really strong hoops league (especially now with Butler & VCU in the fold), but struggles to get any sort of respect nationally. Sure, there are some dogs at the bottom of the standings, but the top teams are really solid.

Hopefully, the waves of conference expansion are done for a while after today's news. The Big East is still a really good hoops league. SMU and Houston is still hard to accept, but hopefully Larry and his staff can turn SMU into at least a respectable program. I have no hope for Houston. Dickey's old. Maligi is apparently a great recruiter but he left to SMU. Their arena is a small, old, dark dungeon with plenty of empty seats during games. Sure, they were good when Guy Lewis was coaching, but they've been irrelevent in hoops for well over 20 years.

Blah..I'm rambling. What a day.

IWB
09-13-2012, 12:15 AM
None of these expansions have ever had anything to do with academic reputation, so consider St. John's as a viable candidate. Who was it, the president of Ohio State who went on and on about the academic prestige of the Big Ten Schools and the AAU membership saying that they could never take schools like Iowa State, Missouri and Kansas State? The jack-wad didn't realize that Iowa State and Missouri were both members of the AAU, and while Kansas State was not, Kansas was.

The only time I ever believed any of that was today when it was mentioned that ND wanted to align with the academic schools of the ACC as opposed to Houston and UCF.

MU_Iceman
09-13-2012, 07:13 AM

Wolken is absolutely 100% correct. If the Catholic schools leave, MU etc will be willingly going to mid major status. Must stay aligned with Louisville, UCONN etc as long as possible.

GOMU1104
09-13-2012, 08:48 AM
I find it funny that people continue to use the word "never" when talking about conference expansion. If we have learned anything, its that anything can happen and we shouldn't write anything off as "never."

If the ACC wants Georgetown, they wont care what Maryland thinks.

Don't link Bleacher Report. Literally anyone can write anything they want for that site...it shouldnt be taken seriously. If you want a good article, with good perpective on where the Big East stands, read Dan Wetzel's. That guy understands it. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--notre-dame-s-move-to-acc-didn-t-make-losers-out-of-big-east--big-ten-and-byu.html

MayorBeluga
09-13-2012, 09:16 AM
I find it funny that people continue to use the word "never" when talking about conference expansion. If we have learned anything, its that anything can happen and we shouldn't write anything off as "never."

If the ACC wants Georgetown, they wont care what Maryland thinks.

Agree about the "never" portion of your post. However, it is the opinion of Hizzoner that if the ACC wants a 16th team for basketball, it will not be G'town since they do not bring anything the ACC does nto already have. St. John's, on the other hand, brings Madison Square Garden. This means the ACC would shoot for hosting the ACC Tournament at MSG. While UNC might object (Duke would love it), think of the attention the Big East gets by being in NYC. The ACC would love that and so, unfortunately, would ESPN.

MU needs to stick as close as possible to G'town, Villanova and St. John's (if possible) for as long as possible.

MUBasketball
09-13-2012, 09:27 AM
MU needs to stick as close as possible to G'town, Villanova and St. John's (if possible) for as long as possible.

Exactly. It was be crushing to MU if any one of these schools gets gobbled up by one of these football leagues. It's slim pickings for conference partners that are good at hoops and don't play football...so to lose one of them would really, really suck.

Goose85
09-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Football is what drives the bus. I'm not sure why any top football playing conference would want to add basketball only schools at this point. Doesn't make financial sense.

Notre Dame was added, and at the same time the exit fee was upped to $50 mil, in an attempt to enhance the exposure of ACC football, by adding 5 non conference games against ND, and more importantly to ensure that if ND ever does play football in a conference that conference will be the ACC.

BLT
09-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Football is what drives the bus. I'm not sure why any top football playing conference would want to add basketball only schools at this point. Doesn't make financial sense.

Notre Dame was added, and at the same time the exit fee was upped to $50 mil, in an attempt to enhance the exposure of ACC football, by adding 5 non conference games against ND, and more importantly to ensure that if ND ever does play football in a conference that conference will be the ACC.

And the ACC used Notre Dame to keep Florida State and Clemson in the conference and raise the exit fees.