PDA

View Full Version : OT - More Trouble at UNC

ge1974
09-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Could this impact the Tar Heels 2009 National Championship?

It appears Tyler hansbrough's divorced mother was hired by UNC as a fund raiser. Well, she went on paid junkets where Tyler and brother Ben played and went along with ex-UNC fundraiser, Matt Kupec on these trips.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/11/3520464/top-unc-fundraiser-resigns-amid.html

Kupec, a quarterback at the school in the late 1970s, resigned this past weekend after an internal investigation showed he and Tyler Hansbrough's mother, who has been divorced from his father, took multiple trips that weren't school-related.

Tami Hansbrough, who earns $95,000 a year from the school, has been placed on administrative leave. She was originally hired in December of 2008 -- which was her son's senior season -- as a fundraiser for the foundation that serves the dental school.

Chancellor Holden Thorp told the newspaper that Tami Hansbrough and Kupec were in a relationship and that they took trips that appear to have included destinations where her other son, former Notre Dame guard Ben Hansbrough, was playing.

Tami Hansbrough also made trips to see Tyler Hansbrough while he was a senior, but Thorp said that those trips were legitimate due to the fact she was also raising money for the university.

Markedman
09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
So it's legal to hire a parent for a job at a school where the kid is on scholarship?

I thought they did away with this kind of thing?

CaribouJim
09-11-2012, 04:02 PM
So it's legal to hire a parent for a job at a school where the kid is on scholarship?

Wasn't Chris Duhon's mom employed by Duke during his tenure there? I remember it being kind of a weird situation.

TheSultan
09-11-2012, 04:34 PM

What's different about this is that she wasn't hired until Tyler's senior year. Ben had already transferred to UND, so I am not sure of why this would inordinately benefit UNC unless this was somehow tied to the fact that Tyler stayed there for his senior year.

But the fact that she was still employed there leads me to believe that she might have actually been at least decent at her job.

IWB
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Of course she would be decent at her job. Who would boosters rather donate to - someone from the office or the star player's mom?

Also, what was her experience? had she done that type of work before or did she come in with no experience and start at $90k+?

Markedman
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Even if she was hired a few years after Tyler was recruited....how could anyone know if a high paying job 2 or 3 years down the road wasn't part of the deal?

I'm not saying it was or wasn't but why alllow this? Are we to believe that she was the best qualified candidate and just happens to be the mom of one of the greatest players in school history?

Clearly this scandal has to do with improper use of expense funds but I just can't believe the NCAA still allows this kind of stuff.

At best it looks shady at worst they found a way to pay off the parent of a big time recruit.

IWB
09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
That is like saying, "Hey - Junior Cadougan's mom is having a tough time making ends meet. Let's give her a $90k job so she can move here to be closer to her son and live a better life"...... in no way should this be allowed.

TheSultan
09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
It depends on what her background was, and if she was hired through a legitimately competitive process. Out and out banning of this kind of stuff is why the NCAA has grown into the byzantine bureaucracy it has.

IWB
09-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Hansbrough was from Missouri, I wonder if they paid her moving expenses.

Funny thing is, I read an article from a North Carolina newspaper explaining all of this, and the article said, "Tyler's parents divorced several years before Tyler ever arrived on North Carolina's campus, so that is a non-issue.

Yet in an old interview says "His parents divorced in '95". His freshman year at UNC was 1995.

2012Warrior
09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
If they were divorced in '95, then that makes sense since his freshman year was 2005.

I honestly don't see the problem with it since it was his senior year. If it was talked about at the time of his recruitment than that's a different story. It's not hard to see why UNC would want her out fund raising. She may have been the best candidate for the job.

ziggysfryboy
09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Where there's smoke, there's mrs t in the sack with the administrator.

I wonder if he called her "psycho t" when they were doin the tar heel two step?

MUMac
09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Reading this article, I cannot see a quid pro quo or any NCAA violation. She moved from Missouri to Mississippi to be near Ben, then moved to Chapel Hill when Ben transferred to ND. That said, she certainly is not portrayed positively with her "marriage breaker" persona.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/11/2334880/uncs-kupec-worked-to-establish.html

Markedman
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
"Hansbrough began the job on Valentine’s Day in 2011."

Most guys would have just given flowers.......

IWB
09-11-2012, 09:06 PM
"Hansbrough began the job on Valentine’s Day in 2011."

"She was originally hired in December of 2008 -- which was her son's senior season -- as a fundraiser for the foundation that serves the dental school."

2011? 2008? More stories that contradict each other.

TheSultan
09-11-2012, 09:34 PM
No they don't. She was hired to work for the dental school in 2008. She was then hired to work for student affairs in 2011. Both jobs as a fundraiser.

IWB
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
It doesn't matter what job she was hired for, it is how they portray it.

So seriously, if Junior Cadougan's mom was suddenly hired to work as a fundraiser for the MU Dental School at $96k per, you think that would be ok? or Vander Blue's mom? Or Chris Otule's mom? Or even DJO's mom? They can't give a kid a freaking t-shirt, but they can hire his mom at almost a $100k?

I remember being out at a bar after an NCAA game where our table was joined by a player's mom. We weren't there long so our bill was pretty small, but she made the waiter break it out into individual bills because she was not allowed to accept as much as a diet coke from an alum or employee, but it would have been ok for a department head of another school to give her for a top dollar job?

TheSultan
09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
It doesn't matter what job she was hired for, it is how they portray it.

So seriously, if Junior Cadougan's mom was suddenly hired to work as a fundraiser for the MU Dental School at $96k per, you think that would be ok? or Vander Blue's mom? Or Chris Otule's mom? Or even DJO's mom? They can't give a kid a freaking t-shirt, but they can hire his mom at almost a $100k?

Yes. If any of their moms were qualified I would have no problem with it. That's the only question I have with Tami Hansbrough...I have no idea what her qualifications were.

You also have to understand that I think the NCAA over-legislates everything, and at some point colleges have to have the internal fortitude to do the "right" thing.

Hamostradamus
09-11-2012, 10:06 PM
at some point colleges have to have the internal fortitude to do the "right" thing.

If this ever happens, I will literally blows chunks. (My dog's name is Chunks). Hell, Harvard's hoops team may have "relaxed" their standards to admit guys who are still smarter than me.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
09-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Yes. If any of their moms were qualified I would have no problem with it. That's the only question I have with Tami Hansbrough...I have no idea what her qualifications were.

You also have to understand that I think the NCAA over-legislates everything, and at some point colleges have to have the internal fortitude to do the "right" thing.

That's the problem, universities have proved time and time again that they won't do the right thing when given the opportunity. There are thousands of examples... Hence over legislating. The real issue I have is not the rules, it's that the rules don't apply to everyone. Kentucky, UNC, and other blue bloods can get away with this stuff because of the eyeballs they bring to television sets. All you need to do is look at the academic scandal at UNC and how that was totally blown over, even though multiple sources have come out saying it happened.

TheSultan
09-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I realize that many schools aren't going to do the right thing. The NCAA legislates in an attempt to get a level playing field. At some point they need to realize that that a 100% level field is never realistic and that schools are going to find ways to do things regardless of the rules.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-12-2012, 08:29 AM
I realize that many schools aren't going to do the right thing. The NCAA legislates in an attempt to get a level playing field. At some point they need to realize that that a 100% level field is never realistic and that schools are going to find ways to do things regardless of the rules.

But you have rules in place for the sake of trying to curb bad behavior. If you're going to throw your hands up and say "they'll find a way to do it anyway", you may as well do away with rules and regulations in the first place and just turn NCAA athletics into baseball where anyone can pay whatever they want.

There are thousands of schools across the country that could hire Tami Hansbrough if she was indeed qualified. I have no problem with her going for those jobs, but because of the potential for abuse, she should absolutely not be able to work at UNC or ND. Not because she can't do the job or isn't qualified, but simply because once you open that door, it's hard to shove the genie back in the bottle once every top-100 recruit's parents are working at the schools their kids played for.

TheSultan
09-12-2012, 08:35 AM
But you have rules in place for the sake of trying to curb bad behavior. If you're going to throw your hands up and say "they'll find a way to do it anyway", you may as well do away with rules and regulations in the first place and just turn NCAA athletics into baseball where anyone can pay whatever they want.

At least that approach is more intellectually honest than the one we have now.

Markedman
09-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Not really NC related but interesting anyway

Neal Nieves ‏@NealNieves
RT @JeffRabjohns: Dan Dakich hinted that Trey Lyles father wanted a job as an assitant at Indiana to secure his son's commitment to IU.

ge1974
09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
We have an assistant job opening.....just kidding.

Anyone recall USC giving Desmond Farmer's brother, Tim a job as the video coordinator years ago?

Markedman
09-14-2012, 03:26 PM
And Kansas hiring Danny Manning's and Mario Chalmer's dads................

IWB
09-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Out played UNC on the Chalmers one. Chalmers' dad grew up in North Carolina and out of nowhere the head job at his old high school opened up. He accepted the job, they were all set to move to North Carolina when Kansas upped the ante and offered him a college job.