PDA

View Full Version : Big East Considers Name Change?

Goose85
09-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Mike and Mike were talking, no joking, about the Big East considering tweaking the conference name and talked about how the conference is national, etc. Also mentioned the Big 10 who had 11 and now has 12.

Always mention travel when talking about the Big East, when Boise and San Diego St are just football. Like there will be no travel for Syracuse, located less than a 2 hour drive from Canada, who is now in a conference with Miami, who is a full 24 hour drive away.

IWB
09-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Tweaking the name would be dumb. Pac 10-12 changed their name and it did them no favors.

Big 10

Big XII

SEC

BIG EAST

Those are brand names. It doesn't matter how many members you have, or where they are located. Take the name Big East out of the equation and you may as well fold up shop as the brand name is just as strong as any others and still carries weight. Changing it will suggest that you are no longer what you once were, and that isn't always a good thing.

Markedman
09-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Agree with IWB 100%.

You change the name and you lose the history.

Nukem2
09-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Agree with IWB 100%.

You change the name and you lose the history.Yep, the brand is important.

Goose85
09-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Keep the name.

If you have two divisions for football, then come up with names for them - East division / West division.

Just make sure it is not something like the Leaders and Legends, especially when a year later some of the leaders and legends coaches are gone due to not being real leaders or legends.

ziggysfryboy
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
What about conference USA? That really describes the geographical reach that the conference now has.

Signed, the Zizzo Group

IWB
09-07-2012, 12:20 PM
You got me again Ziggy

ge1974
09-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Are Syracuse and PITT on the Atlantic Coast? They're both about 8 hours away although their home states barely border the Atlantic Ocean (not including Long Island). How about Colorado and Utah being in the Pacific Athletic Conference? Are Texas A&M and Missouri really in the southeast? Big 10 has twelve teams and the BIG 12 has ten teams. The knucklhead fans who complain about the Big East name are the pot calling the kettle black.

I like the idea above about naming divisions in the Big East for football. The Big Ten has Legends and Leaders (should be Pedophlie and Tatoo divisions). Perhaps the Big East can come up with generic names (eg. American and National). They should not change the Big East brand as there is too much glorius history attached to it for basketball.

MayorBeluga
09-07-2012, 01:29 PM
And then there's teh Atlantic 10, which has what, 15 teams right now? One of which is west of the Mississippi (which does flow to the Caribbean which connecrts to the Atlantic, so maybe...)

WarriorNich
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Football division names for BE:

East Division
Far East Division

While I'm at it, here are my suggests for renaming the B1G divisions:

The Ohio State Division
The Other One

Goose85
09-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Football division names for BE:

East Division
Far East Division

While I'm at it, here are my suggests for renaming the B1G divisions:

The Ohio State Division
The Other One

LOL - that is great on both fronts.

Markedman
09-08-2012, 11:34 AM
No worries...not happening

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8351277/big-east-change-name-brand-equity-cited

pbiflyer
09-08-2012, 11:44 AM
And then there's teh Atlantic 10, which has what, 15 teams right now? One of which is west of the Mississippi (which does flow to the Caribbean which connecrts to the Atlantic, so maybe...)

Well, if you want to be picky, it connects to the Gulf of Mexico, which connects to the Caribbean, which connects to the Atlantic. :p

MayorBeluga
09-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Well, if you want to be picky, it connects to the Gulf of Mexico, which connects to the Caribbean, which connects to the Atlantic. :p

Damn fact checkers, always pointing out when a glorious politician makes a trifling misstatement.

pbiflyer
09-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Damn fact checkers, always pointing out when a glorious politician makes a trifling misstatement.

LOL! I'd still vote for you.