PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 TV deal

Goose85
09-07-2012, 08:44 AM
The Big 12, a conference that was thought to be imploding about a year or so ago, will be getting $2.6 bil over 13 years. That is at least $20 mil per team annually and doesn't included NCAA hoops money, college bowl game money, etc.

Why would the Big 12 ever consider adding any other schools (unless the school is ND or maybe FSU)? Seems to me they have a pretty good gig with sharing the pot 10 ways.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20026352/bowlsby-big-12-tv-contracts-signed-soon-champions-bowl-bids-received

TheSultan
09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
One reason they could do it is if the conference has a right to renegotiate with additions like FSU and Notre Dame. Then if they add one, they might as well add another to get a B12 Championship Game. Since Fox paid just over $20M for the B10 Championship Game, those numbers might work.

A lot is going to depend on how satisfied FSU is with the ACC.

Goose85
09-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I think the ACC has a pretty big buyout to leave the conference.
I understand the conference may have a chance to renegotiate, but which two schools would encourage the networks to give the Big 12 over $240 mil per year instead of the current $200 mil per year they are currently getting?

IWB
09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Unless you somehow land two monsters like Notre Dame and maybe FSU, it wouldn't make sense.

Right now each school is getting $20 million. Add two teams and now split the pie into $16.6 million. Each school giving up $3.4 million to get a conference championship? You need $40.8 million for it to make sense. Will the network give them an extra $40+ million for one game? Doubtful.

MUMac
09-07-2012, 11:13 AM
The problem with FSU is that everyone remembers the FSU of 90's/early '00's when Bowden had his best teams. They are not the same program or draw right now. They blame much of that on the ACC (their decision to join), but the latter years with Bowden showed a decline. They are ranked highly this year, but do they have the staying power and are they back?

IWB
09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I agree, that is why I said 'maybe FSU'. They are not what they used to be, and it baffles me why programs like Pitt & Syracuse don't see that.

Nice to see Cincy stick it to Pitt last night. Though I would rather they not let Pitt score a TD with 30 seconds left, it is nice to see the Iscariot wing suffer again.

It was all about football, and the ACC bound members of the Iscariot wing will be 0-4 by tomorrow afternoon.

Goose85
09-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Frist, I absolutely loved Cincy crushing Pitt last night. Syracuse will get a can opened up on them tomorrow by USC.
Next up for Pitt is Va Tech. Syracuse, after USC, gets Stony Brook so they might get a win.
Pitt plays Syracuse on a Friday night - yep, televised by ESPN.

Florida State may not be a perennial national champion contender, but they are a good program, and still have juice. How would they be if they weren't in the ACC - who knows. Key thing that makes FSU a school of interest is FSU is in Florida. That is huge from a potential TV angle, and also from a recruiting angle. SEC seems to have dominated the state of Florida recruiting for awhile.