PDA

View Full Version : Initial thoughts on schedule

MayorBeluga
09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Now that the Big East has finally released the schedule (http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090512aaa.html), Hizzoner has a few initial thoughts.

1. When MU meets UConn, a head coach will again be missing. This time, it's MU. Strange how many games against MU Calhoun has missed. Kind of amusing, in a bizarre way, that Buzz will miss a game against UConn of all teams.
2. Five of the first 7 Big East games are at home. Tough to play 7 road games in February and March.
3. MU playing on New Year's Day again? Sigh. At least this time we get to sleep in (hat tip - Fr. Dan's Camera). That said, it's an incredibly stupid move by MU to agree to this game for 2 reasons: (a) New Year's Day night is usually a slow night everywhere. It will be hard to motivate the non-fanatic fan to come out that night, which brings us to (b) if the Rodents are in the Rose Bowl, attendance will really suck as even some MU fans follow the government school football team.
4. There are seveal quick turn-arounds. Starting the season with a Friday - Sunday - Tuesday will be tough. Besides Maui (3 games in 3 days) we also have three Saturday - Monday sets, all of which involve travel.
5. We face not only the team that knocked us out of the NCAA last season but have a chance to face the team that did so the prior year as well (UNC in Maui).
6. Six non-conference games away from the Bradley Center - seems like the most in many years. Granted, only 2 are true road games, but unfortunately college basketball is evolving into neutral site games.
7. When was the last time we got the government school, DePaul and Notre Dame at home in the same season?
8. Getting both schools from the Judas wing of the Big East at home is awesome.
9. Dick Pitino still sucks.
10. Will the band play Country Roads when we host West Virginia? Oh, wait...

CaribouJim
09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm bummed about the Monday Judas game though - wish it was a Saturday game - don't know if my Judas Syracuse cousin will be able to make the trip - was looking forward to the Fightin' 218 shaming her and I was wanting to get rip roarin' drunk for that one.

IWB
09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
What surprises me about the UConn game on New Year's Day is the fact that it is on ESPNU. I would think playing that day would be because of big TV cash, but ESPNU?

Nukem2
09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
What surprises me about the UConn game on New Year's Day is the fact that it is on ESPNU. I would think playing that day would be because of big TV cash, but ESPNU?
FB one would guess...?

warriorfan4life
09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
My very early prediction is 23-8 overall, 11-2 non-conference (lose one in Maui, and then at Florida), 12-6 in the Big East.

IWB
09-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Nuke - I know it is a big football day, that is why I think you wouldn't burn a big game unless it was big tv money

bleedbluegold03
09-05-2012, 11:07 PM
could have done MUCH worse than Seton Hall, Pittsburgh and GTown as our mirror games. Also the fact that most of our tough-but-beatable opponents are at home (ND, Cuse, GTown) and I think we could sneak into the top 4 again this year. Time will tell

TheSultan
09-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Last year's game was on ESPNU as well...at least according to the MUwiki.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/2011

IWB
09-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes, it was, wonder what the viewing audience was.

Goose85
09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Being a college football fan, I'd prefer we wouldn't play home games on Jan 1st, or even play at all on that day.

ge1974
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM
The college football game going on during the MU-UCONN game will the Orange Bowl (BCS/ACC Champion vs BCS at-large); after the completion of the Rose Bowl on ESPN.

IrwinFletcher
09-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I disagree. I think it is awesome that we play New Years Day. It is our "Bowl Game". It is the only college hoops game on that day and now that it is at night, i think there will be more interest. If it is a bad matchup in the Organge Bowl, there will be a lot of eyes on this game. Sadly, our coach will be missing it and that might shine a negative light, but overall the exposure will be fantastic.