PDA

View Full Version : MU OT: Chicago MU fans, are you hungry?

IWB
09-04-2012, 01:44 PM
MU Off Topic: Chicago Marquette fans, are you hungry? Sobleman considering expanding to Chicago. (http://marquettetribune.org/2012/09/04/news/sobelman-seeing-campus-success-looks-to-chicago-expansion-sh1-an2-ap3/)

warriorfan4life
09-04-2012, 01:52 PM
MU Off Topic: Chicago Marquette fans, are you hungry? Sobleman considering expanding to Chicago. (http://marquettetribune.org/2012/09/04/news/sobelman-seeing-campus-success-looks-to-chicago-expansion-sh1-an2-ap3/)

In general, I like Chicago burger places better then Milwaukee, but Sobelman's and spin-off Oscar's are both top notch and could compete with any of the Chicago/suburban Chicago places.

CaribouJim
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
So is it a pub on campus location or just the burgers? Will it be a Pub in Chicago as well? Can't have too many pubs.

I was grateful for the opening of Culver's in Berwyn, down the street from Fitzgerald's for you music fans and a few blocks from where I live in Oak Park. Love that butter.

Djgoldnboy
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Culvers new "Pub Burger" is well worth the trip. Glad they put one in out in the burbs of New Lenox where I live. A little slice of WI, close to home.

IWB
09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
The one on campus is set up just like Angelo's was - small bar with a bunch of tables and booths.

BLT
09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
The one on campus is set up like Angelo's was - small bar with a bunch of tables and booths.

And my initials are still carved in the men's room wall all these years later. :D

Chicago needs a MU only bar to call home all by itself...cannot wait. Maybe MU will bring back the Tip Off Luncheon. Worst. Idea. Ever to kill that.

Edited to quote IWB

warriorfan4life
09-04-2012, 07:04 PM
And my initials are still carved in the men's room wall all these years later. :D

Chicago needs a MU only bar to call home all by itself...cannot wait. Maybe MU will bring back the Tip Off Luncheon. Worst. Idea. Ever to kill that.

All right, who wants to start donating to me to help make that happen? Seriously, that would be awesome, though Schoolyard is a very good bi-school bar.

CaribouJim
09-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Edited to quote IWB

Totally agree - love Buzz, but that move was a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned to the Chicago season ticket holders who make that long round trip trek often in rush hour and/or crappy winter conditions - can't imagine the Chicago Alumni Association and the University at large was pleased with that as well - they both put on their respective pitches on behalf of their respective interests. Good chance to interact with LW as well. I remember going to TC's first one - he was kind of taken aback by the attendance and vibe.

Who can we put pressure on to bring that back? Really a huge, huge oversight IMO.

bleedbluegold03
09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
the food is great and I would love an MU bar in Chicago.

That being said, I wish it was owned by a nicer guy. I approached Dave the start of my senior year with a proposal to help him market to the campus more. I tried explaining that while just being there would get a lot of sales, an on campus BAR could generate a whole new pot of revenue. Unfortunately he turned down my FREE offer, stating he's never had to advertise ever and could open up anywhere in the midwest if he wanted to.

"there’s probably a huge Sobelman’s Pub & Grill following in Chicago,” Sobelman said. “It would just be natural to go there."

just as arrogant as he sounds