PDA

View Full Version : Big East Looking for 14th Member

Goose85
08-31-2012, 09:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8319551/big-east-looking-add-14th-football-member

Aresco makes it sound like they are looking at independents.

"I'm not talking about which ones. There are some obvious candidates, but we're not talking about raiding anyone and there are some independents that might potentially want to be a member."

My guess is BYU for football only. Makes sense for both. Without a conference BYU will be shut out of post season bowls.

I also like this comment.

"You have a pretty huge divide now between our conference and anything below us, and almost no gap between us and what they are calling the Big Five," Aresco said. "We say it's the Big Six. I'm not going to yield on that at all."

A top notch tv deal will greatly enhance the athletics of all Big East teams.
If the Big East can get an ACC like deal, it will be interesting to see what schools like Boise State and Houston, who have very good football programs, would be able to do with almost 8 or 10 times the football revenue.

IWB
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
[URL]"You have a pretty huge divide now between our conference and anything below us, and almost no gap between us and what they are calling the Big Five," Aresco said. "We say it's the Big Six. I'm not going to yield on that at all."

Great post Goo, got to love the new commish's feelings on the subject. I assume the ones calling it the Big 5 are those in the ACC, Big 12 and ESPN.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
08-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Adding BYU would be a real good get, it's important that these schools taking a step up in revenue also up their quality in football. Getting to the same level as the ACC shouldn't be that hard.