PDA

View Full Version : 3 days and counting

Goose85
08-29-2012, 12:14 PM
ESPN's exclusive 60 day window to negotiate a new TV deal with the Big East begins this Saturday, Sept 1st. The next few months will go a long way to the Big East future.

My expecations for this next TV deal are completely different than they were not that long ago. I really think that this will turn out well for the Big East, like at least ACC deal well.

My guesses.

Football - NBC, who already deals with ND. Combine with ND for bowl ties too (better bowl options for Big East with ND included, gives ND needed bowl access - benefits both).

Basketball - I think basketball (including the Big East tourney) will be packaged differently which may result in ESPN and NBC each getting pieces of Big East basketball.

Questions -
Will ESPN drive up football price to NBC so as to hamper NBC's ability to buy all basketball product?
Will NBC overpay for more football product like Fox did when they first jumped into NFL football?
Will the Big East and their new negotiating team get an ACC level deal?

BLT
08-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I think that the Big East will get the best deal possible, and it will be more multi media driven. I don't think it will be as good as the ACC's, but it will be more front loaded with less options which may make it equal.

Also, remember the BE basketball deal ends a year earlier than football. If ESPN loses basketball, look for both parties to want to exit the football deal early. In the end, I think that NBC/Comcast wins out, and if they do, I don't see a split inventory deal with ESPN/ABC as NBC/Comcast has the outlets to carry all. CBS Sports connection could be interesting. Fox is a non-starter in my mind as they are tied up with other conferences..