PDA

View Full Version : So...what does Buzz do?

MUBasketball
08-27-2012, 12:41 AM
It's late August and there is an assistant coach position open. He has three options:

1) Promote someone on his staff to an assistant position (for this season only), then hire a new assistant after the season
2) Promote someone on his staff to an assistant position (permanent)
3) Hire a new assistant before this season

Which will it be? I don't really see option 1 or 2 being a good idea. Can Jerry fill-in for the season? He's got a lot of years under his belt...especially a lot of head coaching experience. That would be a great asset for the staff. But, is that a solid recruiting staff? That seems like a considerable drop-off after having Benford and Collins. I think another highly regarded recruiting assistant is needed. But, is that possible in late August?

MU Viking
08-27-2012, 08:43 AM
I hear Bruce Pearl wants a job in basketball. (Just kidding.) :cool:

Nukem2
08-27-2012, 09:01 AM
It's late August and there is an assistant coach position open. He has three options:

1) Promote someone on his staff to an assistant position (for this season only), then hire a new assistant after the season
2) Promote someone on his staff to an assistant position (permanent)
3) Hire a new assistant before this season

Which will it be? I don't really see option 1 or 2 being a good idea. Can Jerry fill-in for the season? He's got a lot of years under his belt...especially a lot of head coaching experience. That would be a great asset for the staff. But, is that a solid recruiting staff? That seems like a considerable drop-off after having Benford and Collins. I think another highly regarded recruiting assistant is needed. But, is that possible in late August?As I noted in another thread, Buzz obviously has a number of names who applied for Chew's current slot just 2 months ago. Could one or some of these be available at this late date? Who knows. Wainwright...don't know as I would prefer a younger (more "energetic"..?) guy. The DOB/administrative slot seems right for JW at this juncture in his life...? In the end, thats Buzz's decision.

IWB
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
As I noted in another thread, Buzz does not have a position to fill yet. For the time being, Jerry Wainright will slide into that role and I am pretty sure Jerry Wainright will be the one coaching when Buzz sits his game out.

Nukem2
08-27-2012, 09:13 AM
As I noted in another thread, Buzz does not have a position to fill yet. For the time being, Jerry Wainright will slide into that role and I am pretty sure Jerry Wainright will be the one coaching when Buzz sits his game out.
I'm confused here..how can Buzz not have a position to fill...?

IWB
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't know that he will be allowed to fill it yet. That may change, but that is what I had heard.

Nukem2
08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't know that he will be allowed to fill it yet. That may change, but that is what I had heard.interesting.

Phantom Warrior
08-27-2012, 10:05 AM
If he "won't be allowed" to fill the position, that raises some very, very interesting questions. It also means that the program will be at a disadvantage. If one adheres to the logic that every position is there for a reason and that each individual who fills each position contributes to the success of the program, then leaving a coaching slot vacant would logically lead to a less-than-desirable situation.

If true, then I find this more disturbing/troubling than Buzz's one-game suspension.

MUMac
08-27-2012, 10:07 AM
If he "won't be allowed" to fill the position, that raises some very, very interesting questions. It also means that the program will be at a disadvantage. If one adheres to the logic that every position is there for a reason and that each individual who fills each position contributes to the success of the program, then leaving a coaching slot vacant would logically lead to a less-than-desirable situation.

If true, then I find this more disturbing/troubling than Buzz's one-game suspension.

I agree. It does give me pause.

dw3dw3dw3
08-27-2012, 11:47 AM
I agree. It does give me pause.

Well it sounds like Jerry is just going to take the spot then for the season, along with Brad and Isaac. There will be an open DBO, that you wouldn't want to fill for one year while Jerry temporarily moves up to asst coach (if he plans on moving back down). So I know we want to jump off the cliff and assume the worst, but it doesn't seem like that big of an issue in the short term except from the recruiting standpoint of things. Does Brad have any solid recruiting credentials or is Isaac going to be the only one out there this fall?

IWB
08-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Brad can recruit. He coached for 20 years before he ever arrived at MU.

MUBasketball
08-27-2012, 11:53 AM
but it doesn't seem like that big of an issue in the short term except from the recruiting standpoint of things.

Which is the most important thing...so it is a big issue.

dw3dw3dw3
08-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Brad can recruit. He coached for 20 years before he ever arrived at MU.

I guess I'm just wondering what it takes to be a good or hot recruiter vs an average recruiter and what difference that makes at the end of the day when Buzz is the one running the show. When Coach Chew came aboard all the news seemed to be centered on what a huge coup he was for our recruiting. Haven't heard much about Coach Autry in that regard since he was promoted.

JohnnyRev
08-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I must admit I'm getting frustrated at the "hermeneutics of suspicion" being voiced by many posters on several Marquette boards. I can make an educated guess (no more than that but something that makes sense to me and is innocent of any nasty intentions toward Buzz and/or the program). The university is now engaged in an employee dispute with a fired employee - it seems to make perfect legal sense to me not to replace that employee until the dispute is settled (presumably in court or in an out of court settlement). That seems a perfectly sensible reason not to hire yet for that position.

Nukem2
08-27-2012, 12:45 PM
I must admit I'm getting frustrated at the "hermeneutics of suspicion" being voiced by many posters on several Marquette boards. I can make an educated guess (no more than that but something that makes sense to me and is innocent of any nasty intentions toward Buzz and/or the program). The university is now engaged in an employee dispute with a fired employee - it seems to make perfect legal sense to me not to replace that employee until the dispute is settled (presumably in court or in an out of court settlement). That seems a perfectly sensible reason not to hire yet for that position.That should not stop MU from filling the position. As your state, there will probably be a settlement of some kind ( which may have already happened...? ). Its just a (potential) legal matter now. Monarch's not going to get his job back.

kneelb4zerg
08-27-2012, 01:10 PM
That should not stop MU from filling the position. As your state, there will probably be a settlement of some kind ( which may have already happened...? ). Its just a (potential) legal matter now. Monarch's not going to get his job back.

Wouldn't be so sure. It's unlikely, but not inconceivable.

Nukem2
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Wouldn't be so sure. It's unlikely, but not inconceivable.Highly unlikely.

Gato78
08-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Monarch has no legal grounds to stand on. No employment contract can survive bald faced lies to a superior.

Markedman
08-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Is it possible that Wainwright was hired to be the replacement from the start but they just couldn't call him an assistant coach until the news broke on Monarch?

IWB
08-28-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't believe so. Wainwright was announced as having been hired June 18th, but Buzz had him on the line for a few weeks before that, so I do think he was brought in for the position he had been in, not the one he may fill now.