PDA

View Full Version : Monarch Fired!

Phantom Warrior
08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Ouch! Dumb move to lie to the administration.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-24-2012, 09:23 PM
I have a feeling we will hear very little about this publicly beyond the articles already out. I'm also guessing Jerry Wainright will slide into the assistant slot to replace him, at least in the short term.

Gato78
08-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Monarch deserves this. He comitted a violation and lied to his bosses. Put his best friend, Buzz, in a bad position, and, as a result, cost Buzz a game in the BIG EAST. I have never been a Monarch fan and I am not surprised he was fired. He did not have a lot of good will around the University--several people around MU who have had dealings with him found him to be boorish. He did not have a lot of good will going in. I am not sure about the politics of why Buzz was pulled for one game but that, to me, seems harsh. Yet, we cannot have recruiting violations, period. Harsh treatment has to be expeccted. Not sure how this all fits in with the Larry vs Buzz narrative. It could be a Buzz imposed and agreed type of penalty or it could be Larry imposed or Fr. P imposed. No matter what, Monarch knew the program was under a microscope when this happened. He knew Buzz was under pressure when this happened and apparently did not care. No matter what, this is all, 100% on Monarch no matter whether you agree or disagree with the penalties imposed.

MUAlphaBangura
08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I have a feeling we will hear very little about this publicly beyond the articles already out. I'm also guessing Jerry Wainright will slide into the assistant slot to replace him, at least in the short term.

Does anybody know when Wainright was officially hired? Just wondering out loud if Buzz knew about this situation and was covering his bases with the Wainright hire. This violation must have happened before the bbq as Monarch was nowhere to be seen.

IWB
08-24-2012, 09:41 PM
I mentioned over two months ago that there still may be some changes with the staff, this is exactly what I was referring to. I believe the violation was 3 months ago, and Monarch has been gone for two months, just had to go through the legal crap and the investigation.

MUWhistler
08-24-2012, 11:14 PM
This makes sense as to why they publicly announced their secondary recruiting violation. If it wasn't connected to firing someone, they probably wouldn't have done it. Yet, now that they are firing someone for it, it made sense to get something about the violation out in the public.

IWB
08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
This makes sense as to why they publicly announced their secondary recruiting violation. If it wasn't connected to firing someone, they probably wouldn't have done it. Yet, now that they are firing someone for it, it made sense to get something about the violation out in the public.

Correct. And they did not publicly announce a secondary violation, because they do not make they determination, they just said 'violation'.

TulsaWarrior
08-25-2012, 04:22 AM
This comes under the general caption of ^&%! happens. What would have been a minor issue was made worse because Monarch repeatedly lied about it. Somewhat of human nature but not acceptable with the current climate in college athletics. I think Marquette did the right thing in hiring an outside independent experienced law firm to investigate. That sent an important signal to the NCAA about the school's commitment to following the rules. Buzz needed to be kept out of the review for his own good until the report was finished. Faced with the facts I don't think Marquette's administration and Coach Williams had a choice if the principles voiced by the institution and coach are to have meaning. As to the relationship between Buzz and Larry -- I have no clue but suspect for it to be successful it will be based on the maturity of both men. Adults and friends have to make tough decisions and talk candidly to each other. If that happens both will be better people for it.

As to the other part of the story Scott Monarch is facing a personal and professional crisis few of us have ever faced. He has to understand how he brought this on himself. Financially he will probably never be able to recover. Like him or not, boorish behavior or not, lets offer a prayer for him and his family.

ydouask23
08-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I still think a lot of this goes back to Larry Williams. He makes mountains out of molehills. Suspending Buzz Williams- that came from the inside right? Really? I know Buzz is responsibile for everything that goes on inside his program but this just smells of another Larry vs. Buzz showdown.

IrwinFletcher
08-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I still think a lot of this goes back to Larry Williams. He makes mountains out of molehills. Suspending Buzz Williams- that came from the inside right? Really? I know Buzz is responsibile for everything that goes on inside his program but this just smells of another Larry vs. Buzz showdown.

Is it possible that Buzz imposed the penalty on himself? Is it possible he punished himself to show his players that he holds himself accountable just like he holds the players accountable?

Maybe there is a rift between LW and Buzz. Does anyone know FOR SURE that there was/is a rift between the two (and maybe 3 with Fr Pilarz) or is it mere speculation.

Buzz's guy made a mistake. Buzz has to pay. Period.

kneelb4zerg
08-25-2012, 08:43 AM
I think it's possible but probably something we will never know for sure. I certainly hope it was some kind of mutual decision.

Is it possible that Buzz imposed the penalty on himself? Is it possible he punished himself to show his players that he holds himself accountable just like he holds the players accountable?

Maybe there is a rift between LW and Buzz. Does anyone know FOR SURE that there was/is a rift between the two (and maybe 3 with Fr Pilarz) or is it mere speculation.

Buzz's guy made a mistake. Buzz has to pay. Period.

Nukem2
08-25-2012, 09:06 AM
This comes under the general caption of ^&%! happens. What would have been a minor issue was made worse because Monarch repeatedly lied about it. Somewhat of human nature but not acceptable with the current climate in college athletics. I think Marquette did the right thing in hiring an outside independent experienced law firm to investigate. That sent an important signal to the NCAA about the school's commitment to following the rules. Buzz needed to be kept out of the review for his own good until the report was finished. Faced with the facts I don't think Marquette's administration and Coach Williams had a choice if the principles voiced by the institution and coach are to have meaning. As to the relationship between Buzz and Larry -- I have no clue but suspect for it to be successful it will be based on the maturity of both men. Adults and friends have to make tough decisions and talk candidly to each other. If that happens both will be better people for it.

As to the other part of the story Scott Monarch is facing a personal and professional crisis few of us have ever faced. He has to understand how he brought this on himself. Financially he will probably never be able to recover. Like him or not, boorish behavior or not, lets offer a prayer for him and his family.Yes, it is going to ber rough for Monarch and his family as he'll never recover financially and its going to be hard to get a job in his profession. Sad story.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, it is going to ber rough for Monarch and his family as he'll never recover financially and its going to be hard to get a job in his profession. Sad story.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm guessing he'll get a good reference from Buzz, though likely not a public acknowledgment. Buzz has enough connections that he can probably get an AC position somewhere mid-major. The violation itself wasn't that big a deal, and as long as he can convince a staff he's learned from his mistake, I'd guess he'll get another shot. For a Horizon, MWC, C-USA, or similar level program, I imagine an assistant with Monarch's experience would be a big benefit, even with a slightly checkered past.