PDA

View Full Version : Majerus stepping down

GOMU1104
08-24-2012, 05:09 PM
For health reasons. Goodman tweeted heart issues.

TedBaxter
08-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Time for Rick to hang up the whistle, take care of himself and try to enjoy retirement.

warriorfan4life
08-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Time for Rick to hang up the whistle, take care of himself and try to enjoy retirement.

Rick did an excellent job as an announcer and I would welcome him back in the booth if his health allows.

ge1974
08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
ESPN says that its only for one season at this time and that Jim Crews is taking over for 2012-13.

MUMac
08-24-2012, 07:17 PM
ESPN says that its only for one season at this time and that Jim Crews is taking over for 2012-13.

What else would they say? SLU is under the 8 ball to hire a permanent replacement for Majerus at this time of the year. Crews is an interim, but I would be shocked to see Majerus back on the sidelines. This allows some continuity in the program right now and a full, thorough search after the season.

ge1974
08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Good luck to St. Louis and their "continuity". It'll be impossible to successfully recruit kids who don't know who the head coach is going to be in the future for SLU.

TheSultan
08-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Rick steps down...MU has a spot on its bench...coincidence?? :D

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-24-2012, 09:24 PM
That would be interesting. Don't see it happening, but that would be interesting :cool:

MUMac
08-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Good luck to St. Louis and their "continuity". It'll be impossible to successfully recruit kids who don't know who the head coach is going to be in the future for SLU.

It is a horrible situation for SLU. Their only hope is to salvage something. Rick's timing cripples SLU even moreso than it did when he left MU. MU had time to find a coach, SLU does not.

Either way, I do not expect Rick back on the SLU sidelines in a year.

ydouask23
08-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Sad news to hear. He just has to lose a little weight and get his health in order. He is a hell of a coach and its clear that SLU has turned the corner. Bad timing.

JohnnyRev
08-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Guys, I am pretty sure that this has nothing to do with timing - that Rick's heart condition is very serious. We need to pray for his health.

MUMac
08-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Guys, I am pretty sure that this has nothing to do with timing - that Rick's heart condition is very serious. We need to pray for his health.

I believe you are reading the "timing" comments incorrectly. I do not question Rick's situation at all or the timing of it from his perspective. It is the timing of it from SLU's perspective and how they deal with it. SLU is starting school, the team will be starting to work and thus this is bad timing for them - nothing more than that. Rick could not help nor predict the timing of this.

I am in full agreement that we need to pray for Rick's health. That was a question when he took the SLU job. I hope he stays away from the stress and lives a longer and productive life.