PDA

View Full Version : My 10 Most Memorable MU Games

Phantom Warrior
08-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm limiting the list to games I watched, either in person or on t.v. There are 10 that really stand out for me, six of which, unfortunately, were losses but were still terrific games to watch. These are in no particular order.

MU lost a double-overtime game to ND on national t.v. The two best guards in the country - the Dream for MU and Austin Carr for ND - put on quite a show. Both were unstoppable, and they took turns providing highlight-reel plays. That may be the best game I've ever watched. I wish I could find a tape of that game.

MU beat South Carolina on national t.v. by one or two. The game included the infamous brawl between Lacky and Tom Rikker. Not only an entertaining game, but definitely the most intesne game I've ever watched.

MU beating Kentucky in the NCAA when Tony Miller single-handedly broke the Wildcats' press. Just a great win by a group that played its heart out for 40 minutes.

The Wade-led upset of Kentucky on the way to the Final Four. Probably the best all-around individual game I've ever seen an MU player have, yet it was a solid team effort as a lot of players stepped up.

Obviously, the win over UNC in '77. The car and mouse game between Dean Smith and Al in the second half was classic.

The loss to ND at the Arena that broke our 83(?) game home winning streak is indelibly etched in my brain. I can still see Dwight Clay's shot from the corner go in just before the buzzer.

The loss to Stanford in the NCAA when Lopez hit that jump hook from the base line that hit the front of the rim, then the backboard, then fell through. Heartbreak City, but a great game.

The loss to Ohio State in the Regionals due to the bogus foul calls on Meminger. That team could have played for the national championship; it was that good.

The loss to Purdue in the Regionals on Mount's last second jumper. TW 32 replayed that game a year or two ago, and it was really tough to relive that ending.

The loss to IU when the Hoosiers were ranked #1 and MU was ranked #2. Benson, May, Buckner, Abernathy, and someone else for IU and Walton, Butch, Bo, Earl, and Jerome for MU.

I'm sure there are others I can't recall at this moment that might replace one or more in the list above, but at this minute these are the 10 that stand out.