PDA

View Full Version : Coaches on Coaches

Markedman
08-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Who would you choose to lead your program?

Not surprising that Izzo, Self and K were the top 3.

What will be surprising to Badger fans? Crean got votes and Bo got zero.......

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19894629/critical-coaches-what-coach-would-you-choose-to-run-your-program

Nukem2
08-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Bo is a coach unique to WI. Not so sure he would fit well in most scenarios. Going to be interesting to see what happens to Wisky's BB program when Bo retires.

Markedman
08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I just found it funny that Crean got more respect(votes) from other coaches then Bo did. I mean Crean is the anti-christ right?

You would think that at least one coach would have voted for Bo considering he is so popular and respected among his peers.......

TheSultan
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Bo is a coach unique to WI. Not so sure he would fit well in most scenarios. Going to be interesting to see what happens to Wisky's BB program when Bo retires.

They will hire Greg Gard and it really won't work out well. (See Soderburg, Brad) There will be a significant number of people who would rather have Tony Bennett however.

Goose85
08-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Not sure Bennett would go to Wisconsin.

Nukem2
08-24-2012, 12:49 PM
They will hire Greg Gard and it really won't work out well. (See Soderburg, Brad) There will be a significant number of people who would rather have Tony Bennett however.

Yep, Gard will not work out well. As Goose posted, Bennett might not want WI.

TheSultan
08-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Oh you are correct. I think many will want him there...but that the feeling won't be reciprocated.

CaribouJim
08-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Who would you choose to lead your program?

Not surprising that Izzo, Self and K were the top 3.

What will be surprising to Badger fans? Crean got votes and Bo got zero.......

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19894629/critical-coaches-what-coach-would-you-choose-to-run-your-program

Was surprised as to the high % that Izzo got though and equally surprised how little 'ol Roy Williams got - would have thought he would have gotten higher than Cal as I figured more coaches would be pissed at Cal for his assumed recruiting transgressions.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-24-2012, 03:01 PM

I think they'll go all out for Bennett. Hometown kid, shown he can have success, and plays at the right pace. But I agree that I'm not sure he goes to Wisconsin. Too much to live up to, and not nearly as high a ceiling as he has even at Virginia.

Markedman
08-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't think that is the reason he won't go to UW. I think some bad blood exists between UW and the Bennett family.....

I think they'll go all out for Bennett. Hometown kid, shown he can have success, and plays at the right pace. But I agree that I'm not sure he goes to Wisconsin. Too much to live up to, and not nearly as high a ceiling as he has even at Virginia.

Goose85
08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Didn't UW fire his sister? Not sure everything was peachy with his dad either.

MUMac
08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I don't think that is the reason he won't go to UW. I think some bad blood exists between UW and the Bennett family.....

Bingo. More than just bad blood.

TheSultan
08-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I kind of know both sides to that story, and there is enough blame to go around. Bennett left them at a time that they had no choice but to hire Soderberg. (And I actually was told that was going to happen about nine months before it did. And if *I* knew about it, I'm sure UW officials knew about it too.) But Bennett, more that Bo, is who is really responsible for the resurgence of UW basketball. And the fact that this isn't recognized by UW is kind of sad.

MUMac
08-24-2012, 05:34 PM
The story goes well before that. The reason why Bennett left is the heart of the issues. It was not the stress of the job, that was the convenient reason.

Bennett told Richter before the Final 4 that he was planning on quitting after the Final 4. Richter talked him into staying. He firmly believed his last game was going to be at the Final 4. I was told that by the person who Bennett told that to - right after the Final 4. He did not quit, as some believe, to get Soderberg the job or to force UW into that. Some of his reasoning is still involved with UW ... and a large reason why Tony will not consider UW.

Tony remaining at UW after Soderberg was out was a matter of convenience, so to say, for both parties.