PDA

View Full Version : Butler-Marquette, Memphis-VCU among best early-season matchups per SI column

CaribouJim
08-20-2012, 09:25 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_glockner/08/17/NCAA-basketball-early-tournaments/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf3_a2

Matchup to watch: Butler-Marquette. I can't believe this was set up as a quarterfinal and also the first game of the opening quadruple header (mid-afternoon Eastern Time tip). The Bulldogs and Golden Eagles could emerge as the two best teams from this field. Butler's major weakness from last season -- perimeter shooting -- should be remedied in a big way by Arkansas transfer Rotnei Clarke and freshman Kellen Dunham. Marquette still has a lot of talent left from its second straight Sweet 16 team, even after the departures of Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder. It's also a terrific style contrast of tempos and approaches, and a matchup of two excellent head coaches. Additionally, with Butler moving to the Atlantic 10 this season, this is a big game for nonconference schedule strength and possible NCAA at-large consideration.

What was the reason(s) the GAS lost all its glamour? It's next to nothing now - sad. I went to the last two and I'd go back in an instant - Alaska is awesome and the vibe to that tourney was unique.

Nukem2
08-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I was surprised at the Butler-MU 1st round matchup as well.

IWB
08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
What was the reason(s) the GAS lost all its glamour? It's next to nothing now - sad. I went to the last two and I'd go back in an instant - Alaska is awesome and the vibe to that tourney was unique.

I agree Caribou, as I have always been a fan of tradition, but Anchorage just isn't a sexy place to be anymore. It used to be the Maui Classic and the Greater Alaskan Shootout. Now Hawaii has two tourneys....there are tourneys in Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, 2 in Florida, 4 in New York, San Diego, Puerto Vallarta Mexico, South Padre, Cancun, South Carolina......

Warm weather, tropical islands or big city..... vs Alaska.

BLT
08-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I was talking to Cottingham when he was still here...he said that the GAS lost its ESPN deal and that was a death knell for the past five years. Saw that CBS Sports just picked it up, though.