PDA

View Full Version : Bucks v. Hawks

Goose85
06-21-2021, 09:32 AM
I am still surprised the Bucks survived that game 7 and only allowed the Nets to score 2 in O.T.

Now on to the Hawks.

It may be my being overconfident after beating the Nets, but I think the Bucks win in 5 games.
Home court advantage - win two at home, one on the road, and one back home.

mufan2003
06-21-2021, 10:03 AM
This is getting pretty exciting Goose. I don't ever like feeling overly confident as a fan, like Game 5 against Brooklyn, but I am confident the Bucks are the better team. I agree that the Bucks can win in 5. Atlanta is playing well and appear to have good chemistry right now. Some nagging injuries to Bogdanovic and Young. They lost De'Andre Hunter for the rest of the playoffs. Huerter has looked really good. Regardless of how many games, just win the series.

Watching the Atlanta/Philly game last night, I was amazed at how irrelevant Ben Simmons had become. He looked like Michael Carter-Williams out there. Stephen A Smith and Philly fans are already calling for him to be traded. Philly did not look good.

I just think the Bucks are in such a good place being able to switch at nearly every position defensively. They won't face a scorer as lethal as Durant outside of Kawhi Leonard (injuries of his own) and Devin Booker.......but those two are 6'8" and 6'5" respectively. Durant was just so unique with his height, wingspan and high release on his jumper. The Bucks don't have a weak defender in their starting 5. Lopez can handle Capela who camps out around the rim looking for lobs.

Nice to have home-court advantage as well, Wednesday and Friday night are some good nights to have playoff basketball at the Fiserv Forum. Jared Greenberg (NBA Host) said he has not been in a louder venue than Fiserv Forum this postseason. It feels like this is the Bucks time......and their core is still relatively young with Giannis (26), Middleton (29) and Holiday (31). Middleton has a player option in 2023, Jrue in 2024 and Giannis in 2025. This group can do something special.

mufan2003
06-21-2021, 10:25 AM
https://www.nba.com/news/series-preview-bucks-breakthrough-up-against-ahead-of-schedule-hawks

Goose85
06-21-2021, 10:30 AM
Not sure who would want Simmons at his pay rate and number of years.
Would have to be even better than the deal OKC got with Kemba Walker. Take on his salary and we will give you a first rounder for your trouble.

Going to be a fun week in Milwaukee, at least I hope.

Goose85
06-21-2021, 10:37 AM
https://www.nba.com/news/series-preview-bucks-breakthrough-up-against-ahead-of-schedule-hawks

Article written by MU Grad Steve Aschburner.

MUfan12
06-21-2021, 12:24 PM
Huerter
Young
Gallinari
Bogdanovic
Lou Will

All guys that can really hurt you from three. That makes me very nervous. The Bucks have really struggled defensively against teams like this. Their shooting is going to have to be a lot better than it was against Brooklyn.

As much as I want to think ATL turns into a pumpkin and the Bucks win in 5, I think it goes the distance. And who knows at that point.

mufan2003
06-22-2021, 10:55 AM
No doubt Atlanta is talented. Maybe more well-rounded than Brooklyn trended in the last series. I think Atlanta is similar in some ways to Phoenix last season. Ascending late in the season, especially after Nate McMillan took over. Phoenix entered the bubble out of playoff contention but went 8-0 (including a win against the Lakers) and just missed the playoff round. I don't think Atlanta has an inside presence like Phoenix has (Ayton), but good, young talent.

People tend to forget Tre Young was a 34% shooter from beyond the arc in the regular season and for his career. He has a tendency to be hot or cold. He was cold in Game 7 against Philly. The Bucks also have a 1st Team All-NBA Defensive player they can put on him with size (Holiday). I have no trepidation about the other matchups......Lopez on Capela, Giannis on Collins, Tucker on Bogdanovic, Middleton on Huerter. If Portis gets more run this series, he can matchup against Gallinari who doesn't have much off the dribble.

The Bucks had a mantra after they went up 2-0 on Miami....."Don't play with your food." They weren't going to Miami looking for a split. Several guys have had disappointing exits deep in the playoffs; Giannis, Middleton and Lopez 2 years ago when they were up 2-0 on Toronto in the ECF (along with Miami last season). PJ Tucker in Houston when they were up 3-2 on Golden State in the WCF. Missed opportunities like that make you appreciate the moment and not take it for granted.

Goose85
06-22-2021, 11:44 AM
No doubt Atlanta is talented. Maybe more well-rounded than Brooklyn trended in the last series. I think Atlanta is similar in some ways to Phoenix last season. Ascending late in the season, especially after Nate McMillan took over. Phoenix entered the bubble out of playoff contention but went 8-0 (including a win against the Lakers) and just missed the playoff round. I don't think Atlanta has an inside presence like Phoenix has (Ayton), but good, young talent.

People tend to forget Tre Young was a 34% shooter from beyond the arc in the regular season and for his career. He has a tendency to be hot or cold. He was cold in Game 7 against Philly. The Bucks also have a 1st Team All-NBA Defensive player they can put on him with size (Holiday). I have no trepidation about the other matchups......Lopez on Capela, Giannis on Collins, Tucker on Bogdanovic, Middleton on Huerter. If Portis gets more run this series, he can matchup against Gallinari who doesn't have much off the dribble.

The Bucks had a mantra after they went up 2-0 on Miami....."Don't play with your food." They weren't going to Miami looking for a split. Several guys have had disappointing exits deep in the playoffs; Giannis, Middleton and Lopez 2 years ago when they were up 2-0 on Toronto in the ECF (along with Miami last season). PJ Tucker in Houston when they were up 3-2 on Golden State in the WCF. Missed opportunities like that make you appreciate the moment and not take it for granted.

Hopefully Holiday can wear down Young, I think he can. Not sure if Young will get the calls, but if they allow some physical play, not sure if Young will be able to do much with Holiday going to the hoop.
As you said, Young can be hot and cold. One thing is for sure, he will keep shooting, and when the D is up on him, he just shoots deeper 3's.

I think the advantage we have is we can match up well when defending the Hawk players, but not sure they matchup as well defending our players.

mufan2003
06-23-2021, 10:31 AM
*Cam Reddish upgraded to questionable (out since February with achilles procedure)

*Bogdanovic dealing with a sore right knee, could be downgraded closer to tip

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-injury-news-projected-starting-lineups-bogdan-bogdanovic-cam-reddish-kevin-huerter-eastern-conference-finals-june-23

MUfan12
06-23-2021, 10:19 PM
Hooooo boy. Never can make it easy.

Goose85
06-24-2021, 08:08 AM
We sure gave that game away. Middleton couldn't hit and we allowed Young to have his best night ever.

After watching the game I think we still win this thing, but the Hawks might get one more. This could have been a wake up call. Brooklyn series is over, no break, take care of business.

MUfan12
06-24-2021, 08:43 AM
My hope- This is like G1 against Boston two years ago, or Orlando last year.
My fear- This turns into the Heat series last year.

They had a real chance to put that thing away early. Up 9, then the ill-fated Teague minutes got Atlanta going.

I just don't know how Bud could watch film on Atlanta and not throw more size at the ball screens, to try and change the angles. If Capela rolls make him throw the pass over a big. It was far too easy for Young to turn the corner basically untouched.

Goose85
06-24-2021, 08:59 AM
My hope- This is like G1 against Boston two years ago, or Orlando last year.
My fear- This turns into the Heat series last year.

They had a real chance to put that thing away early. Up 9, then the ill-fated Teague minutes got Atlanta going.

I just don't know how Bud could watch film on Atlanta and not throw more size at the ball screens, to try and change the angles. If Capela rolls make him throw the pass over a big. It was far too easy for Young to turn the corner basically untouched.

Don't think we will see Teague again in this series. Portis played well, and I think he gets more minutes.

My guess is they challenge Young more, as late in the game with Giannis on him (after a screen) Young would settle for a long three. When Young goes to the hoop, our help side rotations need to be quicker so Lopez can advance out on Young as opposed to staying with his man in the paint.

Young had a career game. Does he have 4 of those games in him? He might based on them getting this far. Bucks need to keep the foot on the gas when they get a lead, and not coast as they did last night. Same intensity as games 3-7 in the Nets series.

mufan2003
06-24-2021, 11:03 AM
I really don't want to see another 7-game, stress-filled series like the one against Brooklyn. Entertaining if you are impartial, but excruciating as a Bucks fan. I also hope this is like the ECSF 2 years ago against Boston; Boston wins game 1 at the Fiserv Forum and then Milwaukee wins 4 straight. Atlanta is good, this is not going to be as simple as going through the motions.

Multiple times last night where I felt like the Bucks were ready to put Atlanta away. They let them hang around and it cost them. My thoughts:

*What is it with Game 1's in the playoffs and 3-point shooting? The Bucks shot 38% as a team during the regular season.....but 16% (5-31) against Miami, 20% (6-30) against Brooklyn and 22% against Atlanta (8-36) in Game 1s. Like previous series, hopefully this trends upwards.

*Jrue Holiday finally has a breakout game offensively (33pts and 10 assists, 5-12 beyond the arc) but Middleton goes 0-9 from three and 6-23 overall. Need the Big 3 to be more consistent game-to-game. If all three are playing well, the opponent is in trouble.

*Trae Young does most of his damage with the floater and if the defense over-commits, with lobs to Capela or Collins. Young was 4-13 from beyond the arc, and yet he is good enough of a shooter to keep the defense honest. The Bucks need to figure this out defensively.

* I liked how Portis contributed, would like to see Forbes get going a bit and Connaughton to hit like he did in the latter part of the Brooklyn series.

Goose85
06-25-2021, 12:51 PM
I think the Bucks win tonight by double digits.

Go Bucks!

mufan2003
06-27-2021, 01:24 PM
I think the Bucks win tonight by double digits.

Go Bucks!

Nice call Goose. 34 points is certainly double digits!

A noticeable difference in sustained intensity between games 1 and 2. Charles Barkley had a good line, saying the Bucks played game 1 like it was game 52 of the regular season.

Improved shooting as well (52% on FGs and 36.6% from three [15-41]). Need to bring that same intensity and defense per possession to Atlanta.

Goose85
06-28-2021, 09:14 AM
That was a tough win yesterday. Hawks were hitting their 3's early, but we hung in there and tied it up by half. Hopefully Middleton will get on a roll and have a lot of confidence heading into game 4. We win it all if we have the second half Middleton for the rest of the playoffs.

Another double digit win for the Bucks.

We need to come out with a lot of intensity from the start on Tuesday, with no Giannis shooting 3 pointers.

mufan2003
06-28-2021, 11:53 AM
Obviously a great performance by Middleton (especially in the 4th) and Giannis. Glad to see Middleton get recognized on a national stage.

Portis was fantastic off the bench (has been all series). Jrue struggled offensively (although he had 12 assists) but played his typical great defense. Jrue was great in games 1 and 2, while Middleton was relatively quiet. Still waiting for a playoff game where all 3 are "on" offensively.......hopefully Game 4.

I hope the Bucks aren't content with a split. Keep the pressure on, get Game 4 with a chance to then close the series back in Milwaukee in Game 5.

MUfan12
06-28-2021, 01:28 PM
Pat gave them some excellent minutes as well.

That felt like Atlanta's best punch. Bogdan was moving better and making shots, Gallo same. Trae's injury tilted things, but I do wonder if McMillan regrets not staying with Lou down the stretch.

I really hope the Bucks don't let up. There's blood in the water now.

mufan2003
06-29-2021, 09:14 PM
Sometimes seems like the Bucks just can't handle good fortune. No Trae Young and they come out playing uninspired basketball.

An opportunity to go to the NBA Finals with wins tonight and Thursday......I don't get it.

MUfan12
06-29-2021, 09:30 PM
Ball is life. And life is pain.

mufansince72
06-30-2021, 12:07 AM
Sucks, fear that Giannis will miss most of next season too.

mufan2003
06-30-2021, 10:31 AM
Sucks, fear that Giannis will miss most of next season too.

MRI today, nobody knows.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/giannis-antetokounmpo-injury-update-bucks-star-to-have-mri-after-hyperextending-knee-per-report/

The Bucks have been masterful at making things more difficult than they need to be. Similar to the Brooklyn series......when Game 5 seemed gift-wrapped (no Kyrie) and they blew a 17-point 2nd-half lead. Eliminated the opportunity to win the series at home in Game 6. Playing stupid.

Same scenario last night, Trae Young ruled out before tip and the Bucks come out playing like it is Game 53 of the regular season (great Charles Barkley quote). It was almost as if they felt sorry for Atlanta. "Inside the NBA" was all over it........Bucks don't have the killer instinct when they have a team down. Very talented but they almost play better after being embarrassed in a previous game. The franchise hasn't made the NBA Finals in 47 years and you come out playing like it is just another game.

Bucks are out of excuses (no Giannis for the rest of the series would be convenient to let everyone off the hook). No silver lining if you lose this series.

Goose85
06-30-2021, 10:50 AM
Thankfully the Brewers had a good game going so I didn't have to watch the entire Bucks game.

Should have really pounded them last night, but hard to do that to any team that is shooting lights out. Still, this should have been close to a series sweep.

Giannis or no Giannis, the Bucks are still good enough to win tomorrow night.

mufan2003
06-30-2021, 04:01 PM
Woj with an update.....no structural damage, ligaments are sound. Timetable to return unclear.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1410330506487492612?s=19

mufan2003
06-30-2021, 04:15 PM
https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1410342092291903500?s=19

Goose85
06-30-2021, 05:42 PM
Woj with an update.....no structural damage, ligaments are sound. Timetable to return unclear.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1410330506487492612?s=19

Ok, so the Bucks really got some good news. Now let's take care of Atlanta and get to the finals.
They won without Young, we can win even if Giannis misses a game or two.

mufan2003
07-01-2021, 10:21 PM
Needed that win! Great defensive pressure from the start and very good, smart offense. Lopez beating Atlanta up inside.

Holiday (25 pts and 13 assists) and Middleton (26 pts and 13 rebs) showed why they were the 2 most talented players on the floor. Portis fantastic again.

1 more win for an NBA Finals appearance. Popular opinion will be Atlanta wins at home in Game 6. Can the Bucks surprise and close out in 6? NBA Finals begin Thursday, July 8. Could Giannis eventually come back? Regardless, just find a way to get there.

Goose85
07-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Great win. Does Young play in game 6?

Hope we can take care of business on Sat, but think we may end up with a Game 7 back here in MKE.

mufan2003
07-02-2021, 10:48 AM
Great win. Does Young play in game 6?

Hope we can take care of business on Sat, but think we may end up with a Game 7 back here in MKE.

He didn't look like he could push off of his foot during warmups. Only one more day of rest, he certainly won't be 100% if he does go.

I hope the Bucks can implement the same style of play in game 6.......that was a thorough dismantling last night from the tip.

Goose85
07-02-2021, 12:10 PM
If it is another no Young / no Giannis game, I like our chances.

mufansince72
07-03-2021, 11:46 PM
Bucks in six baby!

mufan2003
07-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Bucks in six baby!

So awesome! An enjoyable game to watch as well. Not done yet!

Goose85
07-06-2021, 09:01 AM
Great to be in the finals. Love it when the national pundits have to talk about your team.