PDA

View Full Version : Bucks vs Nets

mufan2003
06-02-2021, 10:38 AM
https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1399951675222339585

Tip for Game 1 has been set for Saturday at 6:30pm (TNT).

I like the narrative of "who can give Brooklyn the toughest challenge?" Brooklyn is the favorite to come out of East. Durant, Harden and Irving (Joe Harris' shooting) can be an offensive juggernaut, but Brooklyn was 22nd in defensive rating. I like how Milwaukee was Top 10, usually top 5, in nearly every major statistical category. Will the Bucks prove to be more well-rounded of a team offensively, defensively and on the boards?

mufan2003
06-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Great quote from PJ Tucker after the Bucks went up 3-0 on Miami. This was from the Athletic, great coverage for anyone that doesn't subscribe. 2 quotes from a lengthy article. Talks about the new mentality of the team and raves about Jrue Holiday. Holiday, Portis and Tucker have added a toughness. Forbes has been a great addition as well.

“We dogs,” Tucker said. “That’s all we talk about. That’s all I ever talk about. We gotta be dogs. People’s perceptions of us and what people think in the past, we’re erasing all of that. We’re coming out every night focused, not shying away from moments. I wasn’t here. Jrue wasn’t here. Bobby, we got a bunch of new guys in addition to everybody that’s been here. We’re just bringing that mentality and that’s what it’s about. Carrying that mentality every game, every possession, every day.”

“Jrue is the most underrated player in the league, by far,” Tucker said. “People don’t understand how good he is. I didn’t understand how good he was until I played with him. He gets it. And he is the quietest dog you’ve ever played with in your life. He doesn’t say anything, but you know he’s there.”

Goose85
06-02-2021, 12:54 PM
Like Tucker, I never really watched Holiday until he was a Buck so I didn't realize how good he is. If we had him a couple years ago we don't lose to Toronto and we would have won the NBA title.

I was looking at some stats, and noticed the Nets are not a great defensive rebounding team, while conversely, the Bucks are a good offensive rebounding team. We hit the offensive glass in the Miami series and it paid dividends. I think our hitting the offensive glass, and getting second chance scoring opportunities, may be the difference.

The Nets have the three big scores, and as the old saying goes, "You can't stop them, you can only contain them."
I think our defense lines up pretty well with their three big scorers giving the Bucks a better chance than most to "contain" them.

mufan2003
06-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Like Tucker, I never really watched Holiday until he was a Buck so I didn't realize how good he is. If we had him a couple years ago we don't lose to Toronto and we would have won the NBA title.

I was looking at some stats, and noticed the Nets are not a great defensive rebounding team, while conversely, the Bucks are a good offensive rebounding team. We hit the offensive glass in the Miami series and it paid dividends. I think our hitting the offensive glass, and getting second chance scoring opportunities, may be the difference.

The Nets have the three big scores, and as the old saying goes, "You can't stop them, you can only contain them."
I think our defense lines up pretty well with their three big scorers giving the Bucks a better chance than most to "contain" them.

Great point Goose. Coach Bud didn't want his team hitting the offensive boards the past 2 seasons, instead preferred getting back and having a set defense.

He has adjusted this year, and guys like DiVincenzo (before injury) and Bobby Portis have been a major factor on the offensive glass.

mufan2003
06-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Like the series against Miami, the Bucks had another poor shooting night in a Game 1 after a week off. 6-30 (20%) beyond the arc for a team that shot 38% during the regular season.

Middleton was 6-23 and 0-5 from beyond the arc. The Bucks just looked flat and couldn't get away with it against a much better team. Blake Griffin's performance was surprising as well.

No Harden again for Game 2, Bucks have to play better and need to get back to shooting their typical %.

Goose85
06-07-2021, 12:59 PM
If we shoot the way we are capable, and not even like we did in that one crazy game against Miami, but just normal shooting, we get the game tonight.

mufan2003
06-07-2021, 07:45 PM
Just awful....wow.

Goose85
06-08-2021, 08:29 AM
That was hard to watch. Was excited to watch the game, and ended up channel surfing and not watching most of the 2nd half.

Need to come back in game 3 or I think Bud is going to be in some trouble trying to keep his job.

mufan2003
06-08-2021, 11:02 AM
That was hard to watch. Was excited to watch the game, and ended up channel surfing and not watching most of the 2nd half.

Need to come back in game 3 or I think Bud is going to be in some trouble trying to keep his job.

Yeah, it would be one thing to lose the series, another if it continues like this. Durant and Irving are not Durant, Curry and Thompson.

Some of this looks mental, not one to analyze body language, but they just appeared to be in a daze.

mufan2003
06-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Pessimistic Outlook:

The Bucks have great regular seasons, look great in the first round of the playoffs, then the bottom drops out in the Conference Semi-Finals or Conference Finals. Bud gets fired along with Horst (Ownership looks to bring in Masai Ujiri from Toronto to manage personnel and bring in a new coach).

Optimistic Outlook:

2019 ECF. Toronto went down 0-2 to Milwaukee, were down 64-39 at halftime of Game 2 and ended up losing 125-103. It appeared Toronto was overmatched and that the Bucks were headed to the NBA Finals. Toronto goes on to win 4 straight. Can the Bucks turn it around?

*I suspect most would believe the former is how it will play out. I also put a lot of this on Giannis, Middleton and to a lesser extent Holiday. They look slow to react, unsure what they want to do offensively, incompetent defensively and appear to be playing without a purpose. It is not as if this group has no playoff experience.

MUfan12
06-08-2021, 12:27 PM
I'll be honest, the scenario you described is a win-win in my eyes. If this leads to them actually investing into the front office and upgrading the HC spot I'm good with it.

mufan2003
06-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Game 3 felt like a rock fight, but glad they won. Some thoughts:

*Bucks won despite continued poor shooting. 37.8% (34-90) on FGs and 19.4% (6-31) beyond the arc. I don't attribute much of it to the Nets' defense. Just missing some good looks. The Bucks were #1 in PPG and Top 5 in Offensive Efficiency. I hope they can get more from Holiday, Lopez, Forbes and Portis.

*Giannis and Middleton scored 79% of the team's points. A playoff record by any tandem.

*Middleton was clutch and fantastic offensively. I don't get the criticism. I get more frustrated with Giannis than Middleton. Would love to see Holiday with a breakout game.

*Lopez was big on defense playing "centerfield" and on the pick-and-roll.....finished with 6 blocks. Keep it up, they can't match his size.

*Bucks defense was very good down the stretch. Durant is sooo good, but they kept everyone else in check. Irving is good, but Durant is upper echelon with LeBron and Kawhi. I think the Bucks are capable of winning with defense and offense whereas the Nets have to win with offense. Bucks offense (as a team) has not really shown up yet.

*Gut feel is that the Nets still win the series. Need to win Sunday.

Goose85
06-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Game 3 felt like a rock fight, but glad they won. Some thoughts:

*Bucks won despite continued poor shooting. 37.8% (34-90) on FGs and 19.4% (6-31) beyond the arc. I don't attribute much of it to the Nets' defense. Just missing some good looks. The Bucks were #1 in PPG and Top 5 in Offensive Efficiency. I hope they can get more from Holiday, Lopez, Forbes and Portis.

*Giannis and Middleton scored 79% of the team's points. A playoff record by any tandem.

*Middleton was clutch and fantastic offensively. I don't get the criticism. I get more frustrated with Giannis than Middleton. Would love to see Holiday with a breakout game.

*Lopez was big on defense playing "centerfield" and on the pick-and-roll.....finished with 6 blocks. Keep it up, they can't match his size.

*Bucks defense was very good down the stretch. Durant is sooo good, but they kept everyone else in check. Irving is good, but Durant is upper echelon with LeBron and Kawhi. I think the Bucks are capable of winning with defense and offense whereas the Nets have to win with offense. Bucks offense (as a team) has not really shown up yet.

*Gut feel is that the Nets still win the series. Need to win Sunday.

I think Holiday worked incredibly hard on Irving yesterday, and they may have had him play less of an offensive roll because of his energy on D.

KD will get his, limit the rest.

Giannis needs to stop the 3 point, and get points in the paint. After the first quarter, too much isolation basketball. Need to move the ball. Giannis coming through the lane from the backside is unstoppable, just need to convince him or show him first quarter tape.

Will be a fun series if we can take game 4 on Sunday.

mufan2003
06-13-2021, 11:40 PM
I think Holiday worked incredibly hard on Irving yesterday, and they may have had him play less of an offensive roll because of his energy on D.

KD will get his, limit the rest.

Giannis needs to stop the 3 point, and get points in the paint. After the first quarter, too much isolation basketball. Need to move the ball. Giannis coming through the lane from the backside is unstoppable, just need to convince him or show him first quarter tape.

Will be a fun series if we can take game 4 on Sunday.

It is a series again. I was pretty pessimistic after game 2, but anything can happen now.

I never want to see great players suffer an injury, and Irving's injury did not look good. I suffered a broken fibula and high ankle sprain when my foot did something similar. Lucky to have just sprained it. There were 2 days off before games 3 and 4, whereas there is only 1 day off the rest of the way. Hard to believe Irving will be good to go Tuesday, or anywhere near 100%.

Brooklyn only had their Big 3 available in 8 of the 72 games this season. So in a way, a reflection of what they were for most of the year. Being available and durable is important.

It has been nice to see the Bucks playing great defense, not letting occasional offensive struggles dictate their effort on the defensive end. The Bucks can win with defense and offense. I think Brooklyn needs to win with great offense.

This series has become interesting again.

Goose85
06-14-2021, 08:16 AM
It is a series again. I was pretty pessimistic after game 2, but anything can happen now.

I never want to see great players suffer an injury, and Irving's injury did not look good. I suffered a broken fibula and high ankle sprain when my foot did something similar. Lucky to have just sprained it. There were 2 days off before games 3 and 4, whereas there is only 1 day off the rest of the way. Hard to believe Irving will be good to go Tuesday, or anywhere near 100%.

Brooklyn only had their Big 3 available in 8 of the 72 games this season. So in a way, a reflection of what they were for most of the year. Being available and durable is important.

It has been nice to see the Bucks playing great defense, not letting occasional offensive struggles dictate their effort on the defensive end. The Bucks can win with defense and offense. I think Brooklyn needs to win with great offense.

This series has become interesting again.

I think with only one day off it will be hard for Irving to make the game Tuesday like you said.
if no Irving and no Harden the Bucks make this series very difficult for the Nets. I think even with Harden it will be difficult.

The Bucks have figured out how to play physical with the Nets, and that didn't suit KD. KD needs another big time player to win.

With no Irving, Holiday should become more of an offensive weapon, as he won't be expending as much effort on D.

mufan2003
06-14-2021, 11:01 AM
I think with only one day off it will be hard for Irving to make the game Tuesday like you said.
if no Irving and no Harden the Bucks make this series very difficult for the Nets. I think even with Harden it will be difficult.

The Bucks have figured out how to play physical with the Nets, and that didn't suit KD. KD needs another big time player to win.

With no Irving, Holiday should become more of an offensive weapon, as he won't be expending as much effort on D.

Not only getting more physical, but just raising their overall defensive play as well. It is as if they realized they had to be great on the defensive end to win this series. In the first 2 games, it seemed like the Bucks were playing regular season defense (taking possessions off).

Nice to see guys like Tucker, Forbes and Connaughton start contributing offensively.

Goose85
06-14-2021, 11:26 AM
Not only getting more physical, but just raising their overall defensive play as well. It is as if they realized they had to be great on the defensive end to win this series. In the first 2 games, it seemed like the Bucks were playing regular season defense (taking possessions off).

Nice to see guys like Tucker, Forbes and Connaughton start contributing offensively.

Any report on the status of Kyrie for tomorrow?

Tucker has been the difference in this series. He is really in KD's grill, and maybe in his head.
Hopefully the game in Brooklyn is officiated the same was this last game was officiated.

mufan2003
06-14-2021, 03:09 PM
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2944529-woj-nets-preparing-for-kyrie-irving-james-harden-to-be-out-vs-bucks-in-game-5.amp.html

Goose85
06-15-2021, 10:56 AM
With no Kyrie and no Harden the Bucks need to step it up right from the start. Pressure KD all over the court, and make sure he knows it is not just Tucker that will be in his face all game.

Need a big win.

Sounds like Embiid is having some trouble with the knee for Philly. The East is there for the Bucks to take, just need to step it up and take advantage.

mufan2003
06-15-2021, 11:34 AM
With no Kyrie and no Harden the Bucks need to step it up right from the start. Pressure KD all over the court, and make sure he knows it is not just Tucker that will be in his face all game.

Need a big win.

Sounds like Embiid is having some trouble with the knee for Philly. The East is there for the Bucks to take, just need to step it up and take advantage.

I tend to worry just a bit when a game is considered a guaranteed win. Bucks can't mess around and relax with no Irving/Harden. Toronto made no apologies in the 2019 NBA Finals when Durant and Klay Thompson went down. Take advantage of the opportunity and don't let it go 7 games when Harden and/or Irving could possibly return.

Good point on Embiid, the East is wide open.

Goose85
06-15-2021, 12:17 PM
I tend to worry just a bit when a game is considered a guaranteed win. Bucks can't mess around and relax with no Irving/Harden. Toronto made no apologies in the 2019 NBA Finals when Durant and Klay Thompson went down. Take advantage of the opportunity and don't let it go 7 games when Harden and/or Irving could possibly return.

Good point on Embiid, the East is wide open.

Agree, no let up. Force the action and play a hard 48 minutes.

Goose85
06-15-2021, 01:26 PM
Sounds like Harden is going to try to play. Need to really step it up and make him work. Not sure he will make it for a full game.

mufan2003
06-15-2021, 02:39 PM
I wonder if this will be a similar situation to the one Anthony Davis was in against the Suns. He strained his groin early in the series......then in the elimination game, he was on the floor for the tip but came out after the first dead-ball. Never returned.

Bucks need to be prepared for him to play and play well, but I wonder if this is just a feeble attempt at diversion. Do anything to throw off the Bucks' preparations.

mufan2003
06-16-2021, 10:56 AM
Despite the obvious blown opportunity.....16 point lead at half and as much as 17. What bothered me the most is never trying Giannis on Durant under 8 or 7 minutes in the 4th Quarter.

Giannis was the 2020 DPOY and 1st team All-NBA Defense multiple times. He is 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan. Nobody else on the Bucks, when Durant comes off the screen and shoots, can affect Durant's line of sight towards the basket or affect the trajectory on his shot (causing Durant to change it). It is like a cone drill for Durant in practice.....he knows when he rises up he will have a clear look at the hoop. I like using Tucker and others throughout the bulk of the game, but come the 4th quarter, under 8 minutes, when it is possession-by-possession, I think you have to give the assignment to Giannis (assuming no major foul trouble....3 fouls or less).

Such a blown opportunity. It feels like it is over now. If there is any hope, it is that Harden and Irving (if even available) still won't be much healthier for game 6 and potentially game 7. You might have the exact same opportunity in a Game 7. Granted, why have any confidence when they had a 17 point lead and couldn't get it done in Game 5. Disappointing.

Goose85
06-16-2021, 11:07 AM
Agree MUFan. Wasted opportunity. Try Giannis on Durant, even for just a few series.
When Durant was covering Lopez we just had Lopez spread out at the 3 line, which essentially gave Durant a break on D. Bring Lopez to the low box and make Durant expend some energy on D.

Why do we always revert to isolation ball down the stretch when moving the ball worked so well for most of the game? Is that on Giannis, or on Bud for not getting Giannis to move the ball around.

I thought going into last night that the series was ours, and it should have been. Now I am not looking forward to watching the next game, as I fear it may be just what Brooklyn needs, a series win and rest for Irving and Harden.

MUfan12
06-16-2021, 01:00 PM
I posted much of this on Scoop but I'm still pretty flabbergasted by the decision making in the second half last night. They were targeting Lopez a ton and the Bucks had no answer. Drop coverage on KD is ineffective, that 12 footer is like a layup for him. And given how well things went Sunday playing small I'm furious that they didn't play it that way sooner. By the time Bud woke up and made the change, the momentum was already firmly with Brooklyn and it was too late. Thought they erred in picking KD up as far out as they did. It let them get into their action sooner to give him more space to get downhill. And if left guys like Griffin and Green open on the perimeter and they punished it. Fourth quarter saw too many soft switches on high ball screens for Durant, which led to Connaughton on him twice. Poor communication on others. It was a disaster.

As for the offense, the fact that they had Harden out there for 40 minutes and didn't attack him more than a few times is malpractice. I don't have a problem with iso ball when it's used correctly. There were a handful of times when Holiday had Harden up top, and rather than spread the floor and let him cook they brought a ball screen which brought help or a switch. Just dumb f*cking basketball for the last 19 minutes of the game.

Because it's the Bucks, they'll win Game 6 and bow out meekly in Game 7. Same as it ever was.

mufan2003
06-16-2021, 03:53 PM
I posted much of this on Scoop but I'm still pretty flabbergasted by the decision making in the second half last night. They were targeting Lopez a ton and the Bucks had no answer. Drop coverage on KD is ineffective, that 12 footer is like a layup for him. And given how well things went Sunday playing small I'm furious that they didn't play it that way sooner. By the time Bud woke up and made the change, the momentum was already firmly with Brooklyn and it was too late. Thought they erred in picking KD up as far out as they did. It let them get into their action sooner to give him more space to get downhill. And if left guys like Griffin and Green open on the perimeter and they punished it. Fourth quarter saw too many soft switches on high ball screens for Durant, which led to Connaughton on him twice. Poor communication on others. It was a disaster.

As for the offense, the fact that they had Harden out there for 40 minutes and didn't attack him more than a few times is malpractice. I don't have a problem with iso ball when it's used correctly. There were a handful of times when Holiday had Harden up top, and rather than spread the floor and let him cook they brought a ball screen which brought help or a switch. Just dumb f*cking basketball for the last 19 minutes of the game.

Because it's the Bucks, they'll win Game 6 and bow out meekly in Game 7. Same as it ever was.

Good points. The Giannis fadeaway in the wide post, one-on-one against Harden, epitomized the stupidity of the offense in the 2nd half. When things get tight, on the road, they just seem to become paralyzed. Saw a tweet that the Bucks need a sports psychiatrist.

It sure seems to be conventional wisdom that the Bucks win Game 6 and then lose Game 7 like most road teams do. If Harden remains 50% (?) and Irving can't return, losing this series will be a tough pill to swallow. It will start looking like the 80's again.....very good but never the best in the East.

Goose85
06-18-2021, 09:42 AM
On to game 7. We have to keep playing the way we did yesterday. Share the ball, and work for good inside shots. I don't think Giannis shot a 3, which leads to better offense.

mufan2003
06-18-2021, 12:33 PM
I agree Goose. They can beat Brooklyn up inside (off the drive or post-up) with Jrue, Giannis, Brook, etc. Maintain ball and player movement in the 2nd half.....if you go isolation, don't settle for jumpers and attack Harden.

For me, it will not be enough to lose Game 7 and say they played a hard fought series. With Brooklyn nicked up, Bucks need to be the rare team to win a Game 7 on the road.

This is their opportunity.

mufan2003
06-19-2021, 10:35 PM
Yes!!!!!! I wouldn't have bet on it....but the Bucks did it. Making history with a Game 7 road win! So happy for Giannis, Middleton, Brook, Jrue, PJ and Coach Bud.

Felt like the refs and announcers wanted Brooklyn to win....oh well. :cool:

mufan2003
06-20-2021, 12:18 PM
https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/1406511546340151296?s=19

Goose85
06-21-2021, 08:03 AM
Yes!!!!!! I wouldn't have bet on it....but the Bucks did it. Making history with a Game 7 road win! So happy for Giannis, Middleton, Brook, Jrue, PJ and Coach Bud.

Felt like the refs and announcers wanted Brooklyn to win....oh well. :cool:

I don't think it was me being a homer, but Brooklyn sure seems to get more than their share of calls.

Amazed we won, but that was awesome. I really think that we can take care of business from here. That may have been as tough a team as we are going to face. Doesn't mean we will win it all, but I like our chances against the remaining teams.

The rotations will likely be completely different against Atlanta. Portis may get more time as well as Forbes. Just different defense needed against different teams.