PDA

View Full Version : Houston Basketball

Goose85
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I really think that Houston's move to the Big East, while a football move, could really turn out to be a big deal for their hoops team (much like MU and the Big East).

Houston has two commits from top 100 players in the class of 2012 so they have a good start.

The state of Texas produces a ton of hoops talent. Houston can now offer playing in the Big East which is unique to hoops players that want to stay in state. That combination may very well help put Houston hoops back on the map and start a new Phi Slamma Jamma era.

Scout's rankings has the following;
2012 - 6 players from the state of Texas in the top 40, 10 total in the top 100.

2013 - 6 players from the state of Texas in the top 20.

2014 - 3 players from the state of Texas in the top 15.

I really think Houston's admission to the Big East will turn out great, as I believe in a few years they will have a better football product and even a better basketball product than Pitt.

Hamostradamus
02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
On the flip side, sorry to see TCU go, but their new conference may have a small PR problem to deal with...4 TCU football players busted for dealing drugs.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/15/10416455-drug-bust-nabs-17-tcu-students-including-football-players

IWB
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Hamos - When I first went to see your link, I thought it would be weed. But it was a little more than that.....

"Those arrested were selling marijunana, cocaine, the club drug "molly" (some in powder form, some in pill form), acid and prescription drugs including Xanex, hydrocodone and others similar to OxyContin"

Wow - Quite the little operation they had going there. Molly? What is Molly? Never mind, I don't want to know.

Goo - The thing about Texas is, you can't just look at the rankings. I remember an assistant coach in the PAC 12 telling me that he really wanted to recruit Texas because of the overall amount of talent. He told me....

"Just look at the number of people in that state - you can't look at rankings, because the guys that do those rankings will have say 20 centers in the top 100. Well, there is no way they can allow half of the centers to be from one state, even though Texas has 20 that are good enough to be on that list."

I think there is a lot of truth to that. Look at Wisconsin - the talent pool here isn't always great, but there have been some solid years, but the state will never get more than 2 guys with a top ranking because, well, it's Wisconsin.

Hamostradamus
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
And it gets worse...

"Brock told an informant that it was likely only about 20 players on TCU’s roster would pass a drug test."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/15/tcu-players-arrested-in-major-drug-sweep/related/