PDA

View Full Version : Jinxed?

Phantom Warrior
08-07-2012, 06:30 AM
I know I shouldn't feel this way, and I don't want to feel this way, but I've reached a point after eight years that I am just waiting for at least one injury to strike and cause the team to fall short - even if only a tad short - of achieving what it could have if we'd remained injury-free.

Call me a pessimist if you want, but look back over the past eight years. An injury-free year has been an anomoly.

Start with the '04-'05 season when we lost Travis for nearly the final quarter of the season (seven games out of 31). We missed out on the NCAA. There is no question in my mind that we make the NCAA had he not been injured.

In '05-'06, the Amigos made their initial mark. But that mark almost certainly would have been even greater had Wesley not been injured just prior to the start of conference play. If I remember correctly, he missed seven games, which included a couple of very close losses. Chapman did an admirable job filling his starting slot, but that meant we lost JC coming off the bench, and our depth suffered. Plus, it took Wesley a couple of games to adjust when he did come back. Furthermore, imagine how good Wesley might have been by the end of the season had he not missed the first half of conference play. We almost certainly would have had a higher seed in the Big Dance, and who knows what might have happened.

In '06-'07, of course, Jerel broke his hand before the last regular season game against Pitt. We still managed to beat the Panthers and win a game in the conference tournament, but Jerel was our best player that year. We ended up with either an 8 seed or a 9 seed in the NCAA, but our seed would have certainly been higher had Jerel still been playing.

We managed to get through '07-'08 without any injuries that seriously affected our team. Fitz missed a few games, but I don't think that had any bearing on our tournament seeding or on our wins and losses at the end of the season.

Then we get to the '08-'09 season when we were sailing along wonderfully until DJ suffered his foot injury. Not only did we proceed to lose a couple of conference games we could very well have won, but there is no question we would have had a higher seed in the Big Dance had DJ been healthy. He missed six games, and I think we lost two, maybe even three, of them. That team could definitely have found itself in the Final Four. As if that wasn't bad enough, we also lost Otule and Fulce for quite some time to injury, so our front court was incredibly thin.

In '09-'10 we had Otule for exactly three games, and we lost Junior to a torn Achilles right off the bat. Acker and Cubillan filled in nicely, and Junior might not have even started ahead of Acker that year, but there is no question our depth at guard was hurt by losing Junior and it was hurt up front losing Otule (not to mention Maymon, though that wasn't injury-related, obviously). Fulce played in every game that season, but he battled knee problems all year. The reality is we never got to see the real Joe Fulce.

Speaking of Fulce, I, and many others, had high hopes for his senior season in '10-'11. He looked terrific that summer, and I was hoping we'd finally see the JF that earned second-team juco A-A honors. I figured he might start at center for us. But it wasn't meant to be. He missed eight games and barely played in quite a few others. There is no way to know what a healthy Joe Fulce would have meant to that team or the previous two teams for that matter, but for those of us who saw him play as a juco, we have at least an idea of how much he might have contributed had he been healthy.

Which brings us to last year's team. The loss of Otule robbed us of our tallest player and best interior defender, and then the loss of Gardner forced Buzz to once again adjust. We had a terrific year in spite of those losses, but I can only wonder how good we might have been had we remained injury-free.

That's a total of eight years, eight teams, seven of which had to deal with injuries that either forced potentially significant contributors to miss games, or at the very least, led to one or more individuals contributing less than they might have had they been at full strength.

Injuries are part of the game. I accept that. But I think we have had a remarkable string of bad luck on the injury front over the last eight years. A decade ago, the potential of injuries was seldom on my mind going into a season. That is no longer the case. It's gotten to the point where I now expect someone to fall victim to the injury jinx. The only questions are how many and who.

The fact that Lockett missed most (all?) of the pro-am this summer with an ankle injury is, to me, already worrisome. Or maybe it will be Taylor's shoulder that undermines his freshman season. Maybe someone else. I don't know.

All I know is that I have the feeling I'm going to say, "Oh crap. Here we go again." Anyone else feel the same way, or have I just become incredibly cynical as I've gotten older? Anyone else feel like we've been jinxed the past eight years or so?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
08-07-2012, 07:54 AM
All the more reason I'm glad for the depth Buzz has built. Though I'd love to see what an injury-free MU team could look like, especially in one of the next 2 years.

Nukem2
08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Really don't think Wesley's injury made much of a difference for that 05-06 season. Chapman played well in his abscence. Higher seed...unlikely...?

lougrant
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Yup, in recent seasons I've expected the worst and it's just what we get. If it's not an injury, then it's a summer transfer (Mbakwe, Taylor) or mid-season transfer (Maymon, Smith). There's always something that cuts into our depth and disrupts the roster while we're on the cusp -- or in the midst -- of a season.

MUfan12
08-07-2012, 09:57 AM
The fact that 07-08 is the exception to this rule makes that loss to Stanford the toughest one in recent memory.

CaribouJim
08-07-2012, 01:59 PM
The fact that 07-08 is the exception to this rule makes that loss to Stanford the toughest one in recent memory.

Really thought MU could have been a sleeper FF team that year and but for DJ's injury even more so in the '08 -'09 season.

warriorfan4life
08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Very good post Phantom, but I will disagree with you about Fitzgerald's impact in 2007-2008. While that team scored the ball better then the previous bunch, we still needed someone to better spread the floor and a healthy Fitz plays a big role on that team. He would have made the Amigos that much more dangerous attacking the basket. After a strong close to his junior year, I thought Fitz was going to have a strong senior year, but unfortunately injuries go in the way.

IWB
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I always said there was a George Thompson curse. Look at the scoring title....

Butch Lee - came very close, only needed 38 more points. If MU doesn't get bounced by Miami of Ohio and plays 2 more games, does Butch top the chart?

Tony Smith - 85 points shy. Only made it to the NIT twice, so two tourney games. If he gets 3-4 more tourney games, does he break it?

Brian Wardle was close - very close, only needed 83 points. In four years he never made it to the NCAAs, but made the NIT twice, playing in only 3 total post season games. A few more post season games, does he make it? Crowder played in 6 post season games and he was only at MU for two years.

Travis Diener was close - 82 points to go, but an injury ended his career. He missed the last 5 games. Had he stayed, does he top Butch?

Dominic James - ends up 24 points behind, but an injury cut his career short.

That's five guys that could have gotten the record, but a freak incident vs Miami OH, two snake bitten four year runs and a couple of injuries held those guys off of George's record.

Finally, Jerel & Lazar toppled the Thompson Curse.

Gato78
08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Brute Force did it in three years with many fewer games and he played in a controlled offense. He will always be the scoring king in my book. He is entitled to the curse!!!!

IWB
08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
The three years is the reason why I think there is a curse. No one was going to top it unless they did it in three.

MayorBeluga
08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
The three years is the reason why I think there is a curse. No one was going to top it unless they did it in three.

And had Wade stayed one more season, there's no doubt he would have broken it. Alas...

Phantom Warrior
08-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Looked at from the opposite perspective, imagine if Wade had stayed another year, let alone two, or, for that matter if Chones had not only finished his junior year at MU but also stayed for hgis senior year. In either case Brute Force's record would have been toast within the three-year time frame. Oh, what could have been.