PDA

View Full Version : Pitino on Syracuse

Goose85
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Pitino has no problem commenting on Syracuse. He said the one positive of Syracuse leaving the Big East is Louisville fans may be able to get tickets to the Big East tourney.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/08/04/pitino-syracuses-departure-from-big-east-opens-up-tickets-for-louisville-fans/#more-77571

CaribouJim
08-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Way to go Rick!! I know many fans, alums, relatives from SU and there is far from a consensus on the move to the ACC - look at BC's sports since their flight to the ACC. I'll still miss them though - fun road trip - haven't missed an MU game at the Dome since MU's move to the BE.

Goose85
08-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Interesting perspective Caribou - I'm glad that SU fans are still having some buyers remorse. It should make for a very interesting final season.

Do any of the SU fans you know worry that with the ACC move, and Boeheim not getting any younger at 67, that SU could take a hit down the road?

I don't think basketball wise they will become BC, as they have a very good fan base that fills the dome and a history of success, but anytime a legendary coach leaves there can be a drop off.

CaribouJim
08-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Interesting perspective Caribou - I'm glad that SU fans are still having some buyers remorse. It should make for a very interesting final season.

Do any of the SU fans you know worry that with the ACC move, and Boeheim not getting any younger at 67, that SU could take a hit down the road?

I don't think basketball wise they will become BC, as they have a very good fan base that fills the dome and a history of success, but anytime a legendary coach leaves there can be a drop off.

For BC, I was thinking more about their football program, although they had some pretty decent b-ball teams before their exodus from BE. I thought their football program was one of the most underrated programs in the country there for awhile - they had a great run of consecutive bowl wins in consecutive, almost double digit, seasons and they consistently were whipping ND's butt, before slowly but surely fading out - their attendance has nosedived big time.

As far as SU, you're right, Boeheim is not going to be around too long in the ACC - one or two years I am guessing, if that - and he already has named his replacement and Hopkins is milquetoast if you ask me - don't know how he'll recruit - that job would attract some high profile interest. I deplore the practice of these coaches who anoint their replacements BTW - arrogant as hell IMO - even Coach K said he won't do that, although behind the scenes I'm sure he'll get more than his fair share of input.