PDA

View Full Version : Bucks vs Raptors

mufan2003
05-14-2019, 10:21 AM
https://www.nba.com/playoffs/2019/eastseries7#/

Watching game 7 of Toronto/Philly, all I could think is that the Bucks are better than both of these teams. Leonard deserves all the accolades, and they have other nice pieces (Siakam, Lowry, Gasol, Green, Ibaka). I just think at this point, Milwaukee is better and deeper. Theoretically, this should be a tougher challenge than Boston. Although, before the series, I thought the winner of Milwaukee/Boston would go the NBA Finals. I don't think it goes 7, Milwaukee in 5 or 6.

mufansince72
05-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Vegas likes the Bucks in 5.

Goose85
05-15-2019, 09:32 AM
Bucks in 5.

If we play like we did last series, I think we can pull it off in 5. Toronto is good, and Leonard is tough to stop, but I think our depth will help us take care of business.

MUfan12
05-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Saw a lot of tired legs at the end of that game on Sunday. Toronto's depth is questionable.

Van Vleet is gonna start hitting at some point, and I have to think Siakam will as well. I think the guy it hinges on is Lowry. If he doesn't play well, the Bucks win in 5. Expecting this to go at least 6.

mufansince72
05-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Saw a lot of tired legs at the end of that game on Sunday. Toronto's depth is questionable.

Van Vleet is gonna start hitting at some point, and I have to think Siakam will as well. I think the guy it hinges on is Lowry. If he doesn't play well, the Bucks win in 5. Expecting this to go at least 6.

There is a reason that Lowry didn't do much against the Bucks this year. His name is Eric Bledsoe!

mufan2003
05-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Great to win game 1 when you got outplayed for 3 quarters. I was about ready to chalk it up as a loss. Almost everyone on Toronto was playing well. Lowry has had some poor playoff performances, but may have had one of his best tonight. Leonard may have got tired in the 4th. He has logged a lot of minutes already.

After a quiet Boston series, Lopez was great. Kept Milwaukee in the game. Brogdon has shaken off any rust, he was also key. Always good to pull out a win when you weren't near your best.

mufan2003
05-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Pau Gasol with an interesting anslysis of Giannis in the Players' Tribune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/giannis-antetokounmpo-bucks-mvp

Goose85
05-17-2019, 08:12 AM
I too think we beat Toronto when Toronto gave us close to their best shot and we actually didn't shoot well. We missed 33 3 pointers and made just 11. We will shoot better than that I would think.
I think we play much better on offense, or at least we shoot a higher percentage tonight. We continue to wear down opponents / Toronto with our depth, and will do it again tonight. We will take advantage of the defense collapsing on Giannis by kicking it out to other good shooters / scorers who are left open for the Giannis triple team and will do it again tonight.

Bucks win tonight by double digits and have the Fiserv Forum and Deer District rocking. What a great time to be a Bucks fan!

mufansince72
05-17-2019, 01:23 PM
I too think we beat Toronto when Toronto gave us close to their best shot and we actually didn't shoot well. We missed 33 3 pointers and made just 11. We will shoot better than that I would think.
I think we play much better on offense, or at least we shoot a higher percentage tonight. We continue to wear down opponents / Toronto with our depth, and will do it again tonight. We will take advantage of the defense collapsing on Giannis by kicking it out to other good shooters / scorers who are left open for the Giannis triple team and will do it again tonight.

Bucks win tonight by double digits and have the Fiserv Forum and Deer District rocking. What a great time to be a Bucks fan!

To me the key to the game tonight is Bledsoe. If he can crack some of the seems of that 2-3 zone Toronto has been playing, it will push the pace, and open up things a little more for Giannis. I think Bled needs to stop jacking jumpers, get layups, or kickouts to shooters or a trailing Giannis. I don't expect Lowry to be that efficient again, nor Lopez. I like the Bucks by double digits.

Goose85
05-20-2019, 10:15 AM
Bucks didn't look good last night and still took Toronto to two overtimes. Based on the previous series, it seems like Toronto (and Philly for that matter) play one good, then one down game.
Hopefully that means the Bucks pick up a W in the next game and come back home looking to close it out in 5.

I think we will see a really focused Bucks team tomorrow and we pick up a double digit win.

mufansince72
05-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Bucks didn't look good last night and still took Toronto to two overtimes. Based on the previous series, it seems like Toronto (and Philly for that matter) play one good, then one down game.
Hopefully that means the Bucks pick up a W in the next game and come back home looking to close it out in 5.

I think we will see a really focused Bucks team tomorrow and we pick up a double digit win.

That game proved to me just how good the Bucks really are. Your best three players had terrible games, and they still took a talented team that was in desperation mode to double overtime. Toronto will come out hot tomorrow. If Bucks can stay close through the initial wave, I think they win convincingly.

MUfan12
05-20-2019, 11:03 AM
I was pretty hot after that game last night, but I gotta think this is a speedbump.

Midds and Bledsoe are not trending well, which is a huge concern. Bled especially.

mufan2003
05-20-2019, 11:10 AM
After a poor game, Giannis usually has a great game. He was still great on the boards despite struggling to score. Needs to keep finding open teammates if they send 2 or 3 guys at him. Agree with the previous sentiments, that it took 2 OTs at home for Toronto to win their first game in the series. Not exactly confidence building. I still think Milwaukee is the better and deeper team. I will give Toronto credit for what appeared to be better defense. However, some of it was just the Bucks missing shots they usually make. Bledsoe needs to get in the lane more, settled too often for a 3-point shot.

Toronto needs to win 3 of the next possible 4 games to win the series. Bucks only lost 2 games in a row, once all season. That was an entertaining game, but hopefully the Bucks can pull off a relatively comfortable win tomorrow night.

mufan2003
05-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Joe Borgia (VP of Replay and Referee Operations), says Giannis did not travel on the controversial move last night. 3rd video down in the article. I think it is just rare to see a player be able to cover so much ground in two strides (and change direction).

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/20/giannis-learning-bear-playoff-disappointment

mufansince72
05-21-2019, 09:52 PM
I hope the Bucks can come back from this. I could see Toronto taking this now in 6 or 7.

MUfan12
05-21-2019, 10:23 PM
They're in big trouble. Lucky to be tied. Toronto has outplayed them for most of the series.

mufan2003
05-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Starting to look like a series where nobody can win on the road. Similar to Milwaukee/Boston last season. Role players are always comfortable at home. I was fine with the game 3 loss, but tonight, the Bucks were just bad.

Defensive lapses, leaving players wide open beyond the arc (Lowry, Powell). Sloppy turnovers. Uncharacteristic of this team. Might be time to leave Giannis on Leonard permanently come late 3rd and into the 4th quarter. Too many other Raptors making Milwaukee pay.

Frustrating, but Toronto was as bad or worse in Milwaukee than the Bucks were in Toronto. Best of 3 with 2 in Milwaukee. Series doesn't start until someone wins on the road.

mufan2003
05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Nice to see Giannis and Bledsoe get recognized on the NBA All-Defensive 1st Team. Well deserved. I would like to see Bledsoe clamp down on Lowry a bit more. He did a great job on Harden the two times they played, no reason he can't shut down Lowry. I think the Bucks also gave Kawhi too much respect in game 4, leaving other guys wide open. I hope Bud puts Giannis on Kawhi down the stretch (late 3rd and 4th) if Giannis is not in foul trouble. Big game tonight, the Forum should be rocking. I hope Aaron Rodgers shows up and at some point massages Bud's shoulders :cool:.

https://www.nba.com/bucks/news/giannis-antetokounmpo-and-eric-bledsoe-selected-nba-all-defensive-first-team

Goose85
05-23-2019, 11:52 AM
I hope Aaron Rodgers shows up and at some point massages Bud's shoulders :cool:.

https://www.nba.com/bucks/news/giannis-antetokounmpo-and-eric-bledsoe-selected-nba-all-defensive-first-team

Now that was good.

Bucks need to step up the D tonight and have better shot selection. Start Giannis off the ball so the D can't focus on him starting at the top of the key.

mufansince72
05-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Now that was good.

Bucks need to step up the D tonight and have better shot selection. Start Giannis off the ball so the D can't focus on him starting at the top of the key.

Couple things.
1) Hopefully Bledsoe making first team all defense helps with his confidence, and he can make an impact tonight on that side of the floor by shutting down Lowry/VanVleet.
2) Last game Bucks double teamed Kawhi a lot, he was clearly limited and seemed to make the Bucks pay with that double team by finding open guys. I think the Bucks should start the game not double teaming Kawhi. I.E. Let him get what he can but play tougher defense on the other guys.
3) Hopefully some home cooking will make some of the Bucks three pointers go down.

Goose85
05-23-2019, 03:27 PM
Let Kawhi have his for the most part and restrict the rest of the team. Take turns denying Kawhi on every possession and really make him work. Make him work baseline to baseline and rotate Middleton, Brogdan, Connaughton, Giannis on him, and maybe even a couple minutes for Wilson.

mufan2003
05-23-2019, 10:42 PM
What a disappointing loss. 6 points for Middleton, MIA. Mirotic also MIA. Double digit lead in the 3rd quarter, but always let Toronto back in it. A team that usually rebounds well, was bad on the defensive glass. Van Vleet was something like 3-26 in the previous 2 rounds, but goes 7-9 from 3 tonight. Refs were poor, Lowry and Leonard love flopping/flailing and the refs bite.

Sure feels like Toronto will rap it up in game 6. Can only hope for a chance down the stretch like in game 3. If there is any hope, it would be that something similar happens to what did in the 2001 Eastern Conference semis against Charlotte. Bucks also won the first 2 at home, then lost by double digits in games 3 and 4. Charlotte then won game 5 in Milwaukee. The Bucks then found a way to come back from double digits and win game 6 in Charlotte. Then won game 7 back in Milwaukee.

Have to be better on the defensive glass and better ball movement/shot selection.

mufansince72
05-23-2019, 11:53 PM
Just got back from the game. Very disappointing. Potentially franchise altering loss.

MUfan12
05-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Just got back from the game. Very disappointing. Potentially franchise altering loss.

I said to a friend last night that they're probably a year early, but the way the roster is constructed, this had to be the year.

Middleton... I don't know, man. Can you afford to give that guy max money with how he's performed this postseason? I know Giannis wants him here, and you want to keep Giannis happy going into next summer, but that type of deal could really hamstring them.

Lopez is gonna get a big deal from someone, and I'm guessing Brogdon will as well. Probably can only afford to keep one of them. Maybe both if you dump Snell's contract, but that'll require a pick, so you're more or less forfeiting the draft for the next 3 years. Can't keep Hill at 18M, so he's gone. Maybe keep Niko on the cheap if possible.

I guess my rambling point is that yes, it's absolutely a franchise altering loss. It became clear early that this was the year to make some noise and make it out of the East. To blow a 2-0 lead in such spectacular fashion, going into a ton of uncertainty in the offseason is not good.

Goose85
05-24-2019, 10:55 AM
I said to a friend last night that they're probably a year early, but the way the roster is constructed, this had to be the year.

Middleton... I don't know, man. Can you afford to give that guy max money with how he's performed this postseason? I know Giannis wants him here, and you want to keep Giannis happy going into next summer, but that type of deal could really hamstring them.

Lopez is gonna get a big deal from someone, and I'm guessing Brogdon will as well. Probably can only afford to keep one of them. Maybe both if you dump Snell's contract, but that'll require a pick, so you're more or less forfeiting the draft for the next 3 years. Can't keep Hill at 18M, so he's gone. Maybe keep Niko on the cheap if possible.

I guess my rambling point is that yes, it's absolutely a franchise altering loss. It became clear early that this was the year to make some noise and make it out of the East. To blow a 2-0 lead in such spectacular fashion, going into a ton of uncertainty in the offseason is not good.

Very disappointing. For the first 7 minutes of the 2nd quarter we scored 2 points. Put up even 12 points or so in that span and we have a runaway game. Had plenty of chances and didn't take advantage. Hoping we can get this to a game 7.

I've been saying all year Middleton is not a max deal guy. Someone may give it to him, but shouldn't be the Bucks.
If Middleton wants $30 mil, I bet you could keep Lopez, Hill and Mirotic for close to that same amount.

Bucks will decline the $18 mil for Hill, the question is will he stay for $8 - $10 mil? Lopez fits perfect, is that worth taking $10 mil over $13 or higher elsewhere? Mirotic loves MKE and makes about $12. Both he and Lopez have been on bad teams. Will they want to stay for a few less dollars to play on a winner, and with a stat that doesn't have a crazy ego? Who knows.

Too many teams freed up cap space. More slots than players at this point, so someone will overpay for Middleton.

Let's hit our shots, play some D, and get a win at Toronto and see what happens in a game 7.

mufansince72
05-25-2019, 06:26 PM
I think whomever wins tonight, will do it in blowout fashion.

mufan2003
05-25-2019, 10:47 PM
No sugarcoating it, really tough as a Bucks fan, winning the first two and then losing the next 4. Disclaimer, positive spin here, but Jordan didn't win his first playoff series while going to the NBA Finals in the same year. Giannis is 24, and this will motivate him to round out his game during the summer.

Great comment from Coach Bud in the post-game presser: "This hurts. We feel like we are just getting started. This is the beginning of our journey." No more leaking roof at the Cousins Center (practice facility). State-of-the-art arena and practice facility (and entertainment district). Bucks are a desirable franchise now.

I think you let Mirotic walk, DJ Wilson is the same size with much more potential as a 2-way player. Donte DiVincenzo, keep reading/hearing the Bucks are high on him. As we know, 6'5" player that can shoot with great athleticism. Keep Lopez and Brogdon. Might have to let Middleton walk if a franchise throws max or near max money at him. Make Middleton a reasonble/respectable offer, and then leave it up to him.

I agree with coach Bud, with Giannis (24) not even in his prime yet, they are just getting started.

MUfan12
05-25-2019, 11:41 PM
This is all temporary until Giannis signs that extension. That's why this stings so much. They leveraged a lot to win this year and still came up short.

mufan2003
05-26-2019, 12:13 AM
This is all temporary until Giannis signs that extension. That's why this stings so much. They leveraged a lot to win this year and still came up short.

I would push back on that. "Leveraged" would insinuate that the Bucks took on (assumed) multi-year deals to make a push to win it all. Quite the contrary, Henson (multiple years left) and Dellavedova (multiple years left) turned into Hill, an expiring contract. Maker turned into Mirotic, expiring contract. Middleton has a player option, which if exercised, would clearly be under market value. Lopez's contract is expiring, playing for the bargain priced bi-annual exception. Brogdon is a restricted free agent, Bucks can match any offer.

Bottom line, Bucks are not stuck with long-term, bad contracts. I think Wilson (affordable rookie pay scale) replaces Mirotic. DiVincenzo (affordable rookie pay scale) replaces Hill (would love to keep him).

mufan2003
05-26-2019, 03:48 PM
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/26/milwaukee-bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-eliminated-next-steps

MUfan12
05-28-2019, 09:58 AM
I would push back on that. "Leveraged" would insinuate that the Bucks took on (assumed) multi-year deals to make a push to win it all.

You're right, it was a poor choice of words. I just am struggling with the idea of "next year" with the amount of cap/roster alchemy needed to keep the main group intact. It felt like it was all aligned for them to get out of the East this year. 9-1 in the playoffs, up 2-0 in the ECF and have two main guys for Toronto foul out in Game 3. And it all evaporated. Ugh.

mufan2003
05-28-2019, 10:22 AM
You're right, it was a poor choice of words. I just am struggling with the idea of "next year" with the amount of cap/roster alchemy needed to keep the main group intact. It felt like it was all aligned for them to get out of the East this year. 9-1 in the playoffs, up 2-0 in the ECF and have two main guys for Toronto foul out in Game 3. And it all evaporated. Ugh.

I agree with you. It was a blown opportunity. Still hard to fathom being up 15 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd, and then letting Toronto go on a 26-5 run (or something like that). Uncharacteristic of them. There was no juggernaut in the East, and the Bucks had the #1 seed. Up 2-0, very disappointing.

I remain optimistic because Giannis is a legit franchise player at 24. They finally found a good coach. Horst (and Milt Newton) are showing they can make the right moves (along with Bud's input). It will be an interesting offseason. Will Wilson and DiVincenzo take on bigger roles next year? Who will be back out of Brogdon, Lopez, Middleton, Hill and Mirotic? Plus the 30th pick in the draft. Curious to see how Toronto does against Golden State.

Goose85
05-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Very disappointed to say the least. This was our series and we didn't step up and take it.

On to next season.

Hopefully we can bring Lopez, Brogdan and Hill back. Lopez and Hill on reasonable deals. Middleton may depend on what the market offers. Will some team give him max type money?
I still like Mirotic, but it is all how much.

One thing to remember when thinking about this season and Giannis. When Michael Jordan was the same age as Giannis, he had yet to get out of the first round of the playoffs, and only had one playoff game win under his belt. His playoff record was 1-9 at the same age.

MU/Panther
05-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Can't see Hill back for $18 million.

Goose85
05-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Can't see Hill back for $18 million.

The Bucks have the option, and will pay him the $1 mil to get out of the $18 mil, then try to resign him for a much smaller number, like $7 - $10 mil.

mufansince72
05-29-2019, 02:59 PM
The Bucks have the option, and will pay him the $1 mil to get out of the $18 mil, then try to resign him for a much smaller number, like $7 - $10 mil.

If they lose Brogdon they probably will do that.