PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse to leave early

Goose85
07-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Big East and Syracuse agree to a July 2013 departure for Syracuse - will cost Cuse $7.5 mil according to ESPN (and they should know as they helped orchestrate the ACC invitation - ha).

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8170460/syracuse-orange-leave-big-east-year-early-july-2013

Goose85
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Now Pitt has the same deal. One more year and buyout of $7.5 million. TCU also settled and are paying $5 million.

That's $20 mil from WVU - $15 mil from Pitt/Syr - $5 mil from TCU for a total of $40 million from the four teams leaving / not joining the conference. I'd guess the conference also will get to keep some funds generated from NCAA tourney and BCS game as well.

I'd still rather have Syracuse in the Big East. The loss of WVU for football is big, but I think Big East football will be better than the ACC but for some reason, beacuse of Fla State, the ACC has a better rep. I don't get it.

Looking forward to more information in the next two months on what the Big East can get TV wise.

Nukem2
07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Guess the $40 million would be split 13 ways...?

ge1974
07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
That over $3 million per school.

The question is: Do football schools get more of the slice of settlement pie? I don't think so since the departing schools played other sports, as well; impacting all league members. I wonder how much of the settelement the league itself gets, as well? They have to pay the lawyers, pay for a temporary league commishioner, hire a search committe; etc.

I sure hope the league negotiates an attractive TV package. The Big East needs to hire a Top-Gun commishioner, ASAP!