PDA

View Full Version : Bucks Season So Far

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-17-2018, 01:08 PM
So here we are roughly 1/3 of the way through the NBA season and the Bucks 19-9 record and all of the advanced metrics would lead you to believe that the Bucks season so far has been massive success, and for the most part it has. They are #1 in Net efficiency thanks to the #3 Offensive Rating, and #4 Defensive Rating. They lead the league in point differential, and are on pace to win 56 or 57 games. yet as a Bucks fan I still have great concern about this team and do not think they are the contender that the metrics would lead you to believe they are. Since starting 7-0 they have gone 12-9 in games since with some bad losses to some clearly inferior teams. Yes, Middleton has been in a extended slump, and the team is still learning the new scheme, and maybe it is my Bucks PTSD from all the years of being awful or losing, but something has me just not trusting them quite yet.

Anyone else here with me? Or do I just need to get over it and accept that the Bucks are elite?

mufan2003
12-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Good points. I think the Bucks are a contender to win the East (along with Toronto, Boston, Philly and Indiana), nobody is head and shoulders above anyone else. Although, I still have Boston winning the East when all is said and done. To win it all, Golden State is still the clear favorite to me. It is easy to doubt the Bucks, given the years of mediocrity that this franchise has experienced. However, during all those years, they never had a 24-year-old, legitimate MVP candidate. A player that is 6'11" with a 7'2" wingspan that can handle like a PG. They have finally put shooters around Giannis (even at the center position). A legitimate coach (finally) and a center (Lopez) with size/strength in the post, whereas in years past it was Henson and Maker.

One positive, with the 19-9 record, the Bucks have already played many of the tougher teams in the league: Golden State (2x), Toronto (2x), Denver (2x), @Clippers, @Boston, Portland (2x). Yes, there were hiccups at New York and against Phoenix. However, all teams have bad losses in a season, keeping them to a minimum is the key. The Bucks have done that so far.

Many pro teams go through slumps. The Celtics were 10-10 at one point, now are 8-1 in their last 9 games. Even the Brewers slumped in August, before turning it on with a great September. The key now, in staying motivated against bad teams, is keeping home-court advantage in mind. The top 5 teams in the East, imo the contenders, are all within 2 games (loss column) of each other. The Bucks are 2-0 against Toronto, 1-1 against Indiana, 1-0 against Philly and 0-1 against Boston. Hopefully, the worst case scenario is the #4 seed with the optimal scenario being the #1 or #2 seed.

Goose85
12-19-2018, 09:23 AM
When I look at the east, I think the Bucks are as good, or can be as dangerous, as any team. Keep a top two seed and it will be interesting. I've looked at the same thing MUFan2003 has, we are done with GS, Denver and Portland. Normally tough west coast games for the Bucks.

Well rounded team for the most part. Need Middleton and Bledsoe play like they are looking for contracts, Brogdan to keep hitting 3's, etc. If Giannis is healthy, no reason we can't make a deep playoff run with this group.

I can just imagine that live block area and think how much fun it would be to see crowds of people there for playoff basketball games.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-19-2018, 03:04 PM
I think my overall nervousness revolves around Boston and Toronto. If Boston continues to grow together they will be scary, and despite their early season struggles, they are getting it together now. Toronto has been pretty solid so far, and they will be even better when Lowry shakes off his funk. I do believe the Bucks are the third best team though because I think Philly is fundamentally flawed, and Indiana is a solid team, but not great. I think depending how the playoff bracket breaks out the Bucks could make the Eastern Conference finals, but still think they are a player or two away from representing the East in the finals.

mufan2003
12-21-2018, 02:14 PM
I think my overall nervousness revolves around Boston and Toronto.

Important game at Boston tonight. Only 3 against Boston during the regular season. Already 0-1 in the series, with tonight and a home game in February remaining. Bucks have lost 5 straight at TD Garden (going back to last year's playoffs). Having the tiebreaker could end up being important. Horford has been out the past 6 games, is day-to-day, would not surprise me if he played tonight.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25571879/the-bucks-great-giannis-brooding

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Important game at Boston tonight. Only 3 against Boston during the regular season. Already 0-1 in the series, with tonight and a home game in February remaining. Bucks have lost 5 straight at TD Garden (going back to last year's playoffs). Having the tiebreaker could end up being important. Horford has been out the past 6 games, is day-to-day, would not surprise me if he played tonight.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25571879/the-bucks-great-giannis-brooding

Definitely a nice win tonight even if Horford, Baynes, and Morris were all out. The Bucks bench has been very impressive.

mufan2003
12-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Giannis with another triple-double against Brooklyn. 31pts (2 of 3 beyond the arc), 10 boards and 10 assists.

I'm biased, but up to this point, he's the MVP of the league. Bucks now an impressive 25-10. Exceeding even my optimistic expectations.

Goose85
12-31-2018, 08:34 AM
Giannis with another triple-double against Brooklyn. 31pts (2 of 3 beyond the arc), 10 boards and 10 assists.

I'm biased, but up to this point, he's the MVP of the league. Bucks now an impressive 25-10. Exceeding even my optimistic expectations.

Milwaukee hasn't had a player like Giannis since Kareem. Giannis is the type player that you should see live, as he is the kind of player you want to be able to say you saw in person.

This Bucks team is fun to watch, and plays a style of ball that is also watchable. I am enjoying the Bucks ride, and really hope they keep it going and win a playoff series and have that live block rocking through April and May.

Goose85
01-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Bucks with the best record in the NBA with 44% of the season in the books.
Take care of Atlanta on Friday, and look for a great crowd at the FF on Saturday for Toronto.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-02-2019, 03:37 PM
I guess my concern was unfounded. I still don't feel like they are a legitimate title contender just yet, if I were making a list of teams that I don't think we could beat in a 7 game series I would put Golden State, Toronto, and Boston in that group. Outside of that, I think the Bucks have a 50/50 or better shot, but for whatever reason Boston gives us fits whenever we play them and they are healthy, and Toronto is tough.

mufan2003
01-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Bucks with the best record in the NBA with 44% of the season in the books.
Take care of Atlanta on Friday, and look for a great crowd at the FF on Saturday for Toronto.

Milwaukee can clinch the season series with a win against Toronto on Saturday night. Sitting at 2-0, would put the Bucks at 3-0 with 1 remaining at Toronto (end of January).

mufan2003
01-02-2019, 04:02 PM
I guess my concern was unfounded. I still don't feel like they are a legitimate title contender just yet, if I were making a list of teams that I don't think we could beat in a 7 game series I would put Golden State, Toronto, and Boston in that group. Outside of that, I think the Bucks have a 50/50 or better shot, but for whatever reason Boston gives us fits whenever we play them and they are healthy, and Toronto is tough.

I am with you on Golden State, but at this point, won't concede anything to any other team in the East. Boston, at full strength, might concern me the most. Home-court advantage could be the difference come playoff time in the East. It did last year against Boston.

mufan2003
01-31-2019, 09:05 AM
Excited for tonight's Bucks/Raptors game. Milwaukee has an opportunity to win any head-to-head tiebreaker with a win (currently 2-1). I hope Brogdon is healthy and can return to the lineup.

Goose85
01-31-2019, 05:17 PM
Excited for tonight's Bucks/Raptors game. Milwaukee has an opportunity to win any head-to-head tiebreaker with a win (currently 2-1). I hope Brogdon is healthy and can return to the lineup.

That is the key, a win would mean if the Bucks and Toronto face off in the playoffs, we get home court advantage. Now that would be awesome!

Goose85
02-01-2019, 08:58 AM
Big win on the road at Toronto. Have tie breaker and are now 3 games ahead in the loss column too.

The Bucks are a really fun NBA team to watch, and last night they got the national exposure!

My daughter goes to Arizona State, and last night at the ASU v. Arizona game she said there were people wearing Giannis jerseys.
We may be a small market, but people out west are fans of the Greek Freak!

mufan2003
02-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Great win, and an important one given the tiebreaker. Bucks were in control most of the game against a really good team. Great to see DJ Wilson contributing. Middleton also announced as an All-Star.

Also cool that the win last night locked Buddnholzer in as one of the two head coaches for the All-Star game. When is the last time that happened for the Bucks (Don Nelson)? If ever? Safe to say they hired the right coach.

Goose85
02-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Certainly elated with Buddenholzer thugs far, and I'll be honest, completely shocked at the play of DJ Wilson. I did not see that happening - ever!
Glad the people running the Bucks know more than I do.

mufan2003
02-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Certainly elated with Buddenholzer thugs far, and I'll be honest, completely shocked at the play of DJ Wilson. I did not see that happening - ever!
Glad the people running the Bucks know more than I do.

Give yourself more credit Goose ;), you were on the Budenholzer bandwagon (as was I) as soon as his name was mentioned as a candidate.

I think most people were ready to write off DJ Wilson. Never saw the court in his first year and was injured during training camp. Felt like another Rashad Vaughn. I like what he brings with his height, length and ability to stretch the floor. He and Lopez are great compliments to Giannis' game. Also proving to be a good defender.

Goose85
02-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Give yourself more credit Goose ;), you were on the Budenholzer bandwagon (as was I) as soon as his name was mentioned as a candidate.

I think most people were ready to write off DJ Wilson. Never saw the court in his first year and was injured during training camp. Felt like another Rashad Vaughn. I like what he brings with his height, length and ability to stretch the floor. He and Lopez are great compliments to Giannis' game. Also proving to be a good defender.

I was on the Budenholzer bandwagon, but sure missed on Wilson. He is playing quality minutes, and like you said MUFan, compliments Giannis well. More than just a hustle guy right now, scoring 16 points with 3-6 from the three line.

I like the mix the Bucks have right now, and hope they don't make a big change at the trade deadline.

mufan2003
02-01-2019, 03:54 PM
I was on the Budenholzer bandwagon, but sure missed on Wilson. He is playing quality minutes, and like you said MUFan, compliments Giannis well. More than just a hustle guy right now, scoring 16 points with 3-6 from the three line.

I like the mix the Bucks have right now, and hope they don't make a big change at the trade deadline.

Yes, don't do anything to break up this chemistry. Even with the Thon Maker situation, he still maintains a good attitude and is not a distraction. He is under a rookie contract, and the Bucks already exercised their team option for next season. Only move him if you get fair value in return or an opportunity to create more cap space for this summer (Middleton, Brogdon, Lopez, Bledsoe).

mufan2003
02-13-2019, 11:04 PM
Nice win over Indiana! Giannis with another triple double. Indiana doesn't wow you with individual talent, but will be a pain in the ass to play in a playoff series.

Bucks now 29 games over .500 for the first time in franchise history. Should get Mirotic back in the lineup after the All-Star break with a big game against Boston.

mufansince72
02-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Nikola Mirotic

Verified account

@threekola
Following Following @threekola
More
Man , this team is special !!! #FearTheDeer

8:57 PM - 13 Feb 2019 from Indianapolis, IN

Goose85
02-14-2019, 08:29 AM
Nikola Mirotic

Verified account

@threekola
Following Following @threekola
More
Man , this team is special !!! #FearTheDeer

8:57 PM - 13 Feb 2019 from Indianapolis, IN

I think he is really going to be a valuable addition. I will reserve judgment until he has played some games with the Bucks, but Mirotic may be a guy the Bucks want to consider for next season.

Last night was a great example of why this team is so much fun to watch. Get down on the road, guys step up and keep battling and work their way into a win against a good team. Different guys step up, Hill, Ersan, and then there is always Giannis.

Far better Pacer team than I thought, especially after Oladipo was injured.

Enjoy the ride to the playoffs.

mufan2003
03-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Looking at the East race, Boston is reeling. They have not won since the All-Star break, losing 4 in a row. Hard to believe they could finish as the 4th or 5th seed in the East. Milwaukee is 11 games ahead of them in the loss column. The Bucks are also 8 games ahead (loss column) of 3rd place Indiana. 3 game lead (loss column) over 2nd place Toronto, and Milwaukee owns the head-to-head tiebreaker. Knock on wood, but looking good for being no worse than the #2 seed. Hopefully the #1 seed and maybe even finish with best record in the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/standings

Goose85
03-01-2019, 11:43 AM
I am really surprised at Boston. My guess is after this season, Kyrie either joins Lebron in LA, or KD in New York.

Agree that we seem to have a top two seed wrapped up.

This continues to shape up to be a really special season. I will be disappointed if we are not in the Eastern Conference finals. I also think if there is any team out there that can match up with Golden State, that team may be the Bucks. Not saying we would win a 7 game series, but I think we'd have a better chance than anyone else.

mufan2003
03-01-2019, 11:51 AM
I am really surprised at Boston. My guess is after this season, Kyrie either joins Lebron in LA, or KD in New York.

Agree that we seem to have a top two seed wrapped up.

This continues to shape up to be a really special season. I will be disappointed if we are not in the Eastern Conference finals. I also think if there is any team out there that can match up with Golden State, that team may be the Bucks. Not saying we would win a 7 game series, but I think we'd have a better chance than anyone else.

Kyrie has had his issues with the Boston media. Rumor is that he wants to play in NYC. As you mentioned, possibly with Durant. Knicks fans even chanted "Kyrie Irving" after Boston played there. I wouldn't mind seeing Golden State break up either.

I think the Bucks have the best chemistry of any team in the East. Pundits say that Philly might have the most individual talent, but not sure how well they gel together. At this point, I agree, would be disappointing not to make the Eastern Conference Finals. Feels odd saying that when the franchise hasn't won a playoff series since 2001.

mufan2003
03-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Nice accomplishment in reaching the 50-win mark over the weekend. First team in the NBA to do so this season. On pace to reach 60 as well (61 wins based on winning %). 15 games left. Bucks still strong with the #3 offensive rating, #1 defensive rating and #1 net rating in the NBA.

https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2018-19-week-22

Goose85
03-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Nice accomplishment in reaching the 50-win mark over the weekend. First team in the NBA to do so this season. On pace to reach 60 as well (61 wins based on winning %). 15 games left. Bucks still strong with the #3 offensive rating, #1 defensive rating and #1 net rating in the NBA.

https://www.nba.com/powerrankings/2018-19-week-22

They really have made the moves to go for it all this season, with 60 wins being realistic. I think it will come down to how Toronto does. If we have a 4 game lead with 5 games left, you may see some players getting less minutes or resting for a game down the stretch. It would be so awesome to see get the #1 seed for the entire playoffs.

mufan2003
04-04-2019, 11:38 PM
#1 seed and home court advantage locked up through the playoffs. Incredible for a franchise that defined mediocrity for the longest time. Credit coach Budenholzer and Giannis, but this team is just so deep.

Afterthoughts like Sterling Brown and DJ Wilson are now respectable NBA players. Bledsoe having a career year. Brogdon in the 50/40/90 club, need him back for the 2nd round. Lopez has been a perfect fit at the 5. Get Mirotic back for the first round.

3 home games to close the season. With nothing to play for, an opportunity to rest Giannis and others. A perfect scenario for the Bucks. Bring on the playoffs!