PDA

View Full Version : Consensus On Starters?

Phantom Warrior
07-10-2012, 04:12 AM
It seems to me that the most likely starting line up this season will include Junior, Vander, Trent, Jamil, and Chris - assuming everyone is healthy. That doesn't necessarily mean those five will end up with the most mpg, just that they will likely start most games.

It also seems to me that Davante will obviously get significant minutes at the 5 and may even end up with more mpg than CO.

Assuming TM returns, it seems logical that he will be the first reserve on the perimeter as he was last season. He could earn a starting spot, I suppose, but if he does, it almost certainly has to be instead of Vander as I think Junior and Trent are locks, along with Jamil.

A long shot for starter's minutes is T.J.T. though those odds increase if there is no TM.

TheSultan
07-10-2012, 06:36 AM
I think you pretty much have it. TJT is going to get minutes regardless if Mayo returns.

Nukem2
07-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Not so sure that Chris will start. Davante will probably be more physically fit than Chris, who has a long layoff due to the ACL surgery. Whatever, they'll be splitting minutes based on how the games flow

bleedbluegold03
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Regarding Mayo, I understand the intrawebs has enough slander / speculation on the 20 year old with out me throwing mine on the heap but after strotty's input from the other board, I've officially altered my expectations for his participation on the roster for next season

CaribouJim
07-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Not so sure that Chris will start. Davante will probably be more physically fit than Chris, who has a long layoff due to the ACL surgery. Whatever, they'll be splitting minutes based on how the games flow

I agree Nukem2 - even if CO was 100% healthy, I would still go w/ DG - net, net more of an impact player IMO.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
07-10-2012, 11:48 AM

If healthy, which Phantom mentions in the OP, I think Chris is a lock to start. First of all, Buzz is a stats junkie and places a great value on possessions. CO gives us the best chance to win the tip. I also think Buzz wants to set a defensive tone before an offensive one, again CO's specialty. I would go against my opinion last year and think DG stands a chance to get more minutes. Probably a 23/17 split, though as high as 25/15 wouldn't surprise me. But even if Gardner gets 25 mpg, I still think a healthy Otule starts ahead of him. Not because he's the primary center, but because part of utilizing both players strengths means having the bigger man with the larger vertical (and even if CO isn't 100% he probably has a higher vertical than DG) on the floor for the opening tip.

TheSultan
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Start Otule and Vander...bring Gardner and Mayo (hopefully) off the bench for offensive sparks. That is how Buzz usually does it.

warriorfan4life
07-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Start Otule and Vander...bring Gardner and Mayo (hopefully) off the bench for offensive sparks. That is how Buzz usually does it.

And if not Mayo, I think T.J. Taylor could capably fill that role. Also, Steve Taylor will play. Outside of Gardner and the Taylors (and hopefully Mayo), it is open season for the remaining few minutes.

Goose85
07-10-2012, 03:50 PM
After having guys like Lazar, Jimmy, and Jae playing against opposing big men, it is great to have such options at what would normally be considered the center position.

One thing is for sure - we should have depth on this team, especially if Juan can work himself into the rotation coming off an injury and if Jake Thomas can get some minutes throwing in long range 3's.

Junior - Vander - Lockett - Jamil - Otule (if healthy) will start.
TJ Taylor - Mayo - Davante - Steve Taylor - D Wilson - Juan - Jake Thomas are all legitimate for solid minutes off the bench. I still am not sure about Ferguson, but he may need a year of seasoning before getting meaningful minutes. That is a legit 12 deep.

Play defense and you will get on the floor.

TulsaWarrior
07-10-2012, 03:59 PM
The number of switchables is impressive on this roster. Opposition teams will have fits figuring out match ups and that should create a lot of scoring opportunities with mis-matches.

Goose85
07-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Will probably see more of that full court pressure that Buzz used successfully at times last season.