PDA

View Full Version : Marquette is just like...

bleedbluegold03
07-07-2012, 07:17 PM
was wondering where Marquette fans perceive their own program in comparing it to another in the NCAA.

Obviously it would be better to have an unbiased collection from other fans but what do you all think?

I consider Xavier, while in a different situation, the same level of success

warriorfan4life
07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
In our current situation, a top 15-20 program still on the rise (due primarily to Buzz). On the whole, a program in the top 25-35 nationally that overachieves because of strong fan and financial support. If the administrative (financial) support ever wanes, then the program could fall off real quickly because of a so-so natural talent base (that is on a recent upswing, but historically mediocre) and numerous local competitors that would gladly swoop in on that talent.

Xavier is a not a bad comparison, but they have never been to a Final Four and never had a legendary coach like Al go on a 13 year run (and lead the program to an elite level of success like Al in the 70's).

Goose85
07-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Agree we are a consistent top 25 - 35 range program. I do think that with Buzz now that is changing to where we can be a top 25 team annually.

Back to back sweet 16 followed by ranked recruits in consecutive years. This is what has held MU back from a national standpoint, the expectation of continued success by the national folks. We would have a very good year, back to back tourney success and top 20 rankings, but then each year we would have to work our way back to being ranked because of departures and no ranked recruiting classes.

With MU's financial committment to basketball, fan support, recent recruiting classes, high level talent locally and most importantly Buzz Williams - I really think, as part of the Big East, MU can become a perennial top 20 team.

Phantom Warrior
07-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Most MU fans aren't going to like this comparison, but I think MU is a lot like UW in terms of where their basketball programs are and have been over the past seven/eight years. (UW fans are going to HATE this comparison!)

Both program have enjoyed considerable success. MU is one of a handful of programs that have made the NCAA each of the past seven years; so is UW, only the Badgers have been there a little longer than MU. Both programs have one Final Four to their credit since 2000. Both programs have fallen a little short of fans' hopes with respect to NCAA Tournament success despite being successful during the regular season.

Both programs have frequently surpassed pre-season expectations of national media and even coaches in their own conference.

Both programs generally have a few Top 100 recruits on their roster yet frequently beat opponents that have more highly-ranked recruits.

Both programs have avid fan bases, and attendance figures are consistently among the highest in the country.

Obviously, there are differences in the two programs, especially with respect to coaching styles/philosophies. Plus, Buzz has expanded MU's recruiting territory to a much more national scope than Ryan has at UW.

Besides UW, I see many similarities between MU and Villanova, but I still think, MU and UW are very similar, more so than either fan base might want to admit.

TheSultan
07-08-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't think the comparison to UW is a bad one at all. Which is what makes the rivalry so interesting.

JDubMU
07-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Georgetown. Success wise. Villanova style of play and roster makeup wise.

JDubMU
07-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Georgetown. Success wise. Villanova style of play and roster makeup wise.

Phantom Warrior
07-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Over the last seven years - since MU joined the Big East - the Warriors had a record of 165-75 for a winning percentage of 69%. Over that same period of time, UW's record was 175-64 for a winning percentage of 73%.

That's a fairly small difference to begin with, but I think that even UW fans - with the exception of the most extreme of their lunatic fringe - would concede that the Big East was almost always the tougher conference in terms of competition.

During that same seven-year period MU made two Sweet Sixteens, while UW made three. Neither team got further than the S-16 during that time.